Published: new advanced content

That moment when you think that greeting people with chwech chwech chwech (maybe mutated in gwech gwech gwech) is quite a bizarre Welsh or @beca-brown’s habit. :roll_eyes:
Glad there’s transcriptions! :grin:

2 Likes

Sorry that I’m on the backfoot, trying to catch up with all of those brilliant extra Level 3 Challenges and also these extra-brilliant advanced content items. I love them all.

Anyway, I’m taking it that Leisa Gwenllian’s untranslated 'lly with a Welsh Ll is just the tag/filler: Actually

Edit: Or even, Literally. Hopefully not.

2 Likes

Hi John,

I’ve taken it as a truncated ‘felly’ - so/ that-therefore - the sort of thing that can be omitted in the translation without changing the meaning.

Rich

3 Likes

I thought it as felly too. But my guess was mostly based on the fact that she (and many others) seem to use this word a lot!
Almost like I mean or cioé in Italian, so I thought that if I heard a “lly” it would probably be it. Not very scientific though! :grin:

4 Likes

…. except that there is another felly straight after it. Admittedly after the comma. Is there anyone from N Wales with kids that can shed any light? Perhaps even Leisa Gwenllian or Beca?

Incidentally - Thank you so much, Leisa Gwenllian for this insight into your life as a star and yet very much as a real person as well. Wishing you all the best for your studies and career.

Dilolch fawr iawn, Leisa Gwenllian am golwg 'na mewn dy byd dy am 'mond seren, ac person go iawn. Gobeitio pob bendith am dy dringfa (?)

4 Likes

Yes, it’s used a lot - in short, long form and both I.e. twice. There is a felly in long form before and after a comma too…it seems to be a mannerism…or that is where my uneducated 10 pence bet is placed!

3 Likes

@beca-brown :slight_smile: (it’s almost certainly an enthusiastic sprinkling of fellys :slight_smile: ).

4 Likes

Hi John - I may well have been over enthusiastic with the ‘felly’s’ or the ‘lly’s’ - it is used often, mind - just as punctuation really and thinking time between sentences!

3 Likes

Haha!!! You’ll probably hear all kinds of weird Beca mannerisms come out! One thing I’ve learnt while transcribing is how often I start sentences without properly finishing them! :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

So glad you enjoyed, and I will certainly pass on your thoughts to the family

2 Likes

Hi Beca. No, not at all. I really love this natural Welsh. Thank you so much for giving us this insight into the living language.

4 Likes

It is so enormously valuable for learners to see what a natural part of language use this is - they can, at a pinch, identify it in their own first language, but it’s only really obvious when the spoken language is transcribed - so you’re doing something very important here in terms of helping people see that language shifts and shuffles all over the place… :slight_smile: :clinking_glasses:

11 Likes

Thank you for the lovely message. It’s always hard to know whether I should transcribe every single utterance, but I hope I’m giving a sense of how the language is actually used.

2 Likes

Helo pobs! (I’ve decided that ‘pobs’ is a fair translation of ‘peeps’!) - another Sgwrs coming your way tomorrow - looks at clock - oh, it’s now today! - and a shout out to those of you interested in environmental issues. Hope you enjoy.

9 Likes

Beca, your stuff has been a revelation. I put the latest one on and thought “this one’s a bit easier”, so I went back to the earlier ones and by magic they’re all a bit easier, so thanks and I’m enjoying your book too.

5 Likes

Great stuff. I’m still playing catch up. Loved Trystans interview. He sounds a pretty cool guy. I thought I’d gone to Heaven. Steddfodau, classic cars, Moses on a tractor and even a mention of my dad’s cousin. :+1:.

2 Likes

I love it when people notice this happening… :slight_smile: :heart:

2 Likes

And now published… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you so much for the kind words, and I’m glad you’re enjoying the book! There’ll be another one next year, hopefully… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Really enjoying these @beca-brown. You are doing a great job.
Quick question if ok, for Beca or anyone:
In No.4 (Eleri Lovgreen), is Hwi (push) the same as the N.English/S.Scots Hoy : eg to hoy a welly, hammer, unruly pubgoer, what/whoever, etc. Or is it a sailing term?

The only dictionary help I could find with throw was the GPC, which went a bit far with a derived Quarry Workers reference:
A friendly beating up, with the option of pouring cigarette tar into the wound :slight_smile:

2 Likes