Oxford Welsh learners group

Hoping to be there today too - @rebecca - hope the lurg leaves you alone!

1 Like

I think I’ll give it a miss - coughing and sniffling a bit and don’t want to make you all yn dost. Will focus on beating it in time for Thursday!

OK, diolch @rebecca - hope you manage to fight it off and are feeling better yn fuan / toc / cyn bo hir!

That one was a favourite of my Dad’s, to whom it meant “when I can be bothered…”. :slight_smile:

I’ve read/heard that it replaced the earlier “directly”, used in Victorian or earlier times.

Just reminded me of the somewhat confusing use in Canada (maybe also US?) of ‘momentarily’ to mean ‘shortly’.

A couple of dates for the diary:

And, 2018 being the centenary of the death of Morfydd Llwyn Owen https://www.illuminatewomensmusic.co.uk/illuminate-blog/rhian-davies-an-incalculable-loss-morfydd-owen-1891-1918

• Fri 9 March: Concert by Illuminate of “works of women composers and performers … will programme new works … alongside pieces by a number of historical women composers such as Morfydd Owen …” St Michael’s Church near Northgate
2 Likes

“Stryd Wal y Dref” :slight_smile: Dyfeisgar iawn! :slight_smile:

Beth am “Jude The Obscure” - “Jiwd yr Aneglur” …? :slight_smile:

1 Like

:slight_smile: A former classmate of mine’s dad was born in the top room of “Y Ceffyl Gwyn” (his granddad was the landlord at the time). Partly for that reason, he and another classmate and I have taken to holding our informal annual reunions there. (Also as it happens, my daughter served behind the bar there at one time). It’s another of those interesting little Oxford pubs, although perhaps a bit too “bijou” for a sizeable meetup, and potentially noisy, I suppose.

2 Likes

Did she get a chance to appear behind the bar in any of the many(!) episodes of ‘Morse’ when the Ditectif Brif Arolygydd was drinking in Y Ceffyl Gwyn? Although, I suppose, they might have been filmed somewhere else …

1 Like

A quick reminder about the meetup tomorrow (Thurs 18th) from 12:00 in the Modern Art Oxford cafe, Pembroke St/St Ebbe’s St.
Also for Monday’s 11:00am meetup (22nd Jan) we’ve chosen Arfau y Brenin, Stryd Dreffynon (The King’s Arms, Holywell St, at the far end of Broad St)
Hwyl, John

PS Helo @Deborah-SSi - just to confirm for the newsletter that for the time being we’ve settled on two meetups a week (might be reviewed after Easter):

• Mondays from 11:00am, but in a different pub/cafe each week announced on this thread by the day before
  • Thursdays from 12:00am, Modern Art Oxford (MAO) cafe, Pembroke St/ St Ebbe’s St
    Diolch yn fawr!
3 Likes

I thought briefly that I might make it tomorrow, but one of our shop volunteers has gone down with a nasty lurgy and I have to cover his shift. Oh well, one day…
Sue

That’s bad luck @Betterlatethan - hope you’ll have another chance to join us again soon
Hwyl, John

Can’t be there today - work calls! Hope you all have a good old sgwrs. Hope to see you all on Monday. :smiley_cat:
@Betterlatethan - boo hiss for other’s lurgies, there have been some awful ones around (lurgies, not others :wink:). Very much hope to see you soon!

1 Like

I’m glad I didn’t come on Monday, otherwise I’d be convinced that it’s my fault that you lot are doing like flies. Get well soon, everyone suffering with the lurgy! I’m better (or at least less infectious) than I was in Monday so I’ll see all who can make it at MAO in just over an hour.

1 Like

Glad to hear you’re feeling much better now - see you there and anyone else who can make it today. Hwyl, John

1 Like

A quick reminder about the meetup tomorrow:

1 Like

I’ll be there! :smile_cat:

1 Like

Yn anffodus there will be no sgwrsing for me this week :frowning: Late morning meeting in Oxford tomorrow then in Egham Tuesday to Friday. Hope you all have fun. I just noticed a couple of new challenges have been added to the southern SSIW course, so will work through these during my hours of commuting in the hope that I won’t forget everything before the next time!

Sorry to hear you can’t make it this week - good luck with the new challenges!

1 Like

A reminder that our next meetup will be from 12:00 in the MAO cafe this Thursday, 25th Jan.

This also happens to be Dydd Santes Dwynwen for which the Cymdeithas Dafydd ap Gwilym have organised this event (SSiW folk welcome to attend):

2 Likes