Oxford Welsh learners group

Helo Sue.

Thanks very much. I’ll see you and anyone elase who can make it on Thursday 12 noon.

How will I spot you (and other SSIWers)? Do you tend to sit in the same place or will you be waving a Ddraig goch?

I’ve got fair hair, a beard, 50 ish and probably looking bewildered! I’ll wear a Dysgu Cymraeg badge or two.

For any problems on the day or the day before as I’ll be in Oxford on Wednesday as well, please take my phone number 07875 826361. It’s a dumb phone so I can’t get the internet on it. (Really must join the 21st century.
)

If anyone can make the Big Society on Wednesday night, please let me know.

Kind regards,

David

1 Like

Hi @cat-1,
Great. I shall aim to be there at 11am. If @RichardBuck makes it too then that will be even better.
Sue

1 Like

Helo David,

I don’t know where people usually sit because I don’t often make it on Thursdays, but I shall sit in the seat next to the entrance door. It’s not the most comfortable, so we could move to a better seat afterwards. I have short fair hair, 70 ish. I don’t own a badge, but I shall think about printing out a little flag.

Anyone else?

Sue

1 Like

Hi David,

Great to hear from you! We’re at the Big Society on Cowley Road from 8:30pm - there’s usually 4 or 5 of us, mostly 30 somethings and we stay for a couple of hours. I’ll message you my number so we can be sure to find each other!

1 Like

Hi Sue - & @cat-1 - it’s looking less likely I’ll make this morning as we’re only expecting to get to Leamington about 10:30, I’m afraid.

1 Like

Hi Richard,
That’s a pity, but we’ll see you again soon I’m sure. Clive turned up too, so there were three of us.

Clive said something about ddydd Iau as we were leaving, but I didn’t catch whether he was saying that he might come or he couldn’t come. @david_cumner, Clive might or might not join us. He is one of the Oxford learners group, but not on the forum.
Sue

2 Likes

Here’s the Doodle poll I’ve set up so people can indicate, if they wish, which days they can or might be able to get to a meetup over the holidays (It runs through to thestart of September but it doesn’t show timeslots, unfortunately). Hopefully this’ll be useful rather than a bit of a ffaf!

Hwyl, John

3 Likes

Thanks, Sue. I’m sure I’ll spot you.

Look forward to meeting you on Thursday at noonish

Hwyl,

David

Thanks, S!

I look forward to meeting you all tomorrow night at the Big Soc

Should you have to cancel or anything unforeseen like that tomorrow, here’s my dumb phone (no internet) number:
07875 826361.

Hwyl,

David

The tentative (I.e. hoping someone can make it :slight_smile:) schedule for next week:

• Mon 30th from 11:00am in the Bap Cafe, Abingdon Rd
  • Wed 1st from 8:30pm in the Big Society, Cowley Rd (check with @s-coates1 for more info)
  • Thurs 2nd from 12:00 in the Royal Blenheim, St Ebbes/Pembroke St

I won’t be able to make Monday or Wednesday but am planning to be there on Thursday - see you then I hope
Hwyl, John

PS Sorry to have missed you @david_cumner - hope you had a good visit to Oxford

Thanks, @johnwilliams_6

I hope that you had a good time and enjoyed the course.

I enjoyed meeting @david_cumner and Clive on Thursday.

On Monday I am currently planning to be at the Bap Cafe. Clive said that he would be there too. Anyone else?

I can’t make it on Thursday unless other arrangements fall through.

Sue

Not here this week - off on my holidays! Gearbox is crunchy, so wish us luck! :relaxed:

I did have a good, if sweaty, visit, thanks John.

It was good to meet Sam, Laura and David on Wednesday night and Sue and Clive at Thursday lunchtime. Thanks to all for the sgwrsiau.

John, I’m interested in doing the Welsh language and lit. course you’ve just been on at Tan Y Bwlch, so I’m very much looking forward to hearing what it was like for you.

D

Pob lwc @cat-1 gobeithio bydd popeth yn lawn! :slight_smile:

Change of plan this end means I might be able to make it on Monday after all.

1 Like

Glad to hear you had a good visit @david_cumner !

Some wires crossed a bt here - at Plas Tan Y Bwlch it was a walking weekend aimed at Welsh learners led by Catrin Roberts who talked about history of the places we were passing through and the wild life (if you saw the Cynefiin series on S4C, one of the people who was in the Blaenau Ffestioniog episode talking about the area and who’s also a Welsh tutor).

The literature course for Welsh learners was at Nant Gwrtheyrn in May with Bethan Gwanas as tutor and focusing on extracts from a selection of books by some living Welsh authors, e.g. Lleucu Roberts, Ifor ap Glyn (who also came to talk to us), Sonia Edwards, Manon Steffan Ros (who was also going to come and talk to us but unfortunatel was ill at the tine, and so her editor substituted for her), Mihangel Morgan (I’ve a feeling I’ve forgotten one of the authors), the object of course being to get plenty of practice speaking Welsh with the extracts providing a discussion topic - Bethan G was a great tutor and there was a lot of hwyl, so highly recommended depending on where you are with your Welsh (the course was classified as Uwch). Hope this helps
Hwyl, John

2 Likes

& a great weekend it was too! I’d happily recommend it to anyone.
There were 7 of us on the course & we were all SSiWers!
Good to catch up with you there @johnwilliams_6

1 Like

Yes, indeed it was!
And good to meet up again with you too @pippapritchard

1 Like

Since @Deborah-SSi mentioned this in the e-mail, I thought that it would be a good idea to put a reminder here. So far it looks as if only @johnwilliams_6 and I have filled it in, mostly with days that don’t coincide…
Is anyone else available at all over the summer?
Or are other people there but I can’t see them?
Sue

1 Like

Diolch @Betterlatethan - you should be able to see everyone who’s completed the poll so it seems it’s only ti a fi at the moment. What about you @cat-1 @RichardBuck @rebecca @mikeellwood @Laura_P_87 and anyone else who might like to come to a meetup, a walk or some other activity over the summer holidays? Some earlier alternative suggestions here:

[quote]Some pub lunches
A few picnics in the summer (@cat-1 suggested one at a polo match in Kirtlington - don’t have to watch the match if you don’t want to :slight_smile: )
River trip - Folly Bridge-Abingdon
Meetup with another SSiW group (Milton Keynes, Coventry, Bristol etc ?), maybe somewhere midway
Visit to an Oxford museum or Colleges etc, etc (maybe in Welsh?)
Central Oxford walk - Botanic Gardens, University Parks, Christchurch Meadow etc
[/quote]
Hwyl, John
PS Is anyone planning on going to the Eisteddfod?

Is anyone planning to be at the Bap Cafe on Monday? If not then I won’t go either.
Sue