Pump am y Penwythnos / Friday Five 16/01/2020 5️⃣

Bore da ffrindiau annwyl. Good morning dear friends.

I had the immense pleasure of spending time in the warm company of some of you yesterday and it was great to have a catch-up, even under such sad circumstances. So today’s questions are all about meet-ups.

1) What’s the most unexpected and surprising meet-up you’ve ever had.

2) What’s the most fun you’ve had in the company of other Welsh speakers/learners?

3) If I was to give you the reins for the nest big SSiW party, what would you organise?

4) Have you ever met any Welsh celebrities? If not, who would you like to meet?

5) Make up your own ‘meet-up’ related question and answer it.

Have a great weekend! :slight_smile:

1. What’s the most unexpected and surprising meet-up you’ve ever had.
    I dropped into the Llanelli meet up a couple of weeks ago,unannounced, to surprise them! But I met up with an old friend last week to discover his wife was a Welsh speaker and was desparate to use her Welsh again

2. What’s the most fun you’ve had in the company of other Welsh speakers/learners?

Last year I travelled to Carcassonne with a group of rugby fans many of who were in a Welsh Male Voice Choir. We had such a laugh.

1. If I was to give you the reins for the nest big SSiW party, what would you organise?
    It would definitely include lots of Welsh music; top of the list would be Gruff Rhys,HMS Morris and Cynefin

2. Have you ever met any Welsh celebrities? If not, who would you like to meet?
    I met Rhys Ifans in Ruthin Rugby Club once. Not so much celebrities but I’ve met all the Wales Rugby League team on a few occassions. I think I’d enjoy a night out with Rhys Mwyn!

3. Make up your own ‘meet-up’ related question and answer it.
    Would you recommend going to a meet up and why?
    I definitely would. I am so grateful for the people who have helped me at meet ups in Saith Seren Wrexham, but also in Cardiff Eisteddfod, Shrewsbury, Llanelli, Mold and Caernarfon. Its great to meet up and use Welsh is a supportive environment

1 Like

I’m reviving this Friday five for this Friday the 24th as well, rather than posting new questions as it needs to be fattened up a bit with answers… :wink:

1) What’s the most unexpected and surprising meet-up you’ve ever had.

Last Wednesday at the Plygain in Cardiff someone asked me if I was Margaret Nock. I last remember seeing @ali in 2015 when I went to Mochyn Du a couple of times

2) What’s the most fun you’ve had in the company of other Welsh speakers/learners?

Bwtcamp. Several times.

3) If I was to give you the reins for the nest big SSiW party, what would you organise?

Guilt free week on a Mediterranean island. We all get there easily and fossil fuel free, and everyone speaks Welsh. History. Warm seas. Great food. Perhaps a murder mystery evening as well.

4) Have you ever met any Welsh celebrities? If not, who would you like to meet?

Aneurin Karadog. He was searching for his friend’s lost dog in Pontyberem. During the search he met Hashim, my Syrian friend, who he also knows, who invited him to his house, where I was visiting his family. I was awestruck. “But you’re famous!” was whizzing around my head, although I didn’t say it. To this day I don’t think they know how famous he is.

5) Make up your own ‘meet-up’ related question and answer it.

What’s the most interesting place you have used your Welsh?

Ljubljana, Vitebsk, Kochi. The SSIW world is very friendly.

1 Like

Ironically, at the Cardiff National Eisteddfod, Aneurin Karadog came up to me and said (in Welsh, obvs) “You’re the one from Builth whose daughter is a poet, aren’t you?” :slight_smile:

Pawb yn nabod ei gilydd as they say!

3 Likes

I hope you Mediterranean island has hills to walk and cycle up!

Wrth gwrs! Gyda chestyll hefyd,
Of course, with castles as well. For the history.
:slightly_smiling_face::upside_down_face: