Oxford Welsh learners group

Helo pawb - as usual there’ll be two Zoom meetups this week

10:30am Wednesday 27th May
12:00 Friday 29nd May

Log in details were PM’d to most a few weeks ago, but please do let me know if you haven’t got them

Hwyl a chadwch yn iach , John

I’m sorry I won’t be able to join you today. Not sure about Friday. My son has a few days annual leave! Take care. Hwyl Bethan

3 Likes

A quick confirmation of our Zoom meetups this week

• 10:30am Wednesday 3rd June
  • 12:00 Friday 5th June

If you haven’t already joined us for one, do give it a try :slightly_smiling_face:
Let me know if you’ve any questions, either here or PM me
Hwyl a chadwch yn saff, John

Helo pawb - Just to confirm our regular pattern of Zoom practice sessions this week (login details as before)

• 10:30am Wednesday 10th June
  • 12:00 Friday 12th June

Post a message or get in touch via PM if you’ve any questions or concerns :slightly_smiling_face:
Hwyl a chadwch yn saff
John

Hello all. I was hoping to be able to join you briefly today before work but then drains troubles intervened and needed attention! It looks like I’ll be at work for the next 3 meetups but I hope to be around on the 24th.
Tan y tro nesaf, Chris.

2 Likes

Helo pawb - two more Zoom meetup sessions this week (login as before)

• 10:30am Wednesday 17th June
  • 12:00 Friday 19th June

As before, do get in touch if you’ve any questions or concerns (and don’t forget also there are the Welsh Speaking Practice sessions via Slack hangouts)

Hwyl a chadwch yn saff
John

Sorry I won’t be able to join you’ today as am going out for walk! Enjoy your scwrs! Hwyl fawr Bethan

2 Likes

Hope you enjoyed the walk. See you next time.
Sue

1 Like

It was good to see you today, @claire-29, and the sentences are going well. Although I have learned using the Southern course (since my family are from the South), I find that after spending time with others, particularly @johnwilliams_6 and @RichardBuck, I sometimes find myself using “northern” words or expressions. I think that you adapt your language towards the people you meet. Certain words such as “moyn” and “gallu” are well embedded though. If I hear “medru”, I have to pause and mentally convert to “gallu” before I get the meaning!
Hope to see you again soon. Are there more sentences to come?
Sue

1 Like

Tyrd draws i’r ochr tywyll, Sue :slight_smile: You know it makes sense!

3 Likes

HI Sue,
Thanks v much for your kind message. It was nice to see everyone this morning and to be able to say my few sentences! As I mentioned I’ve decided to swap from South Waleian to North Waleian because I think I’m more likely to visit North Wales for holidays than the South. I’ve realised also that I need to know the basics of Welsh before continuing with SSiW. I’ve almost finished Level 1 but I’m still v v shaky on the basics, so I’ve stepped up my Duolingo learning, I’m writing daily sentences and I’m gone back to Challenge 1 with SSiW but this time in North Waleian. Have you any tips I can try ?
I hope you’re keeping well.
Best wishes
CLaire

Hi @claire-29,
SSiW is designed for complete beginners, so it should not be necessary to do any preparatory work. The idea is to learn purely through listening and speaking, picking up words and patterns without learning grammar formally. In fact, I too used Duolingo because I found it first, and found out about SSiW later from a comment on the Duolingo forum. I think that Duolingo is slightly biassed towards the South, and I’m not sure whether that would make it easier or more difficult. It was SSiW that gave me the confidence to attempt to speak though. I hurried on through Level 1, making mistakes but pressing on regardless. I did have a go at SSiW North, but found it hopelessly confusing to switch at such an early stage. It’s the common words that seem to be most different.
I can’t remember at what stage I started reading easy books. Certainly after Level 1. There are plenty of other resources available when you feel the need.
I think that the main thing is to enjoy the process. That was easy for me because I have absolutely no need or pressure to learn Welsh.
Chatting to the Oxford people has been a real highlight.
Best wishes,
Sue

1 Like

Byddai fy nhad-cu a mam-gu yn troi yn eu beddau. Wel, byddai eu lludw yn troi yn yr ardd yn yr amlosgfa. :grinning:

3 Likes

Hi Sue,
Thanks v much for your email and your advice. Yes, I think you’re right Duolingo is South biassed but at the moment I’m learning the basic words so I don’t think it will matter! I’m enjoying popping into the Oxford group, everyone is so welcoming / patient!
Hope to join you on Friday…
BW
Claire

Dyna yn union be’ oedd Anakin yn arfer deud, ar y cychwyn… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sue - don’t you mean your taid a nain?

(Sorry - just causing trouble…!)

3 Likes

:scream::laughing:

Sori pawb - a bit late with reminder for this week’s Zoom meetups :slightly_frowning_face:

• 10:30am Wednesday 24th June
  • 12:00 Friday 26th June

Any questions or concerns, let me know - login details are as before (let me know if you weren’t included in the PM of 28 March with the login info)

Hwyl a chadwch yn iach
John

Hi @chris-roberts, I hope you can see this - the forum is saying that you can’t. Here is a map of the Radley Lakes area showing the cycle track from the Abbey Centre, which is OK, and various other paths, official and unofficial, which are OK for walking. Local lads go there on mountain bikes, but I don’t think it is desirable. I have tried to show which paths are private and locked. I don’t know to what extent it would be safe to leave your bike and explore on foot. Although Thrupp Lane is part of Cycle Route 5, it is notoriously dangerous during the week. The Radley Lakes enclosed area is normally OK but has been very busy recently, with people coming in cars.
Sue

2 Likes

Wow diolch yn fawr Sue - very comprehensive!