Oxford Welsh learners group

I need to wait for my December rota to appear before I know which days I’ll be free, but hopefully it shouldn’t be too long…

1 Like

I’m sorry I won’t be able to meet at RB today as I have caught horrible cold! Hope you all have good time. Hwyl Bethan

2 Likes

Oh, bad luck Bethan! Hope you’re feeling better soon :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

We shall miss you @bethan-williams-1. Get well soon.
Sue

2 Likes

At today’s meetup Sue mentioned that the Oxford Welsh Male Voice Choir has a concert in the Town Hall tomorrow. In case you are interested, here are the details
:

1 Like

Thank you all for another warm welcome today! What do we think of the Turf versus the Royal Blenheim? It was definitely quiet in the Royal Blenheim, which made it easier to hear everyone, as long as we’re not self-conscious about speaking Welsh … !

Yes, decision time folks! :woman_judge::man_judge::slightly_smiling_face:

• The Turf or The Royal Blenheim?
  • Or is there another possible venue you’d like us to try before we choose?
  • Or we could perhaps alternate between the two (but see my PS)

Over to you, pawb! :slightly_smiling_face:
Hwyl, John

PS The SSiW newsletter couldn’t say which would be the venue for any particular week, i.e. it could only say it would be either the T or the RB and people would need to email me to find out, potentially one more small mental hurdle for any nervous/hesitant newcomers to overcome before joining us :worried:)

I personally preferred the RB. I liked that it was quieter and a bit more comfortable. And bonus that the lemonade was half the price of the Turf!! Though if the consensus was for the Turf the lemonade price wouldn’t stop me coming :laughing:

1 Like

Yes, and the beer is cheaper too! :slightly_smiling_face:

I was going into the Town Hall Cafe today just as a group of men were coming out. They were wearing sweatshirts with “Côr Meibion Hwlffordd” on them. So they are there and ready!
Sue

1 Like

The coffee is also a bit cheaper in the RB than in the Turf. You can’t expect a place frequented by both Inspector Morse and Harry Potter to be cheap.
Although the Turf is lovely and atmospheric, it did get very noisy when the extractor fan (I think) was working. I couldn’t hear a thing.
I would be happy to go back to the RB even with no food. Last time, a toasted sandwich in the Town Hall cafe went down well afterwards.
As @johnwilliams_6 said, we don’t want to put off any nervous newcomers.
Sue

2 Likes

Ha ha Sue I agree with you! I’m happy to go back to RB. Hwyl Bethan

2 Likes

Well, seems The Royal Blenheim wins 4-0, so we’ll make that our regular Friday venue and @Deborah-SSi will be able to include it in the SSiW newsletter :slightly_smiling_face: This week’s meetups therefore will be

• Wednesday morning, 16 Oct from 10:30am in Café Bap, Abingdon Rd
  • Friday morning, 18 Oct from 12:00 in the The Royal Blenheim, corner St Ebbes/Pembroke St

And for those who are interested in Cinio Nadolig don’t forget to complete the Doodle poll ! :slightly_smiling_face: (it does allow you to indicate ‘maybe’ but if you prefer you can always PM me)

Hwyl, John

2 Likes

Sorry, but I am not going to make it today. I probably can’t come on Friday either.
Sue

We missed you today Sue! Hope to see you again soon. Bethan

1 Like

Thanks, @bethan-williams-1. I should be there next Wednesday.
Sue

2 Likes

A quick reminder that tomorrow’s (Fri 18th) lunchtime meetup will be in our new regular venue of The Royal Blenheim :slightly_smiling_face:

Don’t forget, too, that there’ll be a walk+sgwrs to Radley Lakes on Sunday - partners and children welcome! :walking_man: :walking_woman: :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hi all. Sorry won’t make it today. I am at home with a poorly boy. Hope to see you next week
Ruth

Diolch Ruth - gobeithio bydd o’n gwella yn fuan iawn
Cofion gorau, John

And a reminder about …

Diolch Bethan, Sue, Ruth, Owen & Clive for your dates - it may be a bit early for others to be sure of suitable dates, but there’s nothing to stop you amending your poll entries and even provisional dates are helpful - so far 13, 17 & 19 December have the most ticks, and 7, 21 & 24 Dec the least.
Hwyl, John

1 Like