Oxford Welsh learners group

This is the route i was suggesting for the next ramble i siarad, 5 1/2 miles with a pub half way.
Start near the station, basically up the Thames path and down the canal path.
Of course all other suggestions are fine.
May 9 or 10 looks fine for me.

Cheers J.P.

3 Likes

Thanks, JP - looks a good choice to me and 9 or 10 May would be fine for me as well. If we felt like it we could perhaps also include a small diversion at Binsey to visit the Treacle Well - I seem to remember Jenny mentioned that on last Saturday’s ramble. Hwyl, John

If we were interested in eating at either the Perch (Binsey) or the Trout (Godstow), then it seems booking might be an idea.

Another possibility is the Anchor Inn, just off the canal, on the corner of Hayfield Road and Polstead Road. I’ve eaten there and it’s nice, fairly homely and not too expensive, although booking probably also advisable.

I’m afraid I will not be able to make (see footnote) it to what should presumably be our next normal monthly meeting (Tuesday 5th May), but I should be able to make (and am edrych ymlaen at) our ramble around Oxford on Saturday the 9th.

footnote: It’s the bank holiday’s fault. Something that would normally happen on the Monday had to be moved to the Tuesday and yn anffodus, I cannot miss it.

Hi Mike - Yes the bank holiday (although of course very welcome!) does tend to mess things up. I’m planning to go along to the Tue 5th May meetup, though, so hopefully I won’t be the only one!
By the way, re the Oxford ramble, we were originally looking at either 9th or 10th May - have we settled on Sat 9th now?

Either fine for me, so will go with the majority.

Either date’s fine for me too, but maybe one of the others will have a preference

I’ll be away at the beginning of May so will regrettably miss first Tuesday & the ramble this time.

Hi pawb

So sorry not to have been able to make the Charlbury ramble, especially as it is nice and near me, but hope to make the summertime one. As for 9/10 May that’s no good for me either, but after that have 3 weekends absolutely free… any chance of any of them?

Caroline

I can’t make the 2 weekends after, but I could make 30th/31st May.

Yes, I can probably make 30/31 May, hefyd. Any ideas where we might go? From Oxford, there’s Jenny’s suggestion of the path along the River Cherwell to Islip (a bit muddy when wet, perhaps), or going up to Wytham Wood and back along the Thames towpath. Further afield, going up to the Ridgeway from Goring & Streatley station was another suggestion - or maybe we could start from a station further out from Charlbury which would be nearer to Caroline?

Happy to try that. Caroline, can you think of any suitable local walks?

A quick reminder that the Oxford meetup’s this Tuesday, 5th May, as usual at 5:30pm at the Jericho Cafe in Walton Street. I’m planning to be there, although I know some of us won’t be able to make it.

Also, I’ve realised we haven’t yet made a definite decision about whether next weekend’s Oxford ramble will be on Saturday or Sunday, so let’s make it Saturday meeting at Oxford Station - JP is lives furthest away from Oxford so it’d be better if he chooses the time we meet there. Over to you, JP?

2 Likes

Hanner dydd, sounds like a good time.
Miday opposite the station by the bull!

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

Iawn John (a John).

Welai chi.

(“Tarw Post”? :slight_smile: )

Another last minute reminder about tonight’s meetup - as usual from 5:30 onwards, downstairs at the Jericho Cafe, Walton Street

1 Like

And a quick reminder about tomorrow’s (Saturday 9th May) Oxford Welsh ramble (see handy map in ramblingjohn’s post last month): meet at 12:00 by the bull statue outside Oxford Rail Station

2 Likes

Time for another quick reminder about the ramble starting from Kingham Station tomorrow (Sat 30th May); for details see: Oxford SSiW - additional meetups?.

Also a reminder about June’s first meetup, this Tuesday 2nd June, as usual from 5:30pm downstairs at the Jericho Cafe, Walton St.

Sorry, belated reply to this to say I intend to be there … will check other thread now …

Hwyl,
Mike

A quick heads up about my post on the ‘Different day for Oxford meetups thread?’ announcing a Doodle poll to find a meetup day/time which suits the largest number of people (& apologies for the multiple postings/pastings)

I’ve finally set up a Doodle poll http://doodle.com/u6eg646uii68ychp1
with
the days of the week and morning, lunchtime, afternoon & evening
timeslots to help us try and find the day or days which suit the most
people.

All that’s needed is to click on the ‘Yes’, ‘No’ or ‘(Yes)’(=perhaps)
choices - just concentrate on the day of the week and timing, and
ignore the dates (Doodle needs you to enter a specific set of dates, so I
simply chose a week at random).

Also add a comment if you like about the frequency you can fit in,
i.e. weekly, fortnightly or monthly, or to suggest specific times or
places - it doesn’t have to be in the Jericho Cafe (most of my own
choices are Yes or (Yes) but probably for most people there’ll be a much
greater proportion of No’s than Yes/(Yes)'s).