Polish

A friend who knows I’m learning Welsh has just asked me if you are doing Polish @aran. Any plans?

I’d be interested in that too, if we could have it — my mum’s mother tongue is Polish, but I’ve never learned more than a few words of it myself… :slight_smile:

For many current reasons I’d support this move, if it is feasible.
I picked up a few words on my woking visits to Poland but my son learned from some visitng EU TEMPUS students a substantial phrase about an unstable table (allegedly a tongue twister). :slight_smile:

Dziękuję bardzo am y cwestiwn.

Would be nice; we’d probably need some Polish speakers to actually make the course though.

Are you yourself able to say this fable of the unstable table?

Nope - but I’ll see if my son can remember it, although he learned the phrase from the first cohort of Polish students under the EU’s TEMPUS programme to Aber which I helped to set up nearly 20 years ago. If he can remember, I’ll see if I can persuade him to produce a voice file. We can then allow any native speakers to judge how good his memory is.

In the meantime - I’m pretty sure this is what he learned - have a go yourself :grin:

Stół z powyłamywanymi nogami

A few minutes later. This is Chris’s version of the above: PolTongTwist1

He also recalls this but has no idea what it means: PolTongTwist2

Any suggestions from Polish speakers? (along with marks out of 10 for his prounciation) :grin:

3 Likes

I think we’re probably about a month or so away from the next round of trials for the course creation tool - at which stage, as long as we can find translators/recorders, we’d be more than happy to take requests… :slight_smile:

The second tongue twister is “W Szczebrzeszynie chrząszcz brzmi w trzcinie” which means “cane beetle sound in Szczebrzeszyn” (Szczebrzeszyn is a small town in Poland).

1 Like