Please could someone proofread this tiny text before I publish it?

Dear fellow SSI-Welshers,
I need your help! I’ve written a novel (in English) which I’m currently preparing to self-publish.

My action hero is a native Welsh-speaker from Brecon and he occasionally comes out with some Welsh, especially when he’s upset. Can anyone tell me if I’ve written the following correctly – or what I need to change, if I haven’t?

Capitalisation: ‘Iesu mawr, woman!’ or ‘Iesu Mawr, woman!’?
‘That was where I spotted him, you know. Climbing yr Wyddfa.’

Vocabulary: ‘Suck it up and deal with it, you twmffat.’

I think ‘twmffat’ is a glorious word and I’d love to use it. But does it mean idiot or funnel?
And if it means both, why?

General checking:
‘You’re Welsh!’ said William, in an American accent. ‘Awesome! Bore da. Braf cwrdd â chi.’
Shwmae,’ said Joe, astounded. A Welsh-speaking American? Was there such a thing? ‘Braf cwrdd â chi, hefyd! Ydych chi’n siarad Cymraeg?’
Na. Alla i ddim siarad Cymraeg,’ replied William, adding, ‘that’s all I can say, except Mae fy hofrenfad yn llawn llyswennod.’

Funny story: it was when I was researching how to write this bit that I stumbled across saysomethingin.com. So even if the book is a complete flop, writing it was never a waste of time because it got me learning Welsh!

THANK YOU!

Love Fay x

4 Likes

Iesu mawr is fine, no need to capitalise the m.

Yes, both. Officially it’s a funnel, but colloquially it’s also an idiot. As for why, well why not! I think it’s just one of those things that happens. After all, you can have “You plank!” in English!

Everything else looks fine - good luck with the book :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks Siaron!

writing it was never a waste of time because it got me learning Welsh!
[/quote]

Learning Welsh (or anything else, probably) is never a waste of time! :grinning:

1 Like

You’re absolutely right, Margaret! :grinning:

1 Like