Oxford Welsh learners group

To be honest, the “Far From the Madding Crowd” was never my favourite pub, and could sometimes get noisy, but then, so can a lot of pubs.

But it is still a disaster when pubs close, and they’ve been closing faster than we used to lose Elm trees…and unfortunately, new pubs don’t grow on trees … (er, would anyone like to mix that metaphor even more for me…? :slight_smile: )

Alternative pubs: I wondered about the White Rabbit, nearby. (It used to be something else). It can get crowded, but there might be an odd corner.

Also wondered about the White Horse in Broad Street. For a small group, the table tucked into the alcove right at the back could be perfect.

Some serious research is needed here. It’s a demanding job, but someone has to do it …

Non-pubs: I’ve also often wondered about the Jericho cafe. They do sell beer, although only in bottles.

On a more serious, serious note, I have thought for many years that some sort of government action is needed to protect what’s left of our British pubs (and indeed develop them). Unfortunately, the precedents are not good. The previous government but one (I think) forced the breweries to divest themselves of a lot of their pubs, supposedly to create more diversity and competition in the industry. The direct result of that seemed to be the closure of a lot of pubs, and even some breweries (Morlands in Abingdon, and Morrells in Oxford, to name but two). So, we can’t trust governments to do the right thing, unfortunately.

1 Like

The Oxford Welsh Male Voice Choir is putting on a concert to celebrate Dydd Gŵyl Dewi Sant, along with the Côr Caerdydd, on Saturday 28th February 2015.

It starts at 6.30pm with tea, including Welsh specialities, then the concert starts at 7.30 pm.

The Poster is here:

http://www.oxfordwelshmvc.org.uk/documents/st%20dave%20poster2015.pdf
It’s at the Wesley Memorial Methodist Church in New Inn Hall Street.

I was wondering if people might be interested in making this into an extra meetup?

We could either just meet there at 6.30, and chat over tea, or maybe meet earlier at a nearby hostelry, and then go on to the tea/concert.

Thoughts?

I’d endorse the Jericho Cafe, definitely. They have a large downstairs which would work very well.

Just realised that it’s getting to that time again and we have not yet definitely fixed on a meeting place.

There are 2 votes for downstairs in the Jericho Cafe (i.e. Jenny’s and mine).

Are there any other suggestions or thoughts?

Any further thoughts? John?

The Jericho Cafe seems a good suggestion to me - let’s meet there this time and see how it goes - we can always try somewhere else next time if needs be

1 Like

Hi, I’m Pippa, and am keen to give my newly studied Welsh a try. I would love to join you on Tuesday if I may? Have been plucking up the courage for a while now. I’m not very familiar with Oxford (will be coming in from West Oxon) so sorry I can’t add anything to the venue debate.
Pippa

Croeso Pippa,

Very glad to have you join us, so do please come along.

Well, we have 3 votes for the Jericho Cafe and none against, so let’s try that this coming Tuesday, 3rd Feb, 5.30 pm.

Pippa, it is in Walton Street, on the junction with Observatory Street, almost opposite the Phoenix cinema if you happen to know that.

http://www.thejerichocafe.co.uk

If you click the how to find us link, it brings up quite a good map.

There is more space downstairs, so that seems like the best bet. If John brings his Welsh flag, and if I can find my Welsh flag table napkin(!), then there may be some visible signs of Welshness, or with luck there will be audible signs, or you maybe reduced to asking at each table, but please don’t be shy! :slight_smile:

Tan Dydd Mawrth :sunny:

[Edited for correct date. Diolch J.P. :wink: ]

Edit2: Sorry, meant to put in link to @johnwilliams_6 as well. Thanks for your comment John, also for the good suggestion for a poll in the other thread.

1 Like

Thanks for the warm welcome. I’ll do my best to find you!

Hi Pippa, I would like to come to the Oxford meet up too - I did once - but it is just a little bit far for me, I live near Stow on the Wold. I would like to find a few conversationalists who might like to meet in, say Chipping Norton or thereabouts - would there be any takers?
Caroline

1 Like

OK all, see you later on at the Jericho Cafe. The food there really is very good, I’d urge you all to partake!

1 Like

Hi Caroline & in response to the the other thread about additional meet ups, I would be interested in other events and venues to practice Welsh; maybe if there are people who are keen to meet but restricted by distance we could come up with something? There is the Concert, again in Oxford City Centre, on Sat 28th. Mike has suggested a meet up beforehand which I’m hoping to join in with. I am really glad I made the trip into Oxford last night for the meet-up; it was relaxed and lighthearted. Thanks to John, Jenny & Mike

1 Like

Just a reminder about the concert on 28th Feb. Sharron from the choir has sent round an email which I will quote below:

Dear Friends and lovers of all things Welsh!

I hope you don’t mind this general email to promote Oxford Welsh Male Voice Choir’s St David’s Day event on 28th February at Wesley Memorial Church, Oxford. I’ve attached a poster.
A break with our tradition this year – We are welcoming a renowned mixed choir (10 time Eisteddfod winning) ‘Côr Caerdydd’, to join the Oxford Welsh for what promises to be a very special evening of song and jollity. Doors open at 6.30 and we will be serving a full Welsh tea in the adjacent hall. The concert starts at 7.30.
Tickets are just £10. Please contact me if you would like to come and I’ll happily put tickets by for you.
With best wishes

Sharron Jenkinson: on behalf of oxford Welsh Male Voice Choir

So if you would like to reserve a ticket for collection on the door, just send Sharron an email: sharron.jenkinson AT gmail.com

http://www.oxfordwelshmvc.org.uk/documents/st%20dave%20poster2015.pdf

For anyone who would like to meetup beforehand, my provisional suggestion is the cafe on the corner of New Inn Hall Street and George Street (Java & Co) at about 5.30, but open to other suggestions.

@Deborah-SSi If there is time to include this in a newsletter, that would be gwych. Diolch! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sounds like a good plan! Looking forward to it. Pippa

Hi Mike
Have just mailed Sharron for a ticket and hope to see you at ‘Java and co’ beforehand unless I hear otherwise.
Dwi’n edrych ymlaen wela i chi gyd.
Caroline

2 Likes

A quick reminder to everyone that the Oxford group monthly meetup is scheduled for next Tuesday (5.30pm downstairs in the Jericho Cafe, Walton St), although I’ll be away so I’m going to miss both it and the concert on Saturday, unfortunately.

Re additional meetups: as the weather improves, maybe there’d be interest in meeting up for a ‘Welsh walk’ somewhere, which could fit in with Caroline’s suggestion of meeting in or near ‘Chippy’? We could perhaps start near one of the stations on the Oxford-Worcester line, although maybe we could find a better choice that might be more convenient for Pippa as well?

1 Like

Well John, i have discussed with Mike the possibility of a Saturday or Sunday meet to wander around Oxford but if you wish to plan a walk then i would be pleased to join in, especially as you mention near a chippy :sunny:
Cheers J.P.

2 Likes

Hi JP - A weekend Welsh wander around Oxford would indeed be an excellent idea too. I’m going to be otherwise engaged for a couple of weeks, but happy to try and plan something after that if there’s interest

1 Like

Diolch Caroline a Pippa hefyd.

Dwi’n edrych ymlaen hefyd.
(I’m still a bit aurally challenged, so please bear with me! :slight_smile: )
(Not to mention Cymraeg-challenged, wrth gwrs… :slight_smile: )

Bendigedig iawn i gyfarfod Caroline ac ail-cyfarfod Pippa heno
Roedd y cyngerdd yn dda iawn, nac oedd?

Tan y tro nesaf,
Hwyl
Mike