Oxford Welsh learners group

It’s all happened very quickly but it seems that Mike is selling/has sold Cafe Bap to a Chinese lady who will be running it from now on. Jodie’s baby has arrived and made a brief appearance in the cafe at a few days old last week. As far as we - and Jodie’s sister - know, Jodie and sister will be staying on but nobody has yet clarified that for them (:frowning:). They don’t know either whether or not Mike is continuing to pursue the idea he had a while back of a popup coffee shop in the centre of the city. That’s as much as I know, but maybe @Betterlatethan or @chris-roberts can add a bit more :slightly_smiling_face:

As @chris-roberts raised the question yesterday in the cafe, I’ve just checked and they confirm that tickets for the concert will be available at the door - they’re £13 each with drinks at the interval £2.50. (doors open at 6.45pm)

1 Like

Sorry, I can’t add to that. Jodie’s sister told us what @johnwilliams_6 wrote above when we arrived. Then she made a quick remark to Chris and me as we were leaving about Mike being there briefly on Saturday. It’s all a bit of a surprise.
Sue

1 Like

We really must find out Jodie’s sister’s name! :slightly_frowning_face: Does anyone know what it is? :thinking:

I’ll be going along to today’s Jesus College St David’s Day service and to the OWMVC concert tomorrow. Who’ls going to join me? :slightly_smiling_face:

Also, don’t forget to post a message and check this thread before to the Royal Blenheim this lunchtime, just to make sure that there’ll be someone there! :slightly_smiling_face:

Hwyl, John

Hi John. Esme and I will be coming to the concert tomorrow evening - see you there.

1 Like

Sadly, Owen has had to drop out from today’s lunch as he’s not feeling too good this morning :frowning:
This means there’s one reserved place available if any of you should decide at the last minute that you’d like to join us - let me know :slightly_smiling_face:
Hwyl a Dydd Gŵyl Dewi Hapus i Bawb!
John
PS If there’s more than one extra we’ll try and see if they could fit you in, of course :slightly_smiling_face:

Back to the usual schedule for this week after last Friday’s Dydd Gŵyl Dewi service inWelsh in Jesus College Chapel :slightly_smiling_face:

• Wednesday morning, 4 Mar from 10:30am in Café Bap, Abingdon Rd (NB Welsh Mike having sold the cafe :cry:, it’s now under new management. With it being so small, we should bear in mind that the new owner may not be so happy for us to stay chatting as long as we have been :worried: . As yet, we’ve heard nothing about the new owner’s plans but it’s just possible that it might be closed this week while they’re sorting stuff out. If it is, let’s go to the pub by the bridge, the Folly Bridge Tavern, as an alternative venue for this week)
  • Friday morning, 6 Mar from 12:00 in the The Royal Blenheim, corner St Ebbes/Pembroke St
    Hwyl, John
1 Like

I can’t come on Wednesday - I have to see an auditor. I hope to be there on Friday.
Sue

1 Like

I might not make it to Cafe Bap tomorrow and I will be away on Friday. Look forward to seeing you all next week. Bethan

WHAAAAAT???

'Fraid so, but we don’t really know why… :frowning:

Flip.

1 Like

Here’s a quick update on Cafe Bap, but first welcome to new learner, Brian, who joined us for the first time today :slightly_smiling_face:

The new owners, Mark and his Chinese have had a stall at Gloucester Green market where they’ve been selling Chinese food and other dishes but apparently they’ve been so succesful that they decided to try and keep up with the demand by moving into the cafe business. They are planning to continue the existing Cafe Bap menu but to add Chinese dishes and maybe dishes from other countries, e.g. Mexico etc.

According to Mark, Mike had been hoping that his wife could get involved in running the cafe allowing him to continue his part-time teaching role, but it seems she’s already running a B&B somewhere down Iffley Rd and was reluctant to take on the cafe as well, and in the end they decided to sell.

I asked Mark how they felt about us staying and chatting as long as we have been - he said we could stay as long as we wanted. Jodie and her sister (her name’s Danielle! :slightly_smiling_face:) will be continuing to work there, which is good to hear so there’s no reason why we couldn’t continue to meet up there if everybody’s happy with that

Hwyl, John

5 Likes

Helo
Thanks for the warm welcome, sadly I can’t join you on Friday now as I’ve just booked on a 2 day welsh beginners course in Denbigh :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ll be back when work next allows.

Hwyl

Brian.

2 Likes

I wonder if that’s the stall where I have bought dumplings. Could be interesting.
Hello @Brian-15. I hope the course goes well.
Sue

1 Like

Well that certainly makes for an interesting Welsh natter!

2 Likes

With Café Bap being as welcoming as before under it’s new owners (and somewhat magically with more space!:slightly_smiling_face:) it’ll be the same pattern as usual for this week’s meetups. I won’t be able to make it on Wednesday, though, so do post a message if you’re planning to be there :slightly_smiling_face:

• Wednesday morning, 11 Mar from 10:30am in Café Bap, Abingdon Rd
  • Friday morning, 13 Mar from 12:00 in the The Royal Blenheim, corner St Ebbes/Pembroke St

Hwyl, John

Alas, I can’t come on Wednesday to sample the new-look Cafe Bap. I hope to be at the RB on Friday.
Sue

2 Likes

Ditto for me.

1 Like