Oxford Welsh learners group

This coming week’s Monday meet-up (16th April) will again be from 11am in Welsh Mike’s Bap Cafe, Abingdon Rd (over Folly Bridge, just past the White House pub). Unfortunately, unless he’s changed his plans, Mike won’t be there that day so no sgwrs Gymreig with whoever’s behind the counter, I’m afraid…and unfortunately I won’t be able to make it either as I have an appointment that morning, so please do say if you’re planning to be there so that it’ll be clear whether there’s a ‘quorum’ (i.e. 2+ :slight_smile:) on Monday.

Seems that while @Betterlatethan, Clive and I were enjoying our sgwrs elsewhere, the Royal Blenheim was celebrating its reopening, so let’s make the meetup at 12:00 Thursday 19th April there and we can check out whether anyone behind the bar in the ‘Welsh pub’ does speak Welsh! :slight_smile: If you don’t know it, by the way, it’s on the corner of Pembroke & St Ebbe’s Streets right nextdoor to MAO
Hwyl, John

1 Like

Yes! Forgot to say that I had seen that that was happening! That’s what comes of holiday insanity and your youngest turning five :astonished:
Monday is undecided for me - work that I couldn’t do in the Easter break might catch me up, but I’m going to come Thursday. After all, there may be CHIPS!

1 Like

… but will they be allowed onto the new upmarket menu? :worried:

1 Like

Sorry everyone, I can’t come on Monday or Thursday, but I look forward to hearing the verdict on the Royal Blenheim.
Sue

1 Like

A reminder that our midday meet-up tomorrow (Thurs 19 April) will be in a new (and newly reburbished :slight_smile:) venue, The Royal Blenheim, Oxford’s Welsh pub on the corner of Pembroke & St Ebbe’s St (next door to MAO). Hope you can make it - and, of course all welcome, especially newcomers.
Hwyl, John

2 Likes

Sorry about the typo! :disappointed:

2 Likes

I liked their reburbishment, didn’t you? :smile_cat:

Yes, neis iawn (though I never saw the original burbishment…:slight_smile:)

PS Sorry @cat-1 - seems I got my ‘Caers’ mixed up - Caerloyw is Gloucester, Leicester is actually Caerlŷr (:sheep:-ish)

1 Like

A quick confirmation that there’s another meetup from 11am Monday (23rd) in Welsh Mike’s Bap Cafe in Abingdon Road, a couple of minutes walk on the other side of Folly Bridge.
Also after we, i.e. @cat-1, Jo, Clive, Richard W and me, have given it our seal of approval :slight_smile:, the midday Thursday (26th) meetup will again be in the Royal Blenheim pub, corner of Pembroke/St Ebbe’s St.
Hwyl, John
PS Don’t forget we have a Thames-side walk schedule for Sat 28th from central Oxford to the Iffley Meadow nature reserve

2 Likes

I hope to be there on Monday, though I will have to leave promptly again to get to Pilates. Thursday is doubtful.
Sue

1 Like

I have an ill boy at home with me today, so no sgwrsing for me, I’m afraid. :expressionless:
Hoping to see pawb yn y pub Thursday :fries::coffee::beer:

Bad luck both! :disappointed: - See you Thursday then, “fingers-crossed-type emoticon”

An interesting feature of a cafe with only two tables is that you are likely to share a table with a complete stranger. While waiting for @johnwilliams_6 I was chatting (in English) with a charming lady who lives nearby. I said that I had come to have a conversation in Welsh, and she said “How wonderful”, which seemed a very suitable reply. She learned to say “Hwyl fawr” on leaving, though I referred her to Welsh Mike for the correct pronunciation. Maybe I should have gone for “Da bo chi” for goodbye, but she seemed like an old friend after our chat. Well, it all raises awareness.

I hope the bachgen bach recovers quickly, @cat-1.

3 Likes

Brilliant! :smiley: Convert them one phrase at a time!
Bachgen bach is as chirpy as anything - should have brought him along! Although he will insist on going off on long English monologues…

3 Likes

A quick reminder about tomorrow’s meet-up midday Thursday (26th) meetup in the Royal Blenheim pub, corner of Pembroke/St Ebbe’s St. Hope to see you there!
Hwyl, John

1 Like

Small bach feeling better, but passed the flipping lurgy to me! I’m yn y gwely feeling hard done by :pouting_cat:
Please eat tsips on my behalf.

Sorry to hear that @cat-1 :worried: - gwella yn fuan! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Time again for a quick reminder about this week’s meetups, on Monday 30 April from 11:00am in the Bap Cafe in Abingdon Rd and also on Thursday 3 May from 12 noon in the Royal Blenheim pub, Pembroke/St Ebbe’s St.
Hwyl, John
PS On Tuesday, Welsh Mike’s opening at 6am for Calan Mai revellers and is planning to entertain them with a few songs accompanying himself on his guitar. Will he be practising on Monday? You’ll have to join us in the Bap Cafe to find out :grinning:

2 Likes

Sorry, it is very unlikely that I will be able to come to either.
Sue