Pump am y Penwythnos / Friday Five 02/10/2020 5️⃣

Bore Da! I hope you are all keeping safe and well and have an enjoyable weekend planned. :slight_smile:

1) If you could have an original piece of art by any artist on your wall, what would it be and why would you choose it?

2) In hindsight, what shouldn’t you have done last week?

3) If you could invent a new competition for the National Eisteddfod what would it be?

4) Is there a hobby/pastime/evening class, you’ve always wanted to have a go at but never have?

5) Who deserves an award and what would that award be for?

1 Like

1) If you could have an original piece of art by any artist on your wall, what would it be and why would you choose it?

It would be Van Gogh’s ‘Café Terrace at Night’, because it’s my fave. Or Lawrence Alma Tadema’s ‘A Coign of Vantage’. Or, wait, no, Tiepolo’s ‘An Allegory with Venus and Time’. I WANT ALL OF THEM. NOW.

Steal all those original pieces of art. Or eat that piece of pizza.

3) If you could invent a new competition for the National Eisteddfod what would it be?

Clog dancing.

What, seriously? They do that already? Oh.

How about dog painting, then?

4) Is there a hobby/pastime/evening class, you’ve always wanted to have a go at but never have?

Dog painting.

And maybe learning to play the harp.

Our dog Ceiri. For putting up with the cats and the kids.

3 Likes

I think I would have something by Kat Cardy, the artist that spraypainted a fabulous dragon mural on a boring wall in The Graig, Pontypridd lately. I “watched” its progress on Facebook, and it’s fabulous. She has a really unique style and deserves supporting.

I shouldn’t have tried 3 times to enter the wrong number in my online banking and got my “electronic signature” blocked :roll_eyes:

Pecha kucha

Too many! I’d like to study all the subjects I had to give up in school due to rigid timetabling not allowing my selection of choices!

The people who work for the MAG organisation clearing land mines left from wars that finished years ago but are still destroying people’s lives. The work they do is amazing.

3 Likes

If you could have an original piece of art by any artist on your wall, what would it be and why would you choose it?

Poppy fields – Claude Monet – I can look at it for hours.

In hindsight, what shouldn’t you have done last week?

Allowed my sister to visit one day before lockdown. It was legal but against the spirit of the regulation. It was lovely to see her.

If you could invent a new competition for the National Eisteddfod what would it be?

Any contribution from someone who is not welsh but has moved to Wales or adopted Wales as their home.

Is there a hobby/pastime/evening class, you’ve always wanted to have a go at but never have?

Birdwatching – Since moving to Wales I can identify at least 10 more species. Including the buzzards who lives just near me. I want to be a proper birdwatcher with one of those posh telescopes they use.

Who deserves an award and what would that award be for?

My mum who has been virtually housebound for 6 months. She is 91 and very bored. All she can do is read her Kindle, Check her emails and watch TV. She misses her church, art class and Women’s institute.

4 Likes

If you could have an original piece of art by any artist on your wall, what would it be and why would you choose it?

I’m a horrible philistine when it comes to visual art I’m afraid, so I’d probably just turn the choice over to Karla - she’d make a much better choice than me! Or, if she was okay with having her own stuff up on her own wall, then I can think of a number of those I like - but I’ll have to check whether that’s okay :wink:

In hindsight, what shouldn’t you have done last week?

Made the naive assumption that the weather couldn’t possibly change as fast as it did, and ended up trapped in the rain.

If you could invent a new competition for the National Eisteddfod what would it be?

Tongue twisters!

Is there a hobby/pastime/evening class, you’ve always wanted to have a go at but never have?

If I could afford it, I’ve always said I’d love to go back to uni and study linguistics.

Who deserves an award and what would that award be for?

When a time machine gets invented, somebody needs to go back in time and give Alan Turing the recognition he was so unfairly denied during his lifetime.

5 Likes

A Sunday on La Grande Jatte by Seurat, because it makes me feel happy.

Nothing, each day I live is full of silly mistakes, but without them I’d never get any wiser.

Something to celebrate our older generation and the wealth of stories they have about our old communities.

I’d love to have a shed full of tools geared towards upcycling and repurposing old items. especially turning things in to lamps and using broken glass items such as glasses and bottles, to make new things.

Two people I think…

@siaronjames for being an awesome presence on this forum, always warm and welcoming, always helpful and with what seems to be a wealth of knowledge and experience.

And my Mam, for being born in 1932; for living through the 2nd world war; for coping with losing her beloved big brother to it; for raising both my sisters on her own on a low income; for living through the birth of technology and coping with how that dramatically changed her world; for having my brother and myself in her early 40s when both my sisters were ready to leave school and go to university; for coping so well with being the only one left of her generation in our family; for living through this pandemic at 88 years old with such gusto, keeping herself busy with crafts and home improvements.

6 Likes

:blush: