Plygain, unrhywun?

Anyone going to the plygain service in Caerfyrddin tonight?

Latest news - S4C ddydd Mercher am 7.30, ‘Prosiect a Plygain’ - reviving a Christmas custom with contemporary folk acts. This is probably the same programme referred to earlier in the thread. It is followed by ‘Pobol’ where the seasonal air of arguing and backbiting looks to be descending to unplumbed depths. Perhaps the two programmes could merge into one to bring them to their senses

Daimorgan: I just noticed your comment at the end about the Plygain CD (the “Nevermind the Bollocks, Here’s Plygain” disc). I learned from the producer that it’s only available digitally (via iTunes, Amazon, etc, etc). I was sad 'cause I like them little discs ; - )

Same request as last year. Are there any plygain services that people know of coming up in the next couple of months? Personally, I’m after services in Carmarthenshire but other people might want ones in other parts of the country, if not other parts of the world.

1 Like

Hi @Deborah-SSi Can this go in the next news letter please.

1 Like

Definitely! I hope to get to at least one plygain service this season! I’ll keep my ears open for anything happening around here.

November, or December? I’d like to go to a Plygain service somewhere…

1 Like

If there is a service on the Lleyn, I’d be happy to travel. :slight_smile:

The Morlan centre is advertising a Plygain on 16th December, 7.30pm in their hall.

http://www.morlan.org.uk/index.php?view=details&id=3141%3Aplygain-morlan&option=com_eventlist&Itemid=4&lang=en

Morfa Mawr
Aberystwyth
Ceredigion
SY23 2HH
: 01970-617996

I’m not sure where all these places are, bu here are some more Plygain services.

• You can join in Plygain services at:

Plygain Llansilin Friday 4 Dec. 7.30

Plygain Penrhyn-coch Thursday 17 Dec.30 7.30
The most popular services are after Christmas

Plygain Llanerfyn Jan 3

Darowen, 8 Jan

Plygain Llanfihangel-yng-Ngwynfa 10 Jan

Plygain Mallwyd 13 Jan.

1 Like

Mainly Montgomeryshire, though Mallwyd might technically be just over the border in Meirionydd. “Llanerfyn” looks like a typo and should be Llanerfyl

I’ve heard of plygain sevice in Abergavenny, January 17th Trinity church.

1 Like

Eglwys Sant Ioan (17/12/2015)
PLYGAIN TRADDODIADOL
Amser: 7.30
Lleoliad: Eglwys St Ioan / St John’s Church

In Penryn-coch, about 6 miles NE of Aberystwyth

Not quite sure what this is, but it’s happening in Cardiff on Monday night.

Clwb Plygain Caerdydd
Ystafell Gefn, Butcher’s Arms, 29 Heol Llandaf,
Treganna, Caerdydd CF11 9NG Llun/Mon

23/11/2015
19.00-20.30 Cardiff Plygain Club
Back Room, Butchers’ Arms, 29 Llandaff Road
Canton, CARDIFF CF11 9NG

1 Like

I hear there are 2 Plygains on December 30th One in Carmarthen, one in Cymffrwd, a few miles south of Carmarthen. More info when I get it.

I happened to find the following link. Bit late for this year I think, but maybe handy to keep for reference for the contact info, for anyone in the Cardiff area, for another year:

http://www.sesiwn.com/sesiwn/ClwbAlaw/Plygain.html

(Cardiff Plygain Club).

(+ there is a Youtube link)

2 Likes

Plygain Pantycelyn / Carolau yn y Cwps

*** PLYGAIN PANTYCELYN*** am 7.30 ar y cyd gyda Ffrindiau Pantycelyn yn rhan o ymgyrch Achub Pantycelyn. Dewch i gefnogi! Casgliad at Hosbis yn y Cartref.

Yna, lawr i’r Cwps ar gyfer noson Nadolig tebyg i Canu yn y Cwps am 9 o’r gloch.

Northgate Street, Aberystwyth

There is a Plygain at the Coopers Arms, Northgate Street, Aberystwyth on Tuesday 8th December at 7.30 pm held in conjunction with the Friends of Pantycelyn. Collection for Hospice at Home.

Followed by Carols at 9pm? Not so sure about that last bit.

Also Llandeilo, 31 January, 6pm, in St Teilo’s Church

1 Like

Llanddarog (between Carmarthen and Cross Hands), 5pm, Sunday January 10th,

St Tarog’s Church

Or perhaps the Plygain us at the hall itself, up, I presume, at the University, followed by carols in the pub in the town. Any clarification gratefully received.

There’s a group that meets to play traditional music in the Butcher’s Arms on a Monday night (I met a nice chap at the Welsh learners’ group in Chapter a few weeks ago who was leaving us early to take his guitar there to join in). I keep meaning to go to listen, but (a) it clashes with the learners’ group, and (b) the Butcher’s is the sort of pub a girl needs a bit of bravery to enter, if you know what I mean.