Pump am y Penwythnos / Friday Five 10/08/2018

Sorry to have missed last week!!!

1) This week I was moved to tears watching my dear friend Manon Steffan Ross win the Fedal Ryddiaith/Prose Medal at the Eisteddfod. When was the last time you were moved to tears?

2) We are all extremely proud at SSiW of Nicky and Steve for getting to the final of Dysgwr y Flwyddyn and yesterday the feeling of pride in the Bay following Geraint Thomas’ achievement was felt all across Wales. What are/were you so proud of, you could burts?

3) There has been a lot of discussion lately regarding the National Eisteddfod, in the wake of the decision to hold it in Cardiff Bay this year. Regarding the festival, can you think of four suggestions you would present to the Eisteddfod committee?

4) Where do you want to go?

5) I haven’t done one of these for a while so… This weekend what do you recommend I should

1. eat
2. drink
3. watch
4. do
5. listen to

6) Make up your own Friday Five question and answer it

2 Likes

1) This week I was moved to tears watching my dear friend Manon Steffan Ross win the Fedal Ryddiaith/Prose Medal at the Eisteddfod. When was the last time you were moved to tears?

It probably involved onions or mustard. No, I do get emotional about things, but I can’t remember a specific incident at the moment.

2) We are all extremely proud at SSiW of Nicky and Steve for getting to the final of Dysgwr y Flwyddyn and yesterday the feeling of pride in the Bay following Geraint Thomas’ achievement was felt all across Wales. What are/were you so proud of, you could burts?

My grown-up children of course, but especially nowadays my young grandson who’s a real charmer.

3) There has been a lot of discussion lately regarding the National Eisteddfod, in the wake of the decision to hold it in Cardiff Bay this year. Regarding the festival, can you think of four suggestions you would present to the Eisteddfod committee?

Something I’m definitely not qualified to comment on.

Anywhere on my new Yedoo scooter / kick-bike - but first I have to assemble it…

5) I haven’t done one of these for a while so… This weekend what do you recommend I should

1. eat
2. drink

(my suggestions for the above would be too boring and unoriginal)

3. watch

“M. Hulot’s Holiday” (ok, also not very original, but it’s a sure-fire winner).

4. do

That’s a hard one. You probably have plenty of interesting things to do already.

5. listen to

The Crazy Gang singing “Free” (It’s on Youtube).

6) Make up your own Friday Five question and answer it

"Why aren’t you getting on with assembling your new scooter Ellwood?"

“Achos dw i’n clotsyn diog”. But also a bit of technofear (I’ve already made a serious mistake with it this morning - fortunately rectified (I think) by a local bike shop).

2 Likes
  1. When was the last time you were moved to tears?

During a “Songs of Praise” style service at our church recently I was one of the four people asked to explain their favourite hymn. I produced a PowerPoint slide featuring Y Ddraig Goch as a watermark with the chorus and first verse of “Calon Lân” which I translated for everyone. I was unexpectedly then asked to sing it - I did and the resultant round of applause made me a bit emotional.

1. What are/were you so proud of, you could hurt?

My son gained his Degree in Electronic Engineering recently. He is dyslexic, got no help/time allowance (which is the norm) and he had to work his socks off. His girl-friend of 8 years kicked him out a little while before last Christmas (there was someone waiting in the wings to replace him after four days, unbeknown to Joe) which rocked his world to the core and set him back a bit. He returned home, got his head down and has just started a new job and we think he’s just brilliant.

1. There has been a lot of discussion lately regarding the National Eisteddfod, in the wake of the decision to hold it in Cardiff Bay this year. Regarding the festival, can you think of four suggestions you would present to the Eisteddfod committee?

A long-term support program for literary development of poets etc. Schools?
Scholarships. Rich individuals used to pay poets and artists to entertain them or write/sing their stories…
Financial support for literary projects.
S4C to be more widely available, not just as a catch-up service on Freeview… I thoroughly enjoyed the coverage on Radio Cymru in the cab of my lorry this week, but I’d like to be able to watch live…

1. Where do you want to go?

Y Canolbarth. And not leave again. Might have to update my answer to question 1, right now…

1. I haven’t done one of these for a while so… This weekend what do you recommend I should
  1. eat Something you consider to be a treat.
    A special treat.
    Even if it has to go on the credit card!!

2. drink Multepulciano. Spend at least £10.

3. watch The inside of your eyelids.
    Whilst lying on grass under the sun.
    For as long as it takes.

4. do Have your nails done.

5. listen to Hebrides Overture by Mendelssohn

1. Make up your own Friday Five question and answer it.

Which of Geraint Thomas’s relatives would you want to be and why?
His younger brother. Because you’d have a fantastic example of work-ethic to be close to.

Fantastic set of questions, Catrin Lliar!!

2 Likes
  1. When was the last time you were moved to tears?
    Funny you should ask. Tonight watching and listening to Brahms’ Deutsches Requiem from the Proms. It had added force because I have sung in it more than once. When the wonderful Soprano, Golda Schulz, started singing “Ihr habt nun Traurigkeit / Now you have sorrow” I was like a sobbing jelly. It must be a Welsh thing. :laughing:

2) What are/were you so proud of, you could burst?
(Hear, hear about Nicky and Geraint). My son achieving his Master’s degree in the face of enormous obstacles.

1. There has been a lot of discussion lately regarding the National Eisteddfod, in the wake of the decision to hold it in Cardiff Bay this year. Regarding the festival, can you think of four suggestions you would present to the Eisteddfod committee?
    I confess, I didn’t think it could possibly work as I would wish, so I didn’t go, so I’m not qualified to comment.
    South America, but my aversion since retirement to long-haul flights makes it an unlikely ambition
  2. This weekend what do you recommend I should

1. eat I can’t remember if you’re veggie. If so, Maureen’s broad bean and goat’s cheese risotto. Otherwise lamb shanks slow cooked in red wine which I’ve got planned for Sunday (slurrrp) :yum:
2. drink I’m at the end of the first week of two teetotal months so I don’twannatalkaboutit.
3. watch Brahms’ “Ein Deutsches Requiem” on iPlayer
4. do As little as possible.
5. listen to Brahms’ “Ein Deutsches Requiem” :laughing:

6) Make up your own Friday Five question and answer it.
Q. What genre of e-novel are you enjoying nowadays.
A Steampunk. Anyone know of any Welsh steampunk or SF books?

1 Like

“M. Hulot’s Holiday”

Mon Dieu! A fellow Jacques Tati fan - there can’t be many of us. :laughing:

2 Likes

If that’s self-imposed, then good luck!
If it’s not, then even more good wishes!

1 Like

It’s self-imposed but thanks. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Literally everything can move me to tears in either sad or happy way if the occassion or happening is the “right” one. And, I don’t remember when it was the last time though.

“… you could burts”? Sorry @CatrinLliarJones I don’t understand this one and I couldn’t find it in any word book.

But, yes, I was that proud watching my son marching down the streets of my birth city Kranj in May when he graduated from middle school.

First on the right. (author Miran Kozmus, photo officially published here)

And when he’s got winning award for the first place at the national math competition in the category of technical schools.

In the middle (in black with glasses). (Author Jana Jocif. The photo is officially published on "DMFA Slovenia webpage here.)

• Let the festival always cruise across the country just like it did before
  • Competitions should ALWAYS be only in Welsh because the aim of the festival (as I see it) is to promote Welsh language and Wales in general (and I’ve heard some moaning last year about allowing competitions to be mix or English too).
  • If there’s no way (what I think is more or less true) for one from another country than Wales to win competitions like Disgwr y flywddyn is, why not enabling a category or separate competition where learners from allover the World could really participate and have the chances to win prizes. Maybe in this category the things like how much you contributed to Welsh language shold be excluded as some of us actually have no way to contribute in any other way than spread the word and learn/speak it by ourselves. (sorry if I step on slippery teritory here)
  • There’s no fourth suggestion though …

Nowhere at the moment. I’m just happy to be at home … In distant (or not so distant future though), to Wales one more time …

No questions …

3 Likes

I think “burts” is a typo for “burst”. :smile: Do you have an equivalent expression in Slovenian for “I am bursting with pride” ?
Come to think of it, I don’t know how to say it in Welsh either. Google offers “Dwi’n byrstio gyda balchder” :smile:
Nice photos of your son, by the way. :smile:

1 Like

GPC agrees with byrstio, or alternatively: Bystio, which suites my accent better.

Interestingly, Y Wenhwyseg word (phrase) of the day for today has: Ar dorri for full to bursting

1 Like

It would be “Razganja me od ponosa.” but more often we use very common phrase “Zelo sem ponosna.” (I’m very proud).

So don’t I.

thank you very much. I’d post my own photos of him, but I just couldn’t come close enough to get a clear shot. I’ve recorded a video of the whole “parade” in which somewhere in the middle he appears. In that video there is also the many years Guinness record winning Quadrille on the streets of Slovenian city happening in Kranj right after the graduation parade also but in this my son didn’t participate though. However, if it’s of anybody’s interest, the video is here

My son’s school was the first to march on the scene as you can/could see in the video.
All video shots, photos, music played as intro and autro and video montage is my own work so in some eyes it might not look too proffessional though but it provides a great throw back time which will be even more valuable for all in our family through the years. And yes, we both, my husband and I are bursting with pride.

3 Likes