Pump am y Penwythnos / Friday Five 03/04/2020 5️⃣

Bore da pawb! How are you all doing?

1) Share with us three fabulous family games that you keep going back to time and time again - board/card/other?

2) With the calendar now empty and all events cancelled, how are you planning to add some sort of sense of occasion to your weeks for the next couple of months or so?

3) Who’s your favourite comedian and why?

4) What is something you’re doing now that you’ve wither never done before or not done for some time? Please avoid answering with ‘staying at home’ … :wink:

5) Finish this - (keep it clean :slight_smile: )
There was a Welsh learner from Leeds…

6) Make up your own Friday Five question and answer it…

1 Like

1) Share with us three fabulous family games that you keep going back to time and time again - board/card/other?

The Three Macheteers (my Welsh family) play blackjack, Qwirkle and Dobble in Welsh. We do have an alcohol problem - things get better for me the more the others drink, but worse for them as I drink, and start waving my arms around…

2) With the calendar now empty and all events cancelled, how are you planning to add some sort of sense of occasion to your weeks for the next couple of months or so?

What do you mean, the calendar’s empty? I’ve never been so busy since everything - classes, Book Club, etc - went online. And the Welsh Speaking Practice Group has never been so lively - it takes me all week to recover from my Thursday Chatathons.

I find a lot of humour cruel, but the other Macheteers make me laugh until I cry, even without the alcohol.

4) What is something you’re doing now that you’ve wither never done before or not done for some time? Please avoid answering with ‘staying at home’ … :wink:

Singing ‘Happy birthday’ to myself in the bathroom.

Who scattered some Welsh poppy seeds.
They multiplied hugely
From Richmond to Rugely -
Now England’s covered in weeds.

[/quote]

Did you realise, Catrin, how few things rhyme with Leeds?

7 Likes

I second Bronwen but would add that the last word in every line never seems to have an easy rhyming word to go with it.

4 Likes

Are you seriously trying to tell me it’s Friday?

Again??

There was a Welsh learner from Leeds
Who had most peculiar needs
On encountering a mutation
He was full of elation
And said give me more of them please.

7 Likes

We have a Texas Holdem Poker set which I take out when I need to make a quick buck from the rest of the family. My son has recently bought the original Trivial Pursuits. I got cross, though, when one of the Science and Nature answers differed from mine. :rage:
I am the token wrinkly on the Institute of Physics Wales committee. We held a virtual meeting (using gotomeet) recently and we’re all trying to think of virtual events and activities for members.
Billy Connolly by far :rofl::rofl::rofl:, although he did ruin a holiday for me. I was taking my young son for a boating holiday many years ago on Scotland’s Caledonian Canal. The night before embarquing I watched one of his shows on the B&B’s TV. I laughed so much at one of his filthier jokes that I fell off the sofa and injured my back. I spent the entire holiday bent double, which is not a good way to negotiate a flight of locks. :anguished:
I’ve never before lived through 15:15 on 3rd March 2020. It was quite an enjoyable experience :wink:
I’ve thunk - here’s my offering:

Believer in several creeds
His aim was to hammer…
…out formal Welsh grammar
Let’s hope that he never succeeds

Q: What’s your second favourite country in the world
A: New Zealand

3 Likes

Penblwydd Hapus Iawn - I’ve sung a verse for you. :smile:

2 Likes

Boggle is always fun.
Trace and I love a good scrabble.
Good old connect 4 too, it’s great to see how quickly the young ones learn.

I don’t know about sense of occasion as we’re both still working but it’s been great spending more time with the sprogs.

There’s only one or two that I don’t like to be honest and we’ve seen a few live over the years. Lee Evans from years ago used to crack me up. He’s been in one or two decent films too.

Tinkered in the garage, I’ve been enjoying a bit of time alone with my new toy. :grinning:

Who couldn’t fulfil his wife’s needs
But while hunan-ynysu
Got down to some chwysu
And the rest you can use your imagination 'cos I’m not going there. :joy:

5 Likes

This is blatantly untrue. I have never found alcohol to be a problem. It’s very very easy to drink! (Unless, of course, you’re sitting within arm’s reach of Bronwen, when it becomes easier to wear. :rofl:)

@peterallen, that is a fine piece of poetry. It has everything: tension, topical interest, a touch of the unexpected… Are you sure you hadn’t started drinking before you wrote it? :wink:

4 Likes

Oh, I will need to check today’s bottle I put out at 8.00am. I have noticed that, at 8.00pm, it is often empty but I haven’t worked out who got to it before me…

2 Likes

We’re big on board games on my side of the family, which we play very loudly and VERY competitively. Take Four and Anagrams are two of our favourites. My brother and I are both serious blackjack addicts and used to play into the early hours. I love it so much that I introduced it to my Macheteer family so now they have to play it as well!

The main thing that’s changed for me is that instead of being on my own all week, I now have my partner living with me every day. This makes every day feel like the weekend, and I keep baking cakes and biscuits, cooking rich meals, eating chocolate… So my aim is to get less of a sense of occasion into my weeks and start living life as normal.

I like lots of them (and will really miss Mach Comedy Fest this year :cry:) but silly comedy appeals to me a lot. People like David O’Docherty and Alex Horne (and I agree with @gruntius, Lee Evans is great - have you seen the extended sketch about the late night petrol station, all in mime? Brilliant!)

Living with my better half full time. It’s weird - and I could do without his work colleagues popping up unexpectedly all the time on video and teleconferences - but it’s also kinda nice!

With a pair of magnificent steeds
He rode both at once
Past the pond - what a dunce!
And landed head first in the reeds.

(There really aren’t many rhymes for Leeds, are there?)

It’s now illegal in Wales to exercise outside more than once a day, and there are government warnings about exercising responsibly. Does that mean that exercise is now officially more dangerous than alcohol? (Asking for a friend…)

6 Likes

Secret Hitler - excellent game where you’re split into Liberals and Fascists. The Fascists know who each other are but the liberals don’t. You have to get your policies through and stop Hitler/or the liberals. Very entertaining.
Linkee - general knowledge with a link between the answers
The After 8 game - place an After Eight on your forehead and get it to you mouth without using any other limb.

I’m still in work (NHS) so my weeks are fairly similar (but very different). However:
My new thing is to try and get my 5km run faster than 20 minutes and to increase my weekly kilometres. Our gym is also running classes over zoom so I get to see my friends there.
Weekends, we have zoom “pub” quizzes with the families.

Elis James was the first comedian I understood in Welsh. So he has a special place for me. (He’s also hilarious)

I’ve started playing chess again after a looooooong break. Safe to say, I have some chess knowledge and planning to regain.

Who couldn’t get off his knees
I’m not being naughty
It’s your mind that’s dirty
…you people are hard to please!

If you had to start a Limerick which word you place at the end?
Leeds, definitely Leeds

Labyrinth
Carcassonne
The card game Mau Mau

We’ve an everyone up, washed, dressed, fed by 10 rule at the weekend. Ni ipods/iphones charging in bedrooms overnight on weeknights, online Karate lessons twice a week. The weekends are free for all, starting with ovie night on Friday. We have bacon and eggs every Sunday morning and are going to try and make something special of the Easter weekend. :wink:

I love comedy and like so many - it’s really difficult to choose. The first I saw live was Ben Elton about 1989/1990 I think. I’ve also seen Ardal O’Hanlon live (Father Dougal in Father Ted) - he was hilarious, and I’ve seen Eddie Izzard a couple of times! I love Bill Bailey, Simon Evans, John Bishop… and so many more!

Not going in to my parents’s house when taking them groceries… :frowning: