Oxford Welsh learners group

It occurred to me that I won’t make this Thursday’s meet up because I need to be in Surrey :sob::sob::sob: I am pretty rusty after half term because the kids won’t let me listen to ssiw in the car … despite also frequently complaining about the fact that they aren’t learning Welsh like their cousin :roll_eyes:

Oh, that’s a pity! :disappointed: Do you think you’ll be able to make it the following week or is it looking as if Thursday’s might be problematic? Laura has suggested a Saturday panad+sgwrs but I guess that could be diifficult for you.

Maybe the plantos could be distracted from their complaints with some Welsh language comics… :slight_smile:
https://forum.saysomethingin.com/t/comics-of-classic-welsh-tales/14467

Thankfully it’s a one-off this Thursday, and I should be back to sgwrsing up a storm next week! Saturdays are not great for me, unfortunately, given the children’s busy social lives and increasing sporty commitments. I am mostly a gwasanaeth tacsi :confused:

Thank you! I will get them to take a look!

Hi all,
A quick bump about tonight’s meeting in Big Society at 8.30!

I spotted a myfyrwraig in college today with a Welsh dictionary and grammar book and was able to use the immortal ‘Dych chi’n siarad Cymraeg?!’ from across the corridor - started a really nice chat about learning and have (hopefully) helped a new learner meet some speakers!

Laura

Great! Well done, Laura!

As @Laura_P_87 says we had a new person along last night - Welsh being only 1 of their 4 or 5 languages!

We’re trying to find out a place to watch the rygbi on Saturday but since England are playing at the same time, it may be hard to find anywhere showing it…any ideas welcome!

Hi all,

The Thursday evening group have found a pub in Oxford that won’t be showing the England game that clashes with Wales tomorrow! We’ll be meeting from 2pm in the Marsh Harrier, Marsh Road if anyone fancies joining.

*Wednesday evening group :slight_smile:

In previous years Cymdeithas Dafydd ap Gwilym included watching Wales rugby matches in the Royal Blenheim on their term card, but this year they’ve only included football - od iawn!

Time for a reminder about this week’s meetups :slight_smile::

• Monday, 5 Nov, from 11am in Welsh Mike’s Bap Cafe, Abingdon Rd
  • Wednesday 7 Nov from 8.30pm in The Big Society, Cowley Rd
  • Thursday, 8 Nov, in The Royal Blenheim, St Ebbe’s/Pembroke St from 12 noon

Also if you have a Saturday free, don’t forget Laura’s suggestion of a panad + sgwrs:

Hwyl, John
PS :santa: and don’t forget the Welsh carol service in Jesus College Chapel at 4pm on Mon 26 Nov

I probably can’t make it this coming week. There is a slight chance that y dyn sy’n trwsio peiriannau gwnïo (the sewing machine repair man) might come early enough on Thursday for me to get a bus to Oxford, but it is not very likely.
Sue

Morning all! Didn’t make it last week due to sick child (don’t feel too sympathetic, it seems it was a Halloween Haribo overload…) and now I’m catching up with all the things that had to be put off because of it! I’m scribbling out today and Thursday and giving myself a nice long run up to next week.
Until then, I’m having ALL the Haribo…
:candy::candy:

Is anyone from here planning to go to Big Society tonight?

Hope you had a good meetup at Big Society tonight @Laura_P_87

Also a quick reminder to all about tomorrow’s (Thursday) midday meetup in The Royal Blenheim

Dw i dal yn aros am y dyn sy’n trwsio peiriannau gwnïo. Sorry, I am not going to make it today.
Sue

Diolch Sue - gobeithio bydd y dyn 'na yn gwneud jobyn da! Tan y tro nesa, felly :slight_smile:

Just to confirm this week’s meetups

• Monday, 12 Nov , from 11am in Cafe Bap, Abingdon Rd
  • Wednesday 14 Nov from 8.30pm in The Big Society, Cowley Rd
  • Thursday, 15 Nov , in The Royal Blenheim, St Ebbe’s/Pembroke St from 12 noon

Hope you can make it to one (or more! :slight_smile:) of these
Hwyl, John

Sorry, not Monday. I plan to be there on Thursday.
@rachaelseculer-faber, will you be there? I’ll bring your CD.
Sue