Oxford Welsh learners group

OK, Diolch @cat-1 - tan wythnos nesa, gobeithio

The more the merrier!:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Diolch - diddorol! - and thinking about it there must have been quite a few small Welsh dairies which set up shop within the sound of Bow Bells, so there are likely to have been a good few cocnis Cymraeg around :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not precisely the same thing, but when I used to live in Acton (west London) I went to the shop at the end of my street to buy some eggs and found that the eggs I bought were from a farm in the same (very remote) area of Sir Benfro where my mother lived :open_mouth:

It was great to see @johnwilliams_6, @RichardBuck, @Betterlatethan, and Clive again today, and to meet @rachaelseculer-faber - a pretty lively turnout! Tan yr wythnos nesa!

2 Likes

Yes, today was very enjoyable.
I got my weeks mixed - not unusual these days.
Next Thursday 25 Nov - probably yes.
Thursday 1 Nov - definitely no.
Thursday 8 Nov - maybe.

Monday 22 Oct - probably yes. After that I’m not sure.

@rachaelseculer-faber Your CD has Phil Tanner singing The Gower Reel. That’s wonderful. My Dad had a 78rpm record of him singing this, and another of him singing the Gower Wassail Song. Memories of childhood!
Sue

2 Likes

Yes, diolch i @rebecca @RichardBuck @Betterlatethan @rachaelseculer-faber a Clive am y sgwrs heddiw!

By the way, here’s a link to the S4C programme I mentioned showing Guto Harri talking with Cymdeithas Dafydd ap Gwylim folk in the Royal Blenheim (the piece on Oxford students begins at about 1’ 20" but it doesn’i get to the tafarn until arounf 5’ 50"):
http://www.s4c.cymru/clic/programme/799249722

Seems it’s byd bach for Welsh eggs as well as for people* ! :slight_smile: (* E.g. on the Dolgellau walk it turns out that one of them who lives in Aberystwyth is a friend of Ros Temple)

There’ll be the usual three meetups next week:

• Monday, 22 Oct, from 11am in Welsh Mike’s Bap Cafe, Abingdon Rd (over Folly Bridge, just past the White House pub)
  • Wednesday 24 Oct from 8.30pm in The Big Society, Cowley Rd - contact @s-coates1 (note that there’s a possibility of a change of day and venue for the following weeks - watch this space!:slight_smile:)
  • Thursday, 25 Oct, in The Royal Blenheim, St Ebbe’s/Pembroke St from 12 noon.

Hwyl, John

PS I’ll be hoping to make it to the Monday &Thursday meetups

1 Like

Half term here! No Welsh fun for me until next week!

Just heard from ‘Welsh Mike’ that the cafe will unfortunately be closed on Monday :disappointed:
I suggest that instead we go to the New Bodleian Library Cafe, in Broad St, which has worked quite well in the past.
As best I remember, only @Betterlatethan, Clive and I were planning on join Monday’s meetup, but maybe being in the Bodleian Cafe might allow @rachaelseculer-faber to join us for a quick break?
Hwyl, John

1 Like

Thanks, @johnwilliams_6. I shall go to the New Bodleian Cafe.
Sue

1 Like

No Welsh sgwrs for me this week, what with half term. Solitary Pobol Y Cwm watching only. Have fun, everyone, and see you next week!

2 Likes

Anyone want to join me at the Oxford Welsh Male Voice Choir concert on Saturday eve?

1 Like

Diolch @rachaelseculer-faber - yes, I’m thinking of going along to this - let’s tag the others to make sure they see it (NB Plantos am dim!) - @cat-1 @mikeellwood @RichardBuck @rebecca @Betterlatethan @Laura_P_87 @s-coates1 ?
Hwyl, John

Possibly - will need to double check how far away pay day is first - it looks like a lovely evening!

1 Like

Well, I bought a ticket yesterday - is any one else planning on joining us? (It’s at 7.30pm, by the way - they seem to have forgotten to include that rather useful bit of info on the poster - and it’ll be 2 hours 15mins with interval)

The meetups for Calan Gaeaf/Hallowe’en week are

• Monday, 29 Oct, from 11am in Welsh Mike’s Bap Cafe, Abingdon Rd (NB It doesn’t look as if I’ll be able to make this one so do please say if you’re planning to be there so that others know)
  • Wednesday 31 Oct from 8.30pm in The Big Society, Cowley Rd (NB not sure about this as there’s been talk of a change of day and venue - what’s the latest on this @s-coates1? @Laura_P_87? @rachaelseculer-faber?)
  • Thursday, 1 Nov, in The Royal Blenheim, St Ebbe’s/Pembroke St from 12 noon

Hwyl, John
PS Diolch eto @rachaelseculer-faber for suggesting to us last night’s Oxford Welsh Male Voice Choir/Côr Meibion De Cymru concert - it was a great evening!

1 Like

Hi all,
At the moment the Wednesday evening meetup is sticking to this time (8.30) and place (Big Society) - one of me or Sam will post if that’s going to change. It’s also worth maybe letting us know if you’re coming, especially for first time, so we can look out for you :slight_smile:

It’s been really great to have SSIW folks along - we’ve had nights with 5 which is gwych!

Would anyone be up for a Saturday daytime coffee and natter sometime?

Laura

Diolch @Laura_P_87! - I’ll email those who don’t use the forum about the Saturday panad - sounds a great idea! :slight_smile:

I shall wait to see if anybody says that they can be at the Bap Cafe on Monday. Although I am sort of free until 12:00, it is a bit of a rush.
Sue

1 Like

I can’t this week - inset day at school. Every time I say it the kids hurl themselves into a full on debate on what an insect day entails. :mosquito: Planning on joining in on Thursday though!

3 Likes