Published: new advanced content

A ballu = A phethau felly = “And things like that”(or similar expressions)

Diolch, Beca. I will put this one in my belt. Next time I’m in the Penbont I can use it in place of “ac ati” or “ac yn y blaen” to give my conversation and/or monologue more variety :smile:

5 Likes

I agree with @Bob.
I really appreciated the list of phrases at the end, @beca-brown :
they’re the kind of expressions that would not be easy to catch when people use them. And they’re also great to use to sound more native, even though in general, my real current vocabulary is probably close to a…2-year-old native! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Hi John, ‘hwi’ is a shove, a push, ‘the elbow’ - it’s often used to describe being sacked or dumped!!

3 Likes

Glad it’s helpful. I’ll add any others that come up.

Well you’ll be a hugely well spoken and authentic-sounding two-year-old then! Glad the list has helped.

1 Like

The Penbont?! That’s the name of my local too!

Btw, who is your dad’s cousin that was mentioned? Forgive me for being nosey!

1 Like

Hi Beca, no that’s fine. His name was Alf Wight. The vet, also known by his pen name: James Herriot. He was a really nice man. Very shy really, and a great football fan. I only met him a couple of times, as he lived quite a distance from us.

1 Like

Bob’s moved to your part of the world pretty recently… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @beca-brown, I don’t know if you’re still looking to add people to your list, but just in case;
What about the Team Sky cycling team manager, Sir Dave Brailsford. He was brought up near Caernarfon and made a cameo appearance on Pobol y Cwm a couple of years ago.

2 Likes

Always looking for suggestions! Many thanks

1 Like

Ah!!! I must remember this over Christmas when I’ve over-indulged on the Baileys!

1 Like

Wow, amazing! I’ll tell Trystan because I know he’s a huge fan of the books and the series’, he’ll be very interested.

2 Likes

Shwmae Beca,

I’m only belatedly catching up with this thread, and was thrilled, among other reasons, to learn you would be writing for Rownd a Rownd. Have to say, I’ve been a complete addict for some time now.

If not too late, a couple of plot ideas:

I’d really like to see Barry finally grow up a bit in his relationship with Carys (and women in general).

The other is just a general feeling that Lowri really does need to get away from Kelvin (and Kay!), but that it shouldn’t be too painful for all concerned. Not sure how that can come about though. I’m not at all sure that Philip is the right man for her though.

Another aspect of this is that I think Lowri and Kelvin would have had more of a chance in their own place, away from “Mam”! They were supposed to be getting one of the houses that Terry and Kelvin were building at one point. I don’t know why that didn’t happen.

Eniwe, pob lwc efo Rownd a Rownd!!!

Edit: If you are still looking for suggestions for interviewees, may I suggest Dylan Iorwerth?
I like his “Dan yr Wyneb” programme (even if it is usually about 2 miles over my head), and he did a nice series on S4C a while back, about Welsh people in days gone by who had done significant things in various far distant parts of the world. And he’s also editor (or editor in chief, or some important position) of the Golwg magazine. Nice clear speaker too, and not too fast. Apologies to southern learners though, that it means another Gog. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you download the mp3 file to a PC/laptop, and then use the public domain software “potplayer” to listen to it, it has a variable speed control, so you could wind it up to chipmunk speed if you so desired, or any speed you like really. (One can also do clever things in Audacity, but that’s more complicated, whereas potplayer is easy).

Other media players, and platforms are of course available. :slight_smile:

Edit: Looking back, I see someone made the same suggestion but using VLC. Chwara teg.

3 Likes

Finished the latest scwrs - and what a fascinating one! ( Also a tiny bit easier because Duncan speaks a bit more slowly.)
So.many things I cou!d relate to. His experience as an English speaking child starting school in a Welsh medium school mirrored my mum’s experience as a Welsh speaking chi!d in an English medium schoo!. And then his father’s advice to leave Wales and Welsh behind him must have been made at the same time as we were heading for Canada and my mum decided there was no point teaching me Welsh. So sad that people felt that way at that time - but good that it has turned round.
I have been inspired to join his Llen Natur Facebook group too. Thank you again, Beca.

4 Likes

And… this week’s is up… :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Great! Since I found cooking is a great moment to listen to Welsh, I could listen to some of it right away. :slight_smile:

First curiosity: his accent sounds a bit more English, rather than from some specific area of Wales. I sort of understood he lived in different places because his dad was in the Army so that might be the reason - or maybe I’m wrong!
What accent is this?

2 Likes

Not so much English as ‘adult learner of Welsh’ - but yes, that’s a good ear you’ve got there, Gisella… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi there! Many thanks for the message - I was in the R&R story room yesterday and read out your message to my fellow-storyliners - they very much appreciated your interest and suggestions. We work a year ahead of what you currently see on screen, with topical changes made later of course, so I think you may be pleased with the way some characters’ stories are panning out…! Keep watching!

3 Likes