Place Names Outside of Wales

Lots of thorpes in Yorkshire, and some thorps too!

Toro = croft in modern Swedish

Durrr ā€¦ torp sorry

Ww, interesting - there are a few towns in the Netherlands ending in ā€œ-dropā€ (cf. dorp - thorp - dorf): Geldrop. Vlodrop

Jumping back in here. Hopefully I wont cause you all to read 3 years of old posts.

Anyway, Radio Cymru mentioned Durham last night. My ears pricked up when I heard it pronounced more like ā€œDerem/Dirimā€, which is how the locals pronounce it.

Then I thought, Ah, perhaps just coincidence and a Bangor BBC ā€œuā€ sound.

1 Like

There is a Dyrham in Gloucestershire. Wikipedia then says that:

The Battle of Deorham (or Dyrham) was a decisive military encounter between the West Saxons and the Britons of the West Country in 577.

The Welsh Wiki says that Dyrham is: Pentref yn Ne Swydd Gaerloyw yw Dyrham (neu Caerweir).

Putting Caer Weir into google, then gave a Blog about the Durham you were talking about.

I donā€™t know what to make of all of that and suspect that thereā€™s a bit of confusion between the two of these (Dyrham and Durham).

1 Like

Decent list here.
Rhestr eitha da fan hyn

4 Likes

elmet placenames are from old Welsh in Yorkshire ā€¦ Elmet was the old Welsh kingdom there ā€¦ an old Wesh king was none other that ,ā€¦ old king cole ā€¦ the famous king of english nursery rhymes

1 Like

Google maps has the ability to show all the place names in Welsh, but they choose not to. I have Welsh set as the language option on Firefox and everything else and if I google places in England the little map in the google hit will show the places in Welsh - Rhydychen etc, but if I click on the link and open up Google maps it will say Oxford.

I donā€™t know why theyā€™ve disabled the Welsh version in maps, but I think they did originally and there were some complaints for some reason from people who didnā€™t like it and maybe that has had an influence?

Originally, if you had Google set to Welsh language, it would show place names in Irish!

1 Like

That would have been interesting to have seen. I came across a link yesterday to a group of PhD students in Cardiff who had tried to set up a Welsh map to mimic Google maps. They had done a lot of work, but it seems a shame we canā€™t just have someone in Google or Bing simply flick their switch and allow us to view them if we want.

I havenā€™t tried Chrome and maybe it works in Chrome?. I donā€™t think Iā€™d use Chrome even if it did though.

a rumour is that protic - an anti-Welsh language campaigner here ā€¦ was seen crowing on twitter that he had won against google ā€œtaking Wales backwardsā€ - I saw some screenshots but its hard to know.

Could just be google had some problems and never went back ā€¦ I will notify them

Bumping this, because Iā€™ve just noticed in a web app I help to maintain, this:

It seems that embedded google maps behave differently to Google Maps maps. Odd.

2 Likes

Yes - thatā€™s what started me wondering - all the embedded maps show up in Welsh on my computer. Strange.

Maybe it hasnā€™t been completed - only some of the names below are translated:

1 Like

I had this conversation on Twitter a while ago. Cymraeg is available through the Google Maps API, but not on Google Maps itself.

2 Likes

Just had an interesting discussion (in Welsh) on Twitter about origins of Leeds as a place name. Apparently there is a thought that although Loidis is the accepted origin, it may have once been Lloed. In looking for info, I came across this which has some interesting stuff about place names in Elmet (Elfed)
http://www.yorkshiredialect.com/celtpn.htm

1 Like

Someone kindly provided a link on this forum to some publications by Alan James relating to Celtic named places in the ā€œOld Northā€. The link for the N of England doesnā€™t seem to work now, but if you search his name, you can still see a publication on Cumbric named Scottish settlements.