Oxford Welsh learners group

Diolch John. Dw i’n dal i fyw! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Diolch i bawb for a lovely sgwrs today - apologies for late arrival and early emergency departure! Son No 1 still alive and well, you’ll be glad to hear.
Caffi Meic is brilliant - well worth a visit to natter yn y Gymraeg!

Didn’t see this before :joy:

Happens to us all!
I’m going to elevate the status of said argyfwng - Argyfwng Y Gwair! The Hay Emergency! It’s deffo a Marple thing now! Also sounds a bit Merched Y Wawr. Geez - I’m gonna need a headscarf… :upside_down:

2 Likes

I can make Headington by bike or bus from home about as easily as the centre, perhaps more so.

1 Like

Helo pawb, don’t forget (as if you would! :slight_smile:) there’ll be a meet-up tomorrow, Thurs 22nd, as usual from 12:00 onwards in the MAO cafe . Hope to see you there
Hwyl, John

3 Likes

I’ve got a poorly sproglet again :weary:
Another duvet day for me I’m afraid…
Hope you all have a good natter and I hope to be back on Monday :relaxed:

2 Likes

Dw ii’n yn MOMA rwan.
don i ddim yn hollol siwr os oedd MOMA yn dal y lle cywir, ond efallai mae’n iawn.:slight_smile:

Being Easter week there may not be so many of us about, but we’ll still be having our Monday meetup (26 March) from 11:00am in the Deli Cafe in Abingdon Rd (although it may now be called the Bap Cafe :confused: - have to check tomorrow with owner Mike!) which is 2-3 minutes on the other side of Folly Bridge - see earlier post for map if needed

Our Thursday meetup (29 March) will also be going ahead, as usual from 12:00 in the MOMA/MAO cafe, Pembroke St. (where there’s also the opportunity to see the exhibition
The Family in Disorder: Truth or Dare by Cinthia Marcelle)

All welcome and do let me know if you have any questions (about the meetups - you’re on your own re the exhibition! :slight_smile: )
Hwyl, John
PS Diolch i bawb am sgyrsiau da’r wythnos diwetha / Thanks to all for the meetups last week.

1 Like

Sorry, I can’t come on either day. I have a much-needed gasman coming on Monday to look at the boiler, and I have to be elsewhere on Thursday. Not Easter Monday either - I’m working in the shop.

I suspect that the Delicatessen Cafe was the name given by the previous owners, and Mike may well wish to substitute a name of his own.

Yes, I have seen the exhibition. I suggest going in to the smaller room at the back first.
Sue

Diolch Sue - hope the boiler problem is not too expensive.
Have a good Easter!
John

Got my fingers crossed for tomorrow!
Bap cafe has a good ring to it. Not as good as Bwyty Bap though :grinning:
Small people finish half day on Thursday so I doubt I’ll wangle that one. Will have to console myself with religious amounts of chocolate. :chocolate_bar:

2 Likes

A quick reminder about tomorrow’s (Thurs 29th) 12:00 meetup in the MAO Cafe.

For next week, with Monday being Easter Bank Holiday I suspect that most people will be otherwise occupied that day so I suggest we just have the one meetup on Thursday next week (5th April), but do please let me know if you’d like to meet up anyway for a sgwrs on Monday @mikeellwood @Betterlatethan @cat-1 @RichardBuck @rebecca or anyone else who might be interested. One or two of you have already said you can’t make it so no need to let me know again unless you’ve changed your mind.
Have a good Easter / Mwynhewch Y Pasg
Hwyl, John

2 Likes

Helo - not sure if you’ll see this in the cafe, but I can’t make today, unfortunately – an early end to the school day and a man coming to look at some day have rather squeezed the day from both ends, I’m afraid. I can’t count on making anything over the Easter period, either, as I’ll either be with the plant or away in Gogledd Lloegr for much of it – but I should be around for either one or other of the 7th or 14th, if fritillaries are happening.
Pob hwyl i bawb!

1 Like

Helo pawb - a quick post-Pasg post to remind about our meetup on Thursday (5th April) from 12:00 in the MAO cafe, Pembroke St.

ALSO, as MAO now seems more popular=more noisy :frowning: , it’ll be an opportunity to discuss an alternative venue for our lunchtime Thursday meetups from next week on (suggestions on this thread also welcome, of course) .

Hope you’ve all had a good Pasg/Easter (whether chocolate-filled or not :slight_smile:)
Hwyl, John

1 Like

I am going on a short walk with the Ramblers from Abingdon on Thursday, but, depending on how short the walk turns out to be, it is not impossible that I might turn up at MAO. Sorry I can’t be more definite.
Sue

1 Like

Yes, do let’s meet somewhere else on Thursdays. Although I enjoyed talking to @johnwilliams_6 and Clive, (Thank you both), I was really struggling to hear through the background noise.
Are we at Caffi Bap Meic on Monday?
Sue

Diolch am y sgwrs/Thanks for the chat @Betterlatethan and Clive

Yes, that’s right, as usual from 11am. Next Thursday it’s still to be decided, but The Turf tavern or Town Hall cafe are possibilities - thoughts on these and other suggestions welcome
Hwyl, John

Do wish I could be there on Monday - I’m still on holiday duties next week. Hoping to return from the land of mad, child-based chaos, to the land of sgwrs Cymraeg next Monday (and even Thursday too if I can wing it!).

Helo pawb - this week’s Monday meet-up (9 April) will again be from 11am in Welsh Mike’s Bap Cafe, Abingdon Rd (a couple of minutes over Folly Bridge, just past the White House pub).

There’s a change in venue for our Thursday 12:00 meet-up (12 April) to the Turf Tavern
(In the MAO cafe noise has been making it difficult to hear at times - we’ll be trying out the Royal Blenheim pub next door later as an alternative but, as it’s undergoing a refurb at the moment, we’re off to the Turf as a temporary measure - alternative suggestions for the following week welcome :slight_smile:.
As always, all welcome and do post a message or PM if you have any questions or would like more info
Hwyl, John

1 Like

A quick reminder (to me as much as everyone else!) that tomorrow’s meetup (12:00 Thurs 12th) will be in The Turf Tavern and NOT the usual MAO cafe. As it’s well hidden down some alleways, in case anyone’s unsure how to get there, here’s a map:

Hwyl, John

2 Likes

A date for the diary: Sat 28th April at 7.30pm the Eisteddfod of Cymdeithas Dafydd ap Gwilym, the University’s Welsh Society (https://www.facebook.com/events/189884145135087/) and SSiW folk are welcome to attend:

• Come one, come all to the Mitre tavern, High Street, on Saturday 28th April (Week 1, Trinity) to the Dafydd ap Gwilym Society’s annual eisteddfod.

• There are plenty of competitions that are open to EVERYONE - from a vocal to a public speaking competition! We will also reward the best items of the evening. The Eisteddfod will be informal so we welcome items of all standards.- from high to low.

• The adjudication will be one of the university’s alumni, the poet and writer, Llŷr Gwyn Lewis. The highlight of the eisteddfod will be a series of ceremonies (including a traditional chairing ceremony!) to celebrate the winners of our literary competitions. This year, the Society invited Welsh secondary school pupils to compete in two literary competitions.

• If competing doesn’t take your fancy, then you’re welcome to come to enjoy a night of entertainment. Invite your friends, all are welcome to experience a night of Welsh culture!

1 Like