Oxford Welsh learners group

I meant to congratulate Richard on the online Eisteddfod success, but got too interested in Harald Bluetooth and the reindeer. Llongyfarchiadau, @RichardBuck.
Sue

1 Like

Me too, I’m afraid :disappointed: - llongyfarchiadau @RichardBuck ! :champagne:

1 Like

Yes! Llongyfarchiadau @RichardBuck! Maybe am excuse for an extra drink in celebration tro nesa’?

2 Likes

One of the things discussed yesterday was ideas for other activities where we could practise our Welsh - there was this list of suggestions in the summer

• Monthly weekend pub lunches
  • River trip - Folly Bridge-Abingdon
  • Meetup with another SSiW group (Milton Keynes, Coventry, Bristol etc ?), maybe somewhere midway??
  • Visit to an Oxford museum or Colleges etc, etc (maybe in Welsh? Coleg Yr Iesu? New College (maybe Ros could be our guide)?)
  • Central Oxford walk - Botanic Gardens, University Parks, Christchurch Meadow etc
    (For weekend activities we could perhaps invite members of Cymdeithas Dafydd ap Gwylim to join us?)

(I’ve omitted the picnic… :cloud_with_rain::umbrella::thermometer::wind_face::snowflake::frowning_face: !)

One yesterday was a Christmas lunch - any further suggestions or comments? Let me know :slight_smile:
Hwyl, John

2 Likes

Salters Steamers run their Oxford to Abingdon service 7 days a week in season from 25th May to 8th September 2019. They leave Folly Bridge at 9:15 (arrive 11:05) and 14:30 (arrive 16:30). Return trips from Abingdon Bridge Marina to Oxford leave at 11:15 and 16:45. Adults ÂŁ13.40 single or ÂŁ20.80 return. Seniors ÂŁ12.80 single or ÂŁ19.80 return. Children ÂŁ7.10 single or ÂŁ11.70 return.
Single trip and return by bus would be good. Shall we think about it for next year?

Alternatively there are 40 Minute return trips from Folly Bridge to Iffley Lock daily from 1st April 2019 to October 2019 at 11:00, 12:00, 13:00, 14:00, 15:00, 16:00 and 17:00. Adult ÂŁ8.00 Child ÂŁ4.50.
Sue

1 Like

In our meetups diary for this week we have

• Monday, 19 Nov , from 11am in Cafe Bap, Abingdon Rd
  • Wednesday 21 Nov from 8.30pm in The Big Society, Cowley Rd
  • Thursday, 22 Nov , in The Royal Blenheim, St Ebbe’s/Pembroke St from 12 noon

Hope to see you there, but do please say if you’re thinking of coming along to any of these
Hwyl, John

1 Like

I can’t manage Monday - village duties. I plan to be there on Thursday but may need to leave early.
Sue

1 Like

Diolch Sue - thanks for letting me know.
Is anyone else planning to be there on Monday? I don’t want to find myself the only one there :slight_smile: (like last week unfirtunately :disappointed: …)

Just heard from Clive that he’ll be coming on Monday, so there’ll be two of us there at least! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ros emailed “Byddwn i wrth fy modd i ddangos New College ichi yn yr haf rhywbryd!”

3 Likes

Hi folks, we haven’t heard from anyone planning to come this eve at 8:30pm, but we’re moving to The Bear pub in the city centre. I’m on 07590008249 if you want to find us!

2 Likes

Byddwn i wrth fy modd yn ymweld â New College gyda Ros.
What a very kind offer.
Sue

2 Likes

Helo pawb, unfortunately i won’t be able to make it to the meet-up at the Royal Blenheim today. Hope to see lots of you there next Thursday!

1 Like

OK, diolch @rebecca - tan wythnos nesa, 'ta :slight_smile:

1 Like

Or maybe join us at Monday’s Cymdeithas Daftdd ap Gwilym Jesus College 4pm carol service?? :slight_smile: @RichardBuck and plantos are likely to be there as well as Clive and me and probably Ros

1 Like

As some of us (at latest count, probably Richard and maybe plantos, Clive, Ros & me) will be going to the Cymdeithas Dafydd ap Gwilym Carol Service (Gwasanaeth Carolau) on Monday afternoon we won’t be having the usual Monday a.m. Cafe Bap meetup next week:

• Monday, 26 Nov, 4pm Carol Service in Jesus College Chapel, Turl Street*
  • Wednesday 28 Nov from 8.30pm in The Big Society, Cowley Rd
  • Thursday, 29 Nov , in The Royal Blenheim, St Ebbe’s/Pembroke St from 12 noon

If you’d like to have a peep at what to expect in the carol service (or just to have some words for Welsh carols up your sleeve for Nadolig :slight_smile:) I’ve scanned the details (order of service, words of carols etc) from last year’s service here:
Gwasanaeth Carolau CDyG 2017.pdf (1.4 MB)
You’ll probably recognise that the first, second, fourth and last carols are the Welsh version of ‘O Come All Ye Faithful’, ‘In the Deep Midwinter’,‘Silent Night’ & ‘Hark the Herald Angels Sing!’ (the last I had to check YouTube before I realised what it was :slight_smile:) - the other two, I don’t know of English versions but you can easily find the Welsh versions sung on YouTube
Hwyl, John

3 Likes

A reminder about the Welsh Carol Service today, 4pm in Jesus College Chapel - also Osian has posted details of today’s carols (see pdf in previous post for words):

O Deuwch Ffyddloniad. (Tune: O Come All Ye Faithful)
Ganol Gaeaf Noethlwm. (Tune: In The Deep Midwinter)
Ar Gyfer Heddiw’r Bore. (Plygain carol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-JPO0hc6DE see below for words)
Dawel Nos. (Tune: Silent Night)
Clywch Lu’r Nef. (Tune: Hark The Herald Angels Sing!)

2 Likes

I shall try to enunciate clearly, so as to avoid giving Him a crown of hedgehog.

2 Likes

A very quick reminder about our 12:00 meetup tomorrow (Thursday), in the Royal Blenheim - hope to see you there
Hwyl, John
PS Good to join Ros, Richard W, Richard B + plantos and Clive at the Cymdeithas Dafydd ap Gwilym Carol Service on Monday - if you missed, there’s always the possibility of going to their St David’s Day service next term

1 Like

Sorry all for the very late notice - I need to finish off something at work so am going to grab a sandwich and slog on through … won’t make it to the Royal Blenheim but hope to see you all next Thurs!

1 Like