Plygain, unrhywun?

Always good to see discussion on the forum turning into sales for Welsh companies… :star:

1 Like

As we’ve just started on Advent it is finally not too early to think about Christmas!

Looking on Google doesn’t locate any Plygain services at all for this year. I can’t believe there aren’t any. I always seem to find out about them they day after they happen.

So, all you Welsh learners, speakers, are there any services coming up where you are in the next month? It would really hit the spot if there was one within 20 miles of Carmarthen.

I hope people can post here and let others know where there are any plygain performances taking place. Here is a great YouTube clip that starts with a short explanation about Plygain then features a beautiful well-known song.

2 Likes

Inspiring! Thanks for posting this clip. I’m off to get a CD for myself :slight_smile:
Elkie

1 Like

There’s usually a Plygain service in Cei Newydd in December - I’ll put some feelers out. I really enjoy Plygain (partly because of the earthiness!). It makes me think of Gerallt Gymro’s complaint that when the Welsh sing, they never sing the tune…!

1 Like

There will be a Plygain in Burry Port usually in January.
I will post here when I get further details.

1 Like

I’m really starting to enjoy plygain and cerdd dant. Maybe I’ve found my musical genre, seeing as I can’t sing in tune at the best of times :slight_smile:

1 Like

There was a wonderful whole episode of S4C’s Cefn Gwlad about Plygain at Nadolig 2 or 3 years ago, when Dai Jones the presenter went around farmhouses and markets and churches to listen to people singing it, and knowledgable people also spoke about it. I do hope they still have it recorded.
I particularly like watching CG for Welsh language practice - good for hearing the voice of different regions.

Gwasanaeth Plygain, Capel Jewin, Barbican Ionawr 11, 2015.yn y hwyr .Croeso cynnes in Pawb
There will be a Pygain service at Jewin Welsh Chapel near the Barbican on the evening of January 11. Everyone is welcome.

I know of no early morning Plygain but there is one 7.00 p.m at Llaneyfaelog, Kidwelly Sunday 14th December

There was one last Friday (5th Dec) at Llansilin it was advertised in the local magazine but I only picked it up on Saturday. I’ve only moved to the area this year so I don’t know much about it but it sounds as if its a regular thing.
http://www.mathrafal.org/parishes/silin.htm

The Christchurch Carmarthen service, fronted by Merched yr Waur, is 7.30 in the evening, this Sunday, 14th December. I look forward to seeing you there.

1 Like

People may be interested in the following links from the Methodist Church in Wales. I don’t think they have appeared earlier in the thread.

John.

1 Like

This just in from Menter Maldwyn - Montgomeryshire is, of course, where traditional Plygain lives on…

19 Dec 7.30pm | Capel Heol China, Llanidloes
25 Dec 6am | Plygien Bore’r Nadolig: Hen Gapel John Hughes, Pontrobert
6.30pm 21 Dec, Y Briw
7pm 28 Dec, Cefnblodwel
7pm 31 Dec, Eglwys Llanarmon
11 Jan Eglwys Llanfihangel yng Ngwynfa

Hi Lewie. Plygain survives here in Pen Llyn (of course) and there is a service in the ancient church of Llandudwen, with the Ganolfan Nefyn Age Well choir, on Sunday, 14th December at 2.00 p.m, which will include two plygain carols.
It’s not an enormously easy place to find, so if there’s any danger of you attending, feel free to contact me for details. It’s in the parish of Ceidio, off a back road to Dinas, about a mile from the church of Ceidio. Apparently Ceidio and Tudwen were the children of Madryn (if I remember right!), who was the wife or civil partner of Brychan Brycheiniog. (Maybe - I can’t keep these old legends in my head for more than five minutes at a stretch).
I have heard that there are ‘proper’ plygain sessions - i.e. sung at dawn or thereabouts - but as a seasoned layabout and convinced atheist I’ve never wandered across at the appropriate time, though I am attracted by the folk aspect of plygain, and will look out for your no-bollocks CD.

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr, Dee - mae hyna’n hyfryd, hyfryd.

I’ll do my best to be there Margaret! I’ve been doing an awful lot of driving about this week, but I’d love to make it. Anyone else?

There is a Plygain at St Illtyd Church Pembrey 6pm 27th January 2015. A lovely old church which is easily found on the Kidwelly to Burry Port road A484.

There’s a fairly recently invented walking route starting from Pembrey Country Park, very near this church, to Margam Park on the other side of Swansea, called St Illtyd’s way. No evidence at all that he walked it but he is/was at least connected with South Wales. Llanilltud Fawr, Llantwit Major is named after him. It’s a lovely walk, about 60 miles, along the top of the hills with great views of the coast line.

2 Likes

I’ve heard of another Plygain service that will be happening in January. It’s being organised by Cymdeithas Ceredigion and will be at 7pm in Capel Blaenannerch on Sunday 11th January. Mererid Jones, the organiser, says that any singers are welcome but he would like participants to contact him beforehand 01239 712797 or 07816 865 060.