Oxford Welsh learners group

Hello @thomasd, great to hear from you.
Since there are only two tables in Cafe Bap, you should have no difficulty in finding the group.
I was hoping to be there, but it is uncertain as I am still coughing and wheezing.
Sue

Helo @thomasd - good to hear from you! Weā€™ll be looking forward to seeing you on Friday if you can make it
Hwyl, John

Diolch yn fawr iawn for the welcome! Hope you feel better soon @Betterlatethan.

Helo pawb - A quick reminder about tomorrowā€™s meetup in Cafe Bap from 10.30am onwards. Hope to see you there :slightly_smiling_face:
Hwyl, John

Thanks all for the welcome this morning. I hope to be back in a couple of weeks ā€“ perhaps with a few more words of Welsh under my belt :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

No surprises about the pattern of meetups for this week :slightly_smiling_face:

• Wednesday morning, 17 July from 10:30am in the Kingā€™s Arms, Holywell Street
  • Wednesday evening 17 July 8.30pm in James Street Tavern , James St., East Oxford (check first with @s-coates1)
  • Friday morning, 19 July from 10:30am in CafĆ© Bap, Abingdon Rd

Hwyl, John

At the Kingā€™s Arms meetup yesterday, Bethan, Chris and I were talking about the possibility of a boat trip down to Abingdon. Might you be interested in this @cat-1 @RichardBuck @Betterlatethan @rebecca @rachaelseculer-faber @jane-18 @mouselovinlady @Laura_P_87 @thomasd?

In summary (from Salters Steamers):
There are 2 trips a day 7 days a week starting at 9:15am and 2.30pm, the return journey taking about 4 hours and costing about Ā£20 for adults (children Ā£12 or free if bought with 2 adult returns).

There are shorter trips as well:

• Iffley Lock and back (40 mins) leaving each hour 11am to 5pm for Ā£8 (children Ā£4.50)
  • Down to Iffley Lock and up to Port Meadow, an ā€˜Alice in Wonderlandā€™ cruise (2.5 hrs) starting at 12:00 for Ā£20 (children Ā£12)

What do you think?

1 Like

Yes, I would be interested as long as I am not already committed to doing something else on the day. Itā€™s a pleasant trip. I have done it before a couple of times. What day would suit?

I just might make it to Cafe Bap tomorrow but I am not sure. Iā€™m still coughing.

Sue

1 Like

Diolch Sue - gobeithio weld ti 'fory :slightly_smiling_face:
Hwyl, John

1 Like

Iā€™d be interested, if work doesnā€™t get in the way too badly. If itā€™s during the summer holidays, thereā€™s a chance my family might tag along too (not really Welsh learners, but curious ā€“ and my wifeā€™s been after a trip on the boats for a while).

Iā€™m now wondering whether thereā€™s a Welsh translation of Aliceā€¦ (Edit: Yes)

1 Like

Iā€™d be interested! Hope to be at Cafe Bap tomorrow. Hope to see you Sue. Hwyl Bethan

1 Like

This weekā€™s meetups are as usual on Wed & Fri:

• Wednesday morning, 24 July from 10:30am in the Kingā€™s Arms, Holywell Street
  • Wednesday evening 24 July 8.30pm in James Street Tavern , James St., East Oxford (check first with @s-coates1)
  • Friday morning, 26 July from 10:30am in CafĆ© Bap, Abingdon Rd

But, donā€™t forget ā€¦ :slightly_smiling_face:

Also ā€¦

ā€¦ if the preference is for a weekend, would next Saturday, 27 Jul, Sat17 Aug or Sun 18 Aug work for anyone?
Hwyl, John

Are you thinking of the morning or the afternoon boat?

I could be in Oxford to catch the boat at 2.30pm on Sunday 18 Aug. (Or pretty much any Sunday, buses permitting.) Not earlier because I shall be in the shop. I think that the one-way trip to Abingdon would be enough for me.

I spend Saturdays with a friend who doesnā€™t speak Welsh, but if we agree to part company a bit early then I could be in Abingdon by 4:30pm. The trip from Abingdon back to Oxford leaves at 4:45pm. That could be almost any Saturday. Possible, though not ideal.

Sue

1 Like

Unfortunately I wonā€™t be able to make it to Kings Arms tomorrow morning. Hopefully I plan to come to cafe Bap on Friday. At the moment I could manage any of suggested dates for boat trip! Hwyl Bethan.

1 Like

Either really - it all depends on what works best for people. If itā€™s to be a weekend (it could also be a weekday), your suggestion of the 2.30pm boat on Sun 18 Aug would be fine for me and I think @bethan-williams-1.
Clive and @thomasd are also interested, of course, so letā€™s see if that works for them (and keeping in mind the possible alternatives of a shorter trip to Iffley Lock and back or the Iffley Lock and Port Meadow trip which offers something a bit different)

Iā€™m pretty certain Iā€™ll be around all weekend 17th/18th.

1 Like

CHANGES (perhaps ā€¦ :pensive:)
Helo @RichardBuck @Betterlatethan @rebecca @rachaelseculer-faber @jane-18 @bethan-williams-1 @mouselovinlady @thomasd @chris-roberts !

@cat-1, Jo and I were talking about possibly having a few meetups in Kirtlington over the summer break - could, maybe, include a stroll with/without dog(s). Let me know if you think you might be interested (Kirtlingtonā€™s about 10 miles north of Oxford but lifts could be arranged if needs be) :slightly_smiling_face:

Also, would changing the Kingā€™s Arms meetup to 12:00 make it easier for you to join us (changing to Tuesday is also an option)? :slightly_smiling_face:

Hwyl, John

Helo @Laura_P_87 @s-coates1 @HelenV-E @mikeellwood ! Please see my previous posting (unfortunately it seems itā€™s not possinble to tag more than 10 people at a time)
Hwyl, John

1 Like

Hi Caroline, I came across your message whilst browsing the Forum. Are you still interested in meeting with people for Welsh chats? I live a few miles from Stow and would welcome the opportunity to improve my Welsh. Anne.

Helo Anne - Iā€™m afraid @carungo may no longer be active on the forum as we havenā€™t heard from her for a few years now. Youā€™d be welcome to join us in Oxford, but thatā€™s probably a bit far for you - another of our weekend walks from Charlbury could perhaps be an option though?
Hwyl, John