Plygain, unrhywun?

That site is great, Mike! It then links to http://www.clera.org which also looks really useful. Thanks so much!

Wednesday 23rd December, 7pm

Plygain Carol Singing in Llandysul Church!

I’m going to aim for this one. Anyone else going?

Does anyone have a good reference for the history of plygain? As usual, we’re including a plygain piece in our Christmas Concert here in Portland, Oregon, and I want to be able to give a little background.

St Fagan’s has this to say about Plygain.

http://www.museumwales.ac.uk/277/

1 Like

Plygains in Carmarthen.

I made a mistake about there being any on 30th December. They are on the 13th (perhaps that’s why so many people use English numbers?).

Merched y Wawr are holding one in Capel Heol Dwr, on Heol Dwr at (I think) 7 pm

Another Plygain is being held on the same night in Capel Pen y Graig in Cymffrwd. Take the A484 south from Carmarthen (towards Llanelli). Turn right at bus shelters and St Ann’s church and follow your nose until 500m before Croesyceilog. Post code is SA32 8DR. Time not known, again, presuming 7pm.

1 Like

I don’t think that’s a very good example. :wink:
Think of the unaccountable number of times you’ve heard conversations such as
“So I’ll see you on the 30th.”
“But you said the 30th, not the 13th”.
“That’s what I said.”
“What the 13th?”
“No! The 30th”
“The 13th??!!”
etc.

1 Like

Plygain in a church deep in the Beacons, anyone?

1 Like

And another:

Sunday 17 January: Plygain service (singing of ancient Welsh carols) in
Beulah Chapel, organized by Cymdeithas Ceredigion, at 7.00pm. Collection
for Air Ambulance Wales. A warm welcome to all.

We’ve been advised of another plygain service -

Holy Trinity Church, Baker St, Abergavenny, at 6 p.m. on January 17th.

This was FANTASTIC! The evening started with a few more recent carols sung together by the whole crowd (and the chapel was pretty full!) then the plygain part started. Group after group - men, women, young, and old - got up and sang in beautiful plygain harmony. It was a real treat, and if you closed your eyes you could just imagine you had gone back in time to a bygone era - magical!

Afterwards they plied us with more tea and welsh cakes than I’ve ever seen. It’s definitely a date to get down on the calendar for next year - not to be missed!

1 Like

I’ve been trying to find information about plygain services this coming December and January, and came across this thread. Does anyone have any dates for plygain in south/mid/west Wales? Diolch yn fawr!

This appears to be Christmas Eve. More will come up and I’ll do my best to do some research for some more services. I really was just thinking about this this week.

1 Like

Sunday, 8th January 2017

Plygain Welsh Carol Service at Jewin Chapel
70 Fann St, London EC1Y 0SA
5.00pm

I agree that this isn’t anywhere near south or west Wales but it needs to be in the thread!

1 Like

The Stylistics perform the…
TREFTADAETH LLANDRE HERITAGE:Y PLYGAIN Thursday 24 November 2016
Treftadaeth Llandre Heritage
Ysgoldy Bethlehem, Llandre,

Appears to be a bit to the north of Aberystwyth
and I’m not sure of the time.

1 Like

Many thanks, Margaret. I’m impressed by your powers of research!

Fy hen ffrind Google. My old friend Google.

January 8th 2017, 5pm

Eglwys Twrog, Llanddarog, Sir Gar

I went last year with @Karla where she met old friends, having been in Wales for all of a fortnight!

4 Likes

http://www.llandyfaelog.org.uk/Llandyfaelog-cym/mannau_addoli-9718.aspx

Cynhelir Gwasanaeth Plygain Traddodiadol yng Nghapel Penygraig ar nos Sul, 11eg Rhagfyr am 6.30. Yn ol drefn y Blygain, nid oes rhaglen ymlaen llaw ond mae croeso i bartion neu unawdwyr i ddod atom gan gyflwyno ei carolau yn ddi-gyfeiliant. Bydd yna groeso cynnes i bawb, yn garolwyr neu gwrandawyr, gyda swper i orffen!

6.30 pm, Sunday 11 December,

Llandyfaelog. Haven’t yet got time to locate this, but it’s in Carmarthenshire.

EDIT Lladyfaelog is between Carmarthen and Kidwelly, just off the A484

FAO @Elisabeth

2 Likes

Plygain tonight 7pm in Capel Bowydd, Blaenau Ffestiniog

1 Like