Planning to start Spanish (again)

Right, just today I think I finally hit the necessary wall of feeling deep down that it’s RIDICULOUS as an American that I don’t speak Spanish since I literally could use it EVERY DAY and there are tons of Americans who LIVE through it and I hear it all the time and I have some vocabulary just from pure OSMOSIS and WHY ON EARTH DO I NOT SPEAK SPANISH YET.

So. SSiSpanish, ahoy.

This is not completely my first rodeo. I did SSiSpanish when the old course first came out, quite far (not sure if I went through the second course completely). The problem was, I didn’t fall in love with the language, at least not in the way that I fell desperately in love with Welsh . . . and as we all know, a complete helpless swoon is useful and maybe necessary to really sticking with learning a language. I’m hoping that this time, I’ll find appropriate motivation in wanting to talk to the lady who makes my lunchtime sandwich in her own language, and maybe in some fun silly TV show on Univision or Telemundo (recommendations welcomed).

I’m thinking of trying to do relatively rapid learning with the new Spanish lessons – some kind of compressed “course.” Recommendations on that welcome, too!

6 Likes

Had you thought of trying the course SSiSpanish through the medium of Welsh? It’s still available on the website and you might at least get to enjoy practising listening to a bit more Welsh even if you don’t enjoy the Spanish side :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Interesting thought! For my first pass, though, I’m using the newer version of the “Spanish through the medium of English” course. Part way through Challenge 3 now and really enjoying it.

1 Like

Pob suerte :smile:
I’m currently struggling with (European) Portuguese in readiness for celebrating M’s ??th birthday in Madeira in November. (Jiw mae’n anodd :sweat: )
I’ve logged my request with Aran. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Portuguese…seems like I’ve heard that Portuguese verbs are particularly challenging?

1 Like

I seem to remember @RichardBuck saying that in Portugal they tend to dispense with vowels completely when speaking :roll_eyes:

2 Likes