Oxford Welsh learners group

Ah, no. I just realised I’ve double booked myself having not realised earlier that that is the first weekend of half term, so we’re off to Pembrokeshire. Sorry about that. We will make the walk again some time soon!

1 Like

Dim probs @rebecca - it’s easily done! :slightly_smiling_face: - Is there, perhaps, a date later on which we could pencil in for the next walk?
Hwyl, John

PS You’re probably not travelling out or back on a Saturday, but if you were and your journey to Sir Benffro were to take you anywhere near Abergavenny, there’d be the possiblity of joining a walk with Cymdeithas Edward Llwyd (an excellent chance to ymarfer Cymraeg! :slightly_smiling_face:)

Sorry, I can’t make it on Monday 11th or Thursday 14th.
18th and 21st are currently looking possible though.
Sue

1 Like

OK, diolch @Betterlatethan

Helo pawb - for next week the meetup schedule is the usual:

• Monday, 11 Feb from 11am in Cafe Bap, Abingdon Rd (do please let me know, though, if you’re thinking of coming along to this one :slightly_smiling_face:)
  • Wednesday 13 Feb 8.30pm in James Street Tavern , James St., East Oxford (check with @s-coates1)
  • Thursday, 14 Feb in The Royal Blenheim, St Ebbe’s/Pembroke St from 12 noon (now RB opening time)

Hwyl, John

1 Like

Helo pawb - you probably don’t need reminding that tomorrow, Thursday, is dydd Sant Ffolant, but I will give you this quick reminder about our midday meetup in the Royal Blenheim tomorrow :slightly_smiling_face:
Hope you can make it - as always, all welcome!
Hwyl, John

Another date for the diary here:

… and a reminder about the Jesus College service in Cymraeg on the day itself:

1 Like

Hi John

The phrase I was thinking of from Chwalfa was nen Tad, which turns out to be shortened from yn enw('r) Tad – and I think it was when I was looking that up that I confirmed/convinced myself that things like yndy, Tad were basically “yes, i’faith”.

Any further news on a walk next weekend? – I should be free, unaccompanied, and not car-less on Saturday (although possibly required to meet people off the train sometime in the later afternoon), or free and potentially accompanied on Sunday.

Hi Richard

I’ve just checked this in Dweud Eich Dweud and you’re spot on, tad being a Gog-ism derived from yn enw’r Tad.
It also gives o’r tad/o’r tad annwyl/tad annwyl as more widespread colloquialisms for ‘goodness me/heavens above’

Would be OK for me, but let’s see how the others are placed for Sat 23rd/Sun 24th - @rebecca @Betterlatethan @janjones_1 @rachaelseculer-faber @Laura_P_87 @s-coates1 or anyone else who might be interested? (I think @cat-1 has a full schedule until the end of half-term, so probably wouldn’t be able to make it)

1 Like

Sorry. I might perhaps manage a Saturday in June or July if friend goes to Scotland.
Sue

1 Like

OK - diolch, Sue :slightly_smiling_face:

Helo pawb - just to confirm, it’ll be the usual schedule for meetups this week :slightly_smiling_face::

• Monday, 18 Feb from 11am in Café Bap, Abingdon Rd
  • Wednesday 20 Feb 8.30pm in James Street Tavern , James St., East Oxford (but check with @s-coates1)
  • Thursday, 21 Feb in The Royal Blenheim, St Ebbe’s/Pembroke St from 12 noon

Hwyl, John

1 Like

… and a quick reminder about tonight and tomorrow’s meetups :slightly_smiling_face:

This week coming as well as the usual meetups …

• Monday, 25 Feb from 11am in Café Bap , Abingdon Rd
  • Wednesday 27 Feb 8.30pm in James Street Tavern , James St., East Oxford (but check with @s-coates1)
  • Thursday, 28 Feb in The Royal Blenheim , St Ebbe’s/Pembroke St from 12 noon

… on Dydd Gŵyl Dewi/St David’s Day (i.e. Friday), as well as the usual service in the Chapel, Jesus College will also be hosting a discussion and an afternoon tea :cake::coffee::slightly_smiling_face: - see details below:
Hwyl, John

1 Like

I hope to be there on Mon 25th.
I can’t make it on Thursday 28th, Mon 4th or Thurs 7th.
Sue

1 Like

Hello, we are brand new learners of Welsh and wondered if we might join you next Monday? We are very excited to discover that you meet at the Bap café which is just around the corner from us. We have just finished lesson 6 of SSIW, so our conversation will be pretty limited… Jane Parker and Richard Hart

2 Likes

Helo @jane-18 - yes, please do join us and croeso! :slightly_smiling_face: - although I don’t think the others can make it next Monday so it’ll just be me, I’m afraid.
Hwyl, John
PS He’s not there all the time, but Mike the owner is a Welsh speaker so you might have the chance to practice a bit of Welsh whenever you pop in and it’s not too busy :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Diolch John. If you’re sure, that would be lovely to meet you on Monday, but we’re also happy to make it another time if that would suit you better? Thanks for letting us know that Mike is an Welsh speaker!

Diolch @jane-18 the usual 11:00am on Monday will be fine for me, though - also, with Cafe Bap being rather small, at that time we can be reasonably sure of having somewhere to sit
Hwyl, John