Oxford Welsh learners group

What, like start insisting that they have to learn Welsh now?

1 Like

Superb idea @RichardBuck. if they did a Welsh version of Minecraft I might just get somewhere!

If anyone should find themselves dragged into McDonalds in Oxford, it seems thereā€™s a small bonus for dysgwyr - Kieran Thomas of Cymdeithas Dafydd ap Gwilym has discovered that their touch-screen ordering machine has a Welsh language option :slight_smile: :
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10214608745844819&set=gm.1993930057286269&type=3&theater

4 Likes

Hi everyone, myself and a couple of friends have been running an informal meetup for a few months now but have decided we want to try and get more people in!

And crucially itā€™s during the evening - we meet on Wednesdayā€™s at 8:30pm at the Big Society, Cowley Road.

At the moment thereā€™s 4-5 of us ranging from 20s to a little bit older, and we spend lots of time talking about the roots of Welsh words, politics, music and all sorts.

Itā€™d be arddechog if anyone wants to join us! Let me know if anyone is thinking of coming along next Weds 20th.

4 Likes

Just to confirm next weekā€™s meetups, 1100 Monday 18th in the Bap Cafe and 1200 Thursday 21st in the Royal Blenheim, and not forgetting the evening meet up on Wed 20th announced by @s-coates1 in the post above
Hwyl, John

1 Like

Helo @s-coates1 - congratulations on getting this evening meetup up and running - this is great!

This is something covered by Harrietā€™s course at Plas Tan Y Bwlch which Iā€™d really recommend if any of you have the possibility of attending the next one in September

https://forum.saysomethingin.com/t/help-more-people-needed-for-a-weekend-about-welsh-language-and-literature-in-snowdonia-next-month/12442
Hwyl, John

2 Likes

Iā€™m not there today - boo hiss! Is anyone coming on Thursday? :circus_tent:

Iā€™ll be there :slight_smile: ā€¦ and today as well (hope I wonā€™t be the only oneā€¦:worried:)

1 Like

Will be there on Thursday assuming all is smooth with work this week (hah). And also on Wednesday for the length of time it take me to drink a pint.

2 Likes

Hi @s-coates1. Are you happy for me to include this in the list of meetups at the end of the SSiW weekly newsletter? If so, Iā€™ll put you there as the contact person. It sounds like a great opportunity!

2 Likes

Hi Dee, yes do go ahead! Diolch :smiley:

2 Likes

Iā€™ll be sure to mention it on Wednesday! Sadly I wonā€™t be able to get away for a few weekends now!

1 Like

A double-quick double reminder that thereā€™ll be:

• a meetup tonight (Wed 20th) at 8.30pm at the Big Society, Cowley Road

• and a meetup tomorrow (Thurs 21st) from 1200 in the Royal Blenheim, corner St Ebbeā€™s/Pembroke St,

Hope you can make it to one or the other (or both! :slight_smile:)
Hwyl, John

2 Likes

Not there today again! Triple sorry, felling a bit bereft! Son is having a violin recital at school. Apparently I knew! Sometimes I wonder if I have another brain somewhere. :tired_face:

Oh dear! Youā€™ll have to imagine youā€™re at Eisteddfod yr Urdd and think Welsh thoughts :slight_smile: - More meetups next week though and thereā€™s still a walk faintly pencilled in for this weekend, or maybe next ā€¦ ?

1 Like

Time for this weekā€™s Oxford meetup reminders :slight_smile:

• 11:00am tomorrow (Mon 25th) in the Bap Cafe, Abingdon Rd
  • 8:30pm Wed 27th at the Big Society, Cowley Rd (contact @s-coates1 for more info on this one)
  • 12.00 Thurs 28th in the Royal Blenheim, St Ebbes/Pembroke St

Hope you can make it to one of these - two or three woukd be even better! :slight_smile:
Hwyl, John

1 Like

I am back and hoping to make it on Monday, but not Thursday. Never on Wednesday evening unfortunately.
Sue

2 Likes

Iā€™m hopeful for tomorrow too (would pawb like to cross their fingers that small ill child who looks promisingly jolly today remains so tomorrow?).
:pray::pray::pray:

3 Likes

Croesi bysedd

1 Like

Wedi eu croesi!