Oxford Welsh learners group

Yes, I’ll be going - see you there :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Edrych ymlaen i weld ti . Bethan

1 Like

Cinio Nadolig :santa: - Time for an update! :slightly_smiling_face:

• Cafe Bap has confirmed that they’ll us with provide Cinio Nadolig on Fri 13th Dec - they’ll close the Cafe for us for a couple of hours as last year when it was from 12-2pm but it could be shifted up to an hour later if a 12:00 start causes problems for anyone

• As last year they can provide veg & non-veg options (to be chosen in advance) - to give you a rough idea of the sort of choice these were the options last year but they could be different this year:
    Starter Goat’s cheese, cherry tomato and Dijon mustard quiche/Seasonal veggie soup with sour dough toast;
    Main course: chicken breasts wrapped in bacon served with French mustard sauce/nut roast with French mustard sauce with roast potatoes, sprouts, sage and onion stuffing, roast pumpkin cranberry sauce;
    Dessert Vegan cake of choice/cheese and biscuits
    plus tea/coffee
    bring wine/beer etc to share

• Last year parking for up to 6 cars was available in the White House pub car park across the road. The pub is now closed but it looks as it’s still possible to park there

• It’s good to know that the twelve of us who’ve said they want to come to the Cinio Nadolig can make it on 13th Dec - if you’d like to come but haven’t yet said, do please do so quickly as space is quite tight in Cafe Bap

Let me know if you’ve any questions
Hwyl, John
PS The Twelve: @cat-1 Clive @RichardBuck @ChristopherSchenk @owen-mcknight @bethan-williams-1 @Betterlatethan @ruth-connor @rebecca @claireesau @chris-roberts & me

2 Likes

‘The Twelve’ has a bit of a wild west feel to it…:cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Maybe we should make it The Magnificent Twelve! :grinning:

1 Like

Well we are, so… :grin:

1 Like

That all sounds lovely. I will try to take the day off work so any time will be OK with me. Worst case would be I make it for 12:10.

1 Like

Hwrê! Thank you very much for organising this. I’ll be delighted to join you all. (And I’d like to book the vegetarian option, please, if possible.)

Helo pawb - turns out that the time advertised in the Cymdeithas Dafydd ap Gwilym term card (see post of Oct 24 above) for the Welsh carol service in Jesus College Chapel on 4 Dec is incorrect. Also the original time has been brought forward an hour because of an event later on and it’s now be going to be at 4pm (diolch yn fawr @owen-mcknight for checking this! :slightly_smiling_face:)

1 Like

Afriad I forgot to post about this week’s meetups :frowning:, so in case you were wondering, yes there will indeed be a meetup at midday tomorrow in the RB :slightly_smiling_face:

I can’t join you this Friday, I’m afraid, but I haven’t forgotten!

1 Like

Sadly won’t be there tomorrow as we are picking up the keys to our new house :grinning: I will attempt to tell you all about it next week!

3 Likes

Diwrnod mawr! Pob lwc with the move, Ruth :slightly_smiling_face:

PS And a quick reminder about Saturday’s walk (see https://forum.saysomethingin.com/t/oxford-walks/7540/302)

Heavy rain is forecast for this afternoon :cloud_with_rain::cloud_with_rain::frowning_face: so we’ve decided to postpone the walk until tomorrow, Sun 10th, for which the forecast is much better :sun_behind_large_cloud: See Oxford walks thread for update on meeting place and route :slightly_smiling_face:

And now for this week’s meetup reminders :slightly_smiling_face:

• Wednesday morning, 13 Nov from 10:30am in Café Bap, Abingdon Rd
  • Friday morning, 15 Nov from 12:00 in the The Royal Blenheim, corner St Ebbes/Pembroke St

Hwyl, John

Sorry everyone, I won’t make today. Work is getting in the way! Hope to see you all next week.
Ruth

1 Like

The question came up at today’s RB meetup of what might be the Welsh equivalent of “Least said soonest mended”. I’ve checked this at @RichardBuck’s suggestion in the book of Welsh sayings, Ar Flaen Fyn Nhafod and that gives callaf dawo / dewi as the equivalent. I guess literally it means something like “wiser were (it) to silence”

2 Likes

Diolch, @johnwilliams_6.
The film that I was trying to remember today was “Belleville rendez-vous” or “Les Triplettes de Belleville” directed by Sylvain Chomet.
Sue

3 Likes

Diolch Sue - that name sounds very familiar and I’m sure now that I’ve at least seen clips of it :slightly_smiling_face: