Personal Progress

I just want to hit the 80% mark as suggested. But I estimate that I will be lucky to get 30% correct after the 14 minute mark. Up to 14 minutes I am OK on a good day because the sequence is ‘lighter’ and I have become familiar with the running content. Mix it up and I will be thrown. I will get there. It’s just difficult.
Thanks for the support.

I appreciate your response. Iestyn mentions at the start of ‘Challenge 13 - unlucky for some but certainly not for you’. Don’t think that included me though! 13 is a nightmare at the moment.

Is there any difference between the Welsh ‘r’ and ‘rh’? Sometimes I can’t see it. Other times it’s strange, The town of Rhyl seems like it’s pronounced Hill (from the Now You’re Talking series)!

The 80% was the original guideline I suggested (7 years ago!) - my understanding of the process has come on quite a long way since then, and one of these days we’ll have to get around to updating all the intro/outro bits…

But please hear me now - 2016 version - saying that you do NOT need to worry about your % of correct answers in any given session. You really don’t. Particularly not in a difficult session.

If you’ve gone the whole way through 13, it’s time, now, for you to move on to 14, and stop giving yourself a hard time with 13. Please trust me on this.

1 Like

Yes, @YDraigGoch, do that. I did and I dont regret a bit.

Hmmm… I feel guilty for that part … hehe. Oh how boringly annoying I was with my percentage measuring and torturing everyone with that…

1 Like

RH is an unvoiced sound. It can be difficult to hear especially since the next letter will be a vowel so voicing can bleed into it. One way that has been recommended for pronunciation is to precede it with an H sound. The unvoiced H carries into the RH.

It is a bit easier if you can roll your Rs (many can’t). An unvoiced, unrolled RH would really just be an H which is why many times I think there is actually no difference between R and RH.

2 Likes

I have given myself a time deadline and then whatever the situation, I will look at Challenge 14. That said, these last two days have seen tremendous improvements on 13. Up to the 19th minute I am okish. Last 10 I need time to work things out and the word order still throws me. I will take your advise and come next week 14 will be played.
Diolch

1 Like

rh and r solved. I thought there was more of a hr than rh sound. Thanks for confirming. Cheers

Challenge 13 - A couple of quickies I think.

1. At 5:40 Iestyn says: I met someone who wants (wanted) to speak with you last night. Is there a grammatical error with the tense?
  2. Between 6:02+ I met an interesting old man last night. Wnes i gwrdd a hen ddyn diddorol neithiwr. And I met an interesting young woman last night. Wnes i gwrdd a menyw ifanc ddiddorol neithiwr. Why is there a softening with diddorol in the second statement. It doesn’t look like there should be from the framework covered thus far.
    Diolch.

Diolch yn fawr iawn. I can never remember how to spell fy ng…so I end up writing in English. Fy ngartre, fy ngalon…mmm… I had the feeling this was fy nghalon??? Are you sure it’s not fy nghath i???

1 Like

Fy nghath.

You are right.

Original has been edited.

1 Like

There was a thread for 'feeling absolutely great about something you’d said yn gymraeg!! Reading “you are right” from you, for one of my, “but I always seemed to know” things was… an ‘Oh! I’m floating six feet high and singing “Calon Lan!” and “Hymns and Areas” moment’ (Not literally, of course!) But it almost made up for yesterday’s clever tactic of letting England score 19 before starting to play!!

If only I could bottle that feeling and dispense it when needed!

1 Like

To @margaretnock Agreed!
Last night, I dreamed I was looking at a page in a book. It was clearly designed for children. I noticed a cartoon type picture on one side. but I was viewing it with 74 year old eyes.
The first line of text read, cheerfully, “Now it is time to learn the aspirant mutation!”
I mentally started cheering @aran for freeing learners from such books and that way of learning.
Then I realised, “Our native language is a spoken tongue! When the Romans arrived with their lexicon of hardened versions of Greek Alphabet, we didn’t try to fit our lovely iaith into it, we carried on talking. We say what sounds right!”
Not perhaps the greatest revelation, but that dream taught me something!

4 Likes