Oxford Welsh learners group

My daughter arrives in Oxford by train on Thursday. Depending on the time of the train, I might make it to MAO for a while before meeting her train. Hoping to see you all.
Sue

2 Likes

Sorry to miss you all this week, but made a fun discovery at work today: one of the admin staff in my dept has learnt a bit of Welsh in the past! Cue a spur of sgwrsing when I was doing some paperwork today :blush: Only another bloominā€™ Gog though rolls eyes :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Ahem. Finest kind.

1 Like

Brilliant!

Especially brilliant! :slight_smile:

A customer came into the village shop the other day and said ā€œgood morningā€ in three or four languages, just for fun. Hearing ā€œBore daā€, I pounced. It seems that he went to university in Wales and learned a bit while he was there. Unfortunately other customers were waiting and we couldnā€™t attempt a conversation. There must be loads of people who know a little bit of Welsh - they just donā€™t advertise the fact.
Sue

3 Likes

Not sure if these are still available, but it would be nice if there was a big push to make sure they are and to encourage people to wear them, even in Lloegr

https://forum.saysomethingin.com/t/welsh-learner-badge-bathodyn-dysgwr-cymraeg/1361/5

1 Like

A quick last minute reminder about the MAO cafe meetup this lunchtime (Thurs 25th)

For the 11:00am meetup on Mondayā€™s (29th Jan) letā€™s meet in the Tafarn y Dywarchen, Stryd Fadd / Turf Tavern, Bath St, off Holywell St. As itā€™s well hidden from view (unless you happen to be standing on the city walls :slight_smile:), for anyone who might not know it, hereā€™s a map of how to get there:

This time I did phone to check that it will actually be open at 11:00am!:slight_smile:

The Thursday (1st Feb) meetup will be as usual from12:00 in the MAO cafe, Pembroke St

Hwyl, John

1 Like

Hope to see you there.
Hwyl, John

Forgot to tag @cat-1 @mikeellwood @rebecca @Betterlatethan @RichardBuck - but hopefully youā€™re keeping an eye on this thread anyway :slight_smile:

Sorry, I have to be elsewhere the next two Thursdays. I hope to make it on Thursday 15th. Monday 12 Feb just might be possible. Iā€™ll keep an eye on the forum for the venue.
Sue

Iā€™m working tomorrow :angry: Silly work!
Hoping to be back to publand on Monday though! :smile:

Lois has just published this termā€™s Cymdeithas Dafydd ap Gwilym term card on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204370244533553&set=gm.1847953248550618&type=3&ifg=1 Apart from the rugby :slight_smile:, thereā€™s what could be an interesting seminar on Walesā€™ special links with Lesotho on 13th Feb and St Davidā€™s Day events on 1st & 3rd March - any of us should be able to attend if interested.

Hwyl, John
PS And why not? :slight_smile: ā€¦ another quick plug for todayā€™s lunchtime meetup!

2 Likes

For the 11:00am meetup next Monday, 5th Feb, weā€™ll be again in the
Tafarn y Dywarchen, Plas Fadd / Turf Tavern, Bath Place, off Holywell St (see above for directions, if needed) - if tall, watch your head on entering (last week I didnā€™t :grimacing: )! Hope to see you there.
Hwyl, John

2 Likes

One last quick reminder about the meetup tomorrow (Mon 5th) ā€¦
Hwyl, John

In reply to message from @cat-1,
I canā€™t come on Thurs 8th, but probably can on Thurs 15th at MAO.
I might be able to come on Mon 12 if it happens. Which pub would it be? 11:00?
Sue

1 Like

I can come tomorrow, and as things stand could come on Monday and (somewhat late) on Thursday next week. (Probably ā€˜orā€™ rather than ā€˜andā€™, though.)

1 Like

Hi @RichardBuck. Iā€™ve emailed the nons to see who might come tomorrow and will let you know.
@Betterlatethan and @RichardBuck - Iā€™ve said to the others the Turf Tavern again for Mon (11am) - it was really nice and there are only a few of us available at the moment so thought it might be easier, but if anyone wants to meet somewhere else, just say and Iā€™ll let the others know.
Unfortunately Iā€™m off games tomorrow and next week because of half term, but back on Mon 19th if anyone wants to join me? :relaxed:

@RichardBuck - Clive canā€™t be there tomorrow so it looks like itā€™s a no go :disappointed: unless I get a flurry of emails in the nightā€¦

OK ā€“ thanks for co-ordinating. Iā€™ll look to check tomorrow, but failing any such flurry I may just stay home with my Lleucu Roberts :slight_smile:

1 Like