Pump am y Penwythnos / Friday five 09/02/1972

Bore da! I hope everyone is feeling ardderchog today? Seeing as it’s my penblwydd, This week’s questions are all about birthdays and celebrations.

1. What was the last celebration you attended and what was the best thing about that celebration?

2. List two songs/pieces of music which were popular at the time you were born.

3. If you had the funds and resources to do anything you liked on your next milestone birthday, how would you decide to celebrate?

4. Do you share a birthday with anyone you admire, famous or not? You can list as many people as you like.

5. Name one food item, one type of drink, one album, one game and one decoration you would bring to a party.

And one bonus!

1. Name three interesting facts about the year in which you were born!

I hope you all have a fabulous weekend!!! :smile:

2 Likes
  1. The SSiW party last year - meeting old & new friends.
  2. ‘I’m A Believer’ by the Monkees & ‘Green, Green Grass of Home’ by Tom Jones (both of which I still have from my mum’s record collection)
  3. Killjoy Alert - Nothing. I don’t celebrate my birthdays.
  4. Yes - but if I list them you’ll know when my birthday is.
  5. Difficult because much would depend who’s party it was.
  6. a) UK won the Eurovision Song Contest for the first time (Sandie Shaw singing ‘Puppet on a String’)
    b) Merched y Wawr was founded in the village of Parc near Bala.
    c) Walt Disney’s animation ‘The Jungle Book’ was released - it was the last animated film personally supervised by Disney himself.
2 Likes

My birthday in Caernarfon … cyfeillion / friends

“Grandad” was number one I believe.

I would love to take a trip around America to the same places as we did when I turned 30.[quote=“catrinlliarjones, post:1, topic:10943”]
Do you share a birthday with anyone you admire, famous or not? You can list as many people as you like.
[/quote]
Probably the coolest is Suggs but Julia Louis-Dreyfuss is my favourite. Admire? Not really.

Pasta salad
Bailey’s for my wife
God shuffled his feet
The logo game
No idea.

I was born
Decimal currency was introduced in the UK
My sister was no longer favourite. :joy::laughing:

1 Like

The wedding of one of my nieces. Meeting family members again.

It seems that “Slow boat to China” and “Nature Boy” were popular.

I am determined not to celebrate my next milestone birthday, and to keep it as quiet as possible.

Vincent van Gogh, Eric Clapton.

I wouldn’t go to the party! Not my scene. I take bread pudding to the old folks’ bring and share if that counts.

The railways were nationalised to form British Rail.
The World Health Organisation was formed by the United Nations.
The National Health Service was started.

Happy Birthday!
Sue

1 Like

A new year’s party. And the best thing was that I totally met a wizard. He gave me his business card and everything. It said “wizard” on it.

Billie Jean (yay!) and Total Eclipse of the Heart (…oh).

I’m on the killjoy team with @siaronjames, I’m afraid. But since I get the funds and resources, I’d probably go somewhere nice… friends can come with… I just wouldn’t let on to anyone that my birthday was the reason. :wink:

Apparently not, but if I can widen the date range very slightly, Edward Snowden is almost exactly the same age as me (he’s a few days older).

Rosemary bread with some nice cheese, some Real Ale from a Westmorland brewery, Caravan Palace’s self-titled debut album, and some traditional cheesy stars and tinsel. (Wait, this is a Christmas party, isn’t it? Oh, it’s not? I’m not sure what traditional birthday decorations are, to be honest. Balloons and that? :smiley: )

According to Wikipedia: “The year 1983 saw both the official beginning of the Internet and the first mobile cellular telephone call.”

…oh hold on, there was supposed to be three. Okay then, this interesting thing happened. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

[quote=“catrinlliarjones, post:1, topic:10943”]

1. What was the last celebration you attended and what was the best thing about that celebration? [/quote]

I recently went to Emma’s granddad’s funeral. It was a celebration of a great man’s life and brought together the whole family.

I was born in week 3 of Stand By Me as Number 1
I wanna dance with somebody was also number 1 that year

My last birthday was a milestone and Emma surprised me by getting both of our families and my closest friends to Centre Parcs. That was pretty perfect.

[quote=", post:1, topic:10943"]
4) Do you share a birthday with anyone you admire, famous or not? You can list as many people as you like. [/quote]

I share a birthday with my brother’s friend who is a single mother. That’s pretty admirable.

[quote=", post:1, topic:10943"]
5) Name one food item, one type of drink, one album, one game and one decoration you would bring to a party. [/quote]

food: carrot, garlic, mayonnaise and pine nut coleslaw
drink: Pipes Bavarian Pilsner (independent Bragdy in Pontcanna)
album: Stevie Wonder, Hotter than July
game: articulate
decoration: a picture of my face?

1. The Simpsons first airs
  2. The first ever Rugby World Cup kicks off
  3. 800,000 people stood shoulder to shoulder on the Golden Gate Bridge to celebrate it’s 50th anniversary
1 Like

1) What was the last celebration you attended and what was the best thing about that celebration?

Catrin’s birthday lunch yn Tŷ Castell. The company.

2) List two songs/pieces of music which were popular at the time you were born.

Sitting on the Dock of the Bay
Hey Jude
I Heard it Through the Grapevine
Hello, I Love You
Mrs Robinson

Good year.

3) If you had the funds and resources to do anything you liked on your next milestone birthday, how would you decide to celebrate?

Bring friends and family for a long weekend in Caernarfon. Oh, okay, or maybe in Florence.

4) Do you share a birthday with anyone you admire, famous or not? You can list as many people as you like.

Kevin Bacon, apparently. I quite like that.

And Beck. And Anjelica Huston! Oh, and Joan Osborne - cool. And Alfred Binet! And Jean de la Fontaine - this is fun… :slight_smile: And Ellen MacArthur.

5) Name one food item, one type of drink, one album, one game and one decoration you would bring to a party.

Cashews. Rum. The White Album. Mao-mao. A small plastic daffodil.

6) Name three interesting facts about the year in which you were born!

Martin Luther King was shot.
Students rioting in Paris.
Tet Offensive.
Warsaw Pact troops invade Czechoslovakia.
France explodes its first hydrogen bomb.
Tlatelolco massacre in Mexico - 300-400 student demonstrators killed.
The Troubles begin, in Derry, when police baton civil rights demonstrators.
The Khmer Rouge is formed.

God, we thought 2016 was bad.

1 Like

God, I was dancing to that at university. Bloody youngsters.

1 Like
  1. Also a New Year’s Party with a couple of good friends and it was great because we hadn’t seen them for a while and we stayed in with snacks, great music and cats to fuss!

2. Every year being the number one in the week of my birthday is recorded so this is pretty easy to find out!

https://youtu.be/uPudE8nDog0

There were four joint highest selling UK single in the year of my birth and although Soft Cell’s Tainted Love has stood the test of time better, I have a soft spot for this

also, Adam and the Ants had the best selling album of the year so deserve credit for that! Pretty great year for music though

1. Firstly, I would make sure I was in a place where they do not celebrate Christmas. I get mightily sick of my birthday playing second fiddle to the big event. If money was zero object I would organise a great big party full of other language lovers and we wouldn’t speak any English all night and the music would be from all over the world.

2. Oh good Lord, I share a birthday with Stephenie Meyer, who I most definitely do not admire! I share a birthday exactly with one of my favourite Eurovision singers, Dima Bilan. Noel StreatfIeld who wrote one of my beloved childhood books, Ballet Shoes, was apparently a Christmas Eve baby too.

3. Food: Muffins, I love baking muffins! Drink: Sangria, and it’s all for me :wink: Album: Grand Prix Party Best of Eurovision of course Game: Noooo gaaaames. Do not like party games. Decoration: a disco ball, kitsch is always good!

4. MS-DOS version one was released. UK actually won the Eurovision Song Contest with Making your Mind Up. Postman Pat was first aired on the BBC

3 Likes

So did I, was yours at a throwback night at the union too? :wink:

1 Like

Grrrrrrrr…:wink:

1 Like

1) What was the last celebration you attended and what was the best thing about that celebration?

I have fond memories of the last Friday before Christmas last year. School was breaking up for the holidays so I decided to make a buffet and invite my parents along with my brother, his daughters and his partner. The tree was up and all a glow, the fire was roaring, candles were lit, the Prosecco was chilled and everyone was in a happy mood. Later in the evening we heard a knock on the door and some very talented local carol singers came in and joined us around the fire. They sang so hauntingly beautifully and enjoyed a chat and a glass of port. It was a lovely evening and a perfect way to celebrate the beginning of the Christmas holidays.

Telegram Sam - T.Rex
Let’s Stay Together - Al Green

3) If you had the funds and resources to do anything you liked on your next milestone birthday, how would you decide to celebrate?

Champagne, good food, family time and possibly a night away somewhere with my husband.

4) Do you share a birthday with anyone you admire, famous or not? You can list as many people as you like.

I am very pleased to say that I share a birthday with @Novem She has learnt Welsh extremely quickly and to a very high standard. She is one of the friendliest and gentlest people I’ve met and I greatly admire her enthusiasm, confidence and easy going nature.

I also share a birthday with this wonderful man - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitin_Nohria Nitin and I met in London in the mid 1990s. He was on sabbatical at the London Business School with his wife and young daughter and they were expecting their second. I became their nanny, working for them in London and Boston. We became and have remained close friends, but unfortunately haven’t been able to visit them since 2005. Nitin and I are exactly 10 years apart in age and enjoyed sharing a similar sense of humour, we always got on very well and he was like a big brother to me. He and his wife Monica are some of the kindest and most humble people I have ever had the pleasure of knowing

5) Name one food item, one type of drink, one album, one game and one decoration you would bring to a party.

I would bring a large, rich, home made chicken, leek, tarragon, white wine and fresh cream pie. All the ingredients for an endless supply of Mojitos. Either a Latin American Salsa/Bossa Nova album or a Bhangra album. A pack of cards. Candles, fortune cookies and possibly a Pinata.

And one bonus!

• 1972 was a leap year.
  • Rose Heilbron becomes the first woman judge at the Old Bailey in London.
  • Bloody Sunday: The British Army kills 14 unarmed nationalist civil rights marchers in Derry, Northern Ireland.
  • The Soviet unmanned spaceship Luna 20 lands on the Moon.
  • Grease had it’s first Broadway run.
  • The Munich massacre took place.
  • David Bowie gave birth to Ziggy Stardust.
  • ABBA was formed!
  • Watership Down was published.
  • On my the day I was born, February 9 – The British government declares a state of emergency over a miners’ strike.

Sorry that was more that 3 - I got carried away! :smile:

2 Likes

That was '68 wasn’t it. Ironic that 1967 had been “The Summer of Love”!

1 Like

Christmas at my daughter’s London flat, along with my wife, son and daughter in law, and 8-month old grandson.

Not sure, but I would think Glen Miller’s “In the Mood” would still have been popular.
Oh, apparently “Rudolph The Red Nose Reindeer” by Gene Awtry was in the top 30. (Wasn’t he a cowboy…?).
And apparently “Ragtime Cowboy Joe” was also in the charts (although I only remember the later version by The Chipmunks).

Like some others, I don’t really celebrate my birthday, but given funds and resources and no constrains on time, I’d take a long, leisurely railway trip, first class, through Germany’s many picturesque regions, and maybe also take in a boat trip down the Rhine.
(But see below **)

An uncle whom I was fond of and admired.
Apparently, I also share it with D.H.Lawrence, O Henry, and Johnny Vegas.
Oh dear, and also Dr Crippen! I think I’d better stop there…

Food: I try not to inflict my food choices on others.
Drink: Some bottles of good red wine, German if I can get hold of them.
Album: Some early 1970s Status Quo, e.g. “Dog of Two Head”. Also Tubular Bells, Mike Oldfield.

And one bonus!

1. Well, apparently, Currywurst was invented!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Currywurst
    **I quite like Currywurst, so I’d have to include Berlin in my above-mentioned trip, in order to get the real thing (although you can also get it at Herman Ze German in Soho.

2. The Federal Republic of Germany, and also the German Democratic Republic were both founded.

3. George Orwell’s novel, 1984 was published. It had been written in 1948, and I believe the title was just a scrambled version of that year, rather than a reference to a future date.

1 Like

Don’t look at me. It wasn’t my fault.

1 Like