Pump am y Penwythnos / Friday Five 09/10/2020 5️⃣

Bore da bawb! :slight_smile:

1) This first question is from my daughter Angharad - if you could become proficient/professional at any sports, which would it be?

2) If you were a ghost, who would you haunt and why?

3) What’s the worst book you’ve ever read, movie you’ve ever watched and performance you’ve ever attended?

4) Where is your favourite beach and what is it like?

5) What can we learn about you from what’s hanging on your walls?

And a bonus question

6) Share with us one piece of wisdom/one piece of advice or one inspirational quote for the weekend.

Have a great one everybody! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hurrah for Fridays!

1) This first question is from my daughter Angharad - if you could become proficient/professional at any sports, which would it be?

Tennis. It’s such a graceful yet powerful sport

Probably one of the Royal Family. I’d like to hang out in comfortable palaces and nosey at what things are like behind the scenes

3) What’s the worst book you’ve ever read, movie you’ve ever watched and performance you’ve ever attended?

Worst book: ‘Sheepshagger’, by Niall Griffiths. Horrible, horrible book where nothing nice happens and it’s full of utterly grim violence. Avoid.
Worst film: ‘Mission to Mars’. Gary Sinise in dreadful eyeliner and a rubbish script
Worst performance: probably some of the comedy acts I’ve seen over the years. I’ve blocked out the names

Dinas Dinlle. the dog-friendly end. Loads of sand and happy dogs, including mine

That I live with someone who really, REALLY likes steam trains :rofl:

And a bonus question
6) Share with us one piece of wisdom/one piece of advice or one inspirational quote for the weekend.

Never drink in a pub with a flat roof

3 Likes

Tennis. My first answer would be rugby, but then I think about all the injuries and it becomes a no… :wink:

As long as it didn’t have to be for ever, I think I could probably have quite a bit of fun haunting Donald Trump.

Gravity’s Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon, couldn’t finish it. The Goonies. Think I’ve been lucky not to see any truly dreadful performances, though…

Maybe one of the beaches in the Algarve near where we used to live - lovely hot sand dropping off immediately into the deep Atlantic and its muscular waves. Or Carreg y Defaid, which is rocky but full of happy memories of Scottish terriers…

That I’m married to someone who makes the decisions about what goes on the walls…

Just finished reading ‘The Book of Joy’ about a week the Dalai Lama and Archbishop Tutu spent in each other’s company - so I’ll go for ‘the more compassion you feel for other people, the happier you will be’… :slight_smile: :heart:

3 Likes

archery

J.K. Rowling - that’d teach her to give kids nightmares!

Book: Camino de Santiago in 20 Days: My Way On The Way Of St. James by Randall St. Germain - unspeakable egotism on every second page.

Film: Dark Shadows. The things you put up with for friends…

Performance: The Ghost Train by Arnold Ridley (or more exactly, the two performances I acted in) - at one point everyone forgot their lines and there was a veeeery awkward silence till I started ad-libbing and inviting cast members to come out for a walk with me for “some fresh air”. We walked off stage and just about mugged a useless prompter.

Trá Mór, Co. Dún na nGall, Iwerddon. It’s huge and perfectly sandy and sheltered.

I carry most of my personal memories in my head.

And a bonus question

“When you’re going through Hell, keep going!” Churchill

1 Like

I’d love to have played rugby but I’d have been no good at it as I can’t throw or catch a ball. So I’ll choose archery. I love using a bow and it’d be a very handy skill come the zombie apocalypse.

I think I’d be so fed up at finding myself hanging around forever in an insubstantial form that I’d stomp/float off and sulk somewhere alone.

Book: A book called Slapton Sands that I picked up in a park. It had been released on Book Crossing, where you ‘release books into the wild’ for other people to find. I liked the idea, but hated the book so much I couldn’t finish it. Film: Event Horizon. I still regret not walking out of the cinema in the first five minutes. Performance: An art installation that we were forced to watch one lunchtime at an art sector conference. It consisted of a silent woman putting different animal masks onto statues and onto her own face. Repeatedly. For about twenty minutes.

River Number Two, Sierra Leone. It was an absolute paradise, run and protected by the community who lived there. White sands, clear water, palm trees, fresh fish to eat, a calm warm lagoon to swim in, and hardly anyone else there on a weekday. I say ‘was’ because the government were planning a road through the mangrove swamp at the edge of the beach last time I went, against the wishes of the community. I don’t know what it’s like now.

My taste is infinitely better than my partner’s :joy:

And a bonus question

“One man’s wisdom [is] another’s folly.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 Likes

seanob, thanks for explanation.

Football … never being a good footballer but I still remember the crosses I played to my mate Seppo and I really think it’s the team spirit that makes this one my first choice.

All politicians reminding them to tell the truth

Worst book: Angels & Demons by Dan Brown. Way too predictable
Worst movie: Charlie’s Angels (2000)
Worst Performance: Meat Loaf in Cologne. He turned up with a cold. Disgusting.

Freshwater east in Pembroke. Perfect Sand and Landscape around.

I’m a red wall member.

“There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory which states that this has already happened.”
― Douglas Adams, [The Restaurant at the End of the Universe]

1 Like

Pole vaulting - I rather fancy soaring over that bar way high up!

I don’t think I’d bother. I’d rather look ahead to new adventures.

Book - “Animal’s book of etiquette” (or something like that). A book from the Muppets series that my daughter became obsessed with and had me reading to her every night for weeks. In the end it had to mysteriously disappear!

Film - “The Godfather” - I went to see it when I was too young to cope with the story, the cinema was packed so the only seats left were in the front row, and between Marlon Brando’s mumbling and the distortion of the speakers, I left at half time.

Performance - Macbeth done in Japanese costumes. It was supposed to show the international themes of the play, but it didn’t make a lot of sense having Scottish characters dressed like samurai.

Bayleys Beach, near Dargaville, New Zealand - wide sweeping areas of sand with sandstone cliffs behind that we climbed as children

That my landlord still hasn’t come by to put my pictures up :rofl:

And a bonus question

It’s never too late to do something you should have done a few days ago :wink:

1 Like

Snooker. I have played snooker for 40 years. I would love to be good at it. My highest break is still only 26!

I don’t believe in Ghosts… but if I did, I would haunt the WHO people who strenuously denied the prospect of the current pandemic in January and allowed the world to continue on its merry way.

I read 2 chapters of a tome from Ben Elton a few years back. Complete contrived drivel.

Three Cliffs Bay, Gower. You only have to see it to fall in love. And because you can’t park close by not many people go there.

I just started learning oil painting and it has become a bit of a thing with me.

‘Give and it will be given you’ – In the bible somewhere.

(I’m in a bit of a mood today - can you tell from my answers? ;))

Bore da bawb! :slight_smile:

Swimming. I did a monthly 5k swim last year, but this year…? Dodgy shoulder is preventing me from being in a pool at all at the moment.:sob:

A leading politician. They need to have a seed of doubt in their head.

Some “English Language” children’s books written and published in Thailand with terrible storylines, terrible spelling and terrible grammar.

Cefn Sidan. Within a (long) walking distance of my home.

That we don’t have enough storage space. That someone has walked several pilgrimages and has certificates to prove it. That there are more quilts than beds in the house.

And a bonus question

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live. Albus Dumbledore.

Can I choose 2 plîs?
Individual: Olympic Weightlifting
Team: basketball

Haunt as in terrorise? Probably Katie Hopkins

Haunt as in, return to to have fun? Being the ghost of the old Mochyn Du on match days would be fun, or Clwb Ifor Bach

Book - we’re going on a bear hunt, I really couldn’t connect with the characters and felt the plot was a bit shallow.
Movie: Bridesmaids, I couldn’t finish it
Performance: when I was in year 6 our school band forgot to turn the microphones on. That was really uncomfortable for them.

porthmawr in October. It’s near Tŷ Ddewi in Sir Benfro and it’s a beautiful beach out of season.

We have a lot of wedding photos.
The entire Philosopher’s Stone on a poster
The quote “mawage is wot bwings us togewew today…” From the Princess Bride
A French Air Maroc poster from the 50s
A landscape of Lyon in cartoon style
And a Paul Naismith print
The words to Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau

And a bonus question

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing it doesn’t go in a fruit salad

2 Likes

:open_mouth:
You’re obviously not reading it right. It’s a fabulous book! I saw Michael Rosen perform it (yes, it’s a performance!) live once and it was one of the highlights of my year.

3 Likes

Show Jumping! :horse_racing: :horse: :racehorse:

My family, in the nicest way possible, so I could feel close to them again.
Or the Trump, in a Christmas Carol style way.
(by the way I don’t believe in ghosts)

Don Quixote

Being a massive, lifetime Star Wars fan, I’m still nor over the disappointment of the prequels.
Can’t recall a bad performance… oh, hold on, there may have been a karaoke bar somewhere… :wink:

I’m very much a ‘love the one you’re with’ kind of person, so it would have to be Dinas Dinlle - long, wide with a mixture of large expanses of sand when the tide is out and wonderfully colourful stones of all shapes and sizes. A stunning, quite awe inspiring view of The Eifl mountains (where I was raised) to the south/west, Snowdon and Eryri in the background and Anglesey to the north. It’s stunning in the summer and dramatic in the winter. It offers incredible photo opportunities and has great Ice cream and fish and chips.

That I come from a family of artists, that I’m patriotic, that I love my family and that I have quirky tastes.

And a bonus question

Make a list of the things which feed your soul and work on that self care. :heart:

1 Like

Yep, incredibly envious. :heart:

I love the book, I was only joking. I’m not sure you can criticise it for the plot

1 Like

I obviously have no sense of humour when it comes to children’s books and childish fun. These are things not to be taken lightly! :joy:

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:
They’re no laughing matter!

1 Like

you only live once.

1 Like