Pump am y Penwythnos / Friday five - 19/05/17

Bore da! How are you all today? Another weekend is upon us and the weather is gradually improving. Hope you all have a wonderful penwythnos!

1. As you may have seen, I’m trying to organise a weekend of gardening in Welsh at our home. If you were to gather together a group of friends for a weekend of activity, what would that activity be ?

2. I’m so excited! At last the whole of the sewage system in the chalet is connected and up and running! I’ve never been so happy to be able to flush a toilet! What simple pleasure is making you happy today?

3. I’m kind of itching to have voice coach, singing lessons at the moment. I think it would be both fun and therapeutic. If you could enrol in new lessons, what would they be?

4. You are invited to a summer barbecue and are being asked to bring with you three things, one food item, one drink and one ‘something else’. What would you bring to the barbecue?

5. What’s your all time favourite movie? Convince us why it’s the best!

3 Likes

If you were to gather together a group of friends for a weekend of activity, what would that activity be?

My first thought was reading, and then I realised I’d need to send the whole group away so that I could have peace and quiet.

The most enjoyable thing I’ve ever done that actually required teams was probably polocrosse.

What simple pleasure is making you happy today?

Looking forward to breakfast, in about ten minutes or so… :slight_smile:

If you could enrol in new lessons, what would they be?

Cooking or guitar or sailing (I’m taking languages for granted here - waiting for some new SSi courses on that front).

You are invited to a summer barbecue and are being asked to bring with you three things, one food item, one drink and one ‘something else’. What would you bring to the barbecue?

Avocados. Grenadine. A giant beanbag.

What’s your all time favourite movie? Convince us why it’s the best!

Favourites schmavourites. The best film of all time is ‘Apocalypse Now’. Well-known fact.

1 Like

Or the Welsh/Wenglish version - ‘Apocalypse Now-in-a-minute’

6 Likes

Bore da! How are you all today?
Dim rhy ddrwg, diolch. Beth amdana ti?

If you were to gather together a group of friends for a weekend of activity, what would that activity be ?
A murder-mystery weekend with an actual murder. :smiling_imp:

Helping M look after her mother who is recovering nicely from a nasty fall/fracture.

Taking voice lessons from @CatrinLliarJones

one food item, one drink and one ‘something else’. What would you bring to the barbecue?
A banana (wrap in foil and bbq till the skin turns black then serve with icecream - mmmmmmmmm :smile: )
Does a case of Marston’s Pedigree count as one drink?
Hickory chips to sprinkle on bbq coals to give meat a lovely smoky flavour

Blues Brothers (the original) - you surely don’t need convincing.

5 Likes

Grown-ups might like to add a splash of Brandy - takes it to a whole new level! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

[quote=“catrinlliarjones, post:1, topic:8264, full:true”]
Bore da! How are you all today?[/quote]
Iawn diolch.

1. If you were to gather together a group of friends for a weekend of activity, what would that activity be ?
    I keep on meaning to travel on the narrow guage railways in Wales in honour of my friend. It was on her bucket list but she never got to do it. With a car, and a bank holiday weekend we might be able to do most of them.

2. What simple pleasure is making you happy today?
    At home I would say listening to Radio 4. If I had to choose between my OU degree and my lifetime of Radio 4 then R4 would win. But as I’m here and while it is possible to get R4 it’s not easy then I would say swimming. Now school has started again there are far fewer other swimmers.

3. If you could enrol in new lessons, what would they be?
    Cooking. Perhaps if I knew how to do it I would enjoy it more

4. What would you bring to the barbecue?
    Corn on the cob, butter, wrapped in tin foil
    Freshly squeezed orange juice.
    Calan for live music.

5. What’s your all time favourite movie!
    Don’t laugh. I love Babe. Determination. Loyalty. Quick Thinking. Love.

6 Likes

I don’t really like to talk about “favourite” or “best”, since these things are so subjective and variable, but one which I will watch from time to time (among several other favourites) is

“Brief Encounter”.

Why? Well, the music, for one thing:

3 Likes

You may have your work cut out here, Huw. I’ve been lobbying Catrin on this front for some years now - eager to see The Blues Brothers given its rightful place in the official top 5 - but my efforts have, let us say, not been particularly successful…

[And no, before you try, apparently quoting extended sections of it by heart doesn’t help much.]

3 Likes

How are you all today?
Not too shabby at all.

If you were to gather together a group of friends for a weekend of activity, what would that activity be?
Getting on the Eurostar and just seeing how many countries you could potentially get to, by rail over a weekend.

Aberystwyth is boiling hot today!

I’m starting to feel the language itch now, and I’m tempted to try out starting a completely new language and going on a “mad one” for a week - to see how far I could get.

What would you bring to the barbecue?
I’m a boring vegetarian, so it would have to be a load of Quorn burgers.

What’s your all time favourite movie!
Mean Girls. I am of that age.

2 Likes
  1. If you were to gather together a group of friends for a weekend of activity, what would that activity be ?

Sitting or strolling around a place of interest, I really enjoyed the party weekend and made some really good new friends. That again x50.

1. What simple pleasure is making you happy today?

Knowing that my kids have slept well last night after a long day in Magic Kingdom.

1. If you could enrol in new lessons, what would they be?

That’s a toughy, I don’t really want to do anything I don’t already do. Maybe I’m being shallow but if I want to do something I usually teach myself, that’s why SSiW worked so well with me I think. Although you guys created the lessons it’s up to us to press play.

1. You are invited to a summer barbecue. What would you bring to the barbecue?

First of all, when is this barbecue? A big bowl of pasta or salad, a big bottle of Brecon Carreg and my cajon in the hope that someone has a guitar and a voice. Music isn’t always welcome at a party but if it’s going to happen I want in.

1. What’s your all time favourite movie? Convince us why it’s the best!

When Harry met Sally, no need to convince anyone, I like it, so tough.

ETA. I don’t know what happened with them numbers but there you go. (I don’t want to know either.)

4 Likes

One of those weekend festivals that don’t seem to be happening this year - Gŵyl Gwydir, Gŵyl Gardd Goll, Crug Mawr, something like that.
2. What simple pleasure is making you happy today?
Listening to loud 70s dub reggae in an empty office. The speakers could do with a touch more bass, mind. When the sun comes out it reminds me of hot summer afternoons in Lewisham with everyone out on the street and chatting to each other.
3. If you could enrol in new lessons, what would they be?
One day I’m going to make up for failing my French O Level by taking a GCSE and getting at least a B. One day.
4. What would you bring to the barbecue?
Thick slices of aubergine marinated in olive oil and Italian herbs. Czech beer. Dub reggae.
5. What’s your all time favourite movie? Convince us why it’s the best!
I’m not really fond enough of films either as art or entertainment to have a favourite. I like the innocent fun of a Hard Day’s Night, though.

6 Likes

Trip on the Welsh Highland Railway followed by a pint in the pub.[quote=“catrinlliarjones, post:1, topic:8264”]
[/quote]

We are having a ‘picnic tea’, everyone is home and we are watching a film together.

Learn to drive a Steam Engine

Pear Cider
American Mustard
Favourite Music

Return of the Jedi… don’t feel the need to do the convincing, it speaks for itself!

2 Likes

apparently quoting extended sections of it by heart doesn’t help much.]

How about if my son and I do that for her in stereo - I can’t tell you how much Maureen enjoys that. :laughing:

2 Likes

I think we’ve just worked out one of the activities for the 10th birthday party…:wink:

2 Likes

As you may have seen, I’m trying to organise a weekend of gardening in Welsh at our home. If you were to gather together a group of friends for a weekend of activity, what would that activity be ?

I really love a good walk up a mountain. I think a combination of the outdoors, the views, the difficulty and the chance to talk all builds to a great camaraderie. Now “difficulty” is relative and I don’t feel this has to be a Matterhorn type expedition.

I’m so excited! At last the whole of the sewage system in the chalet is connected and up and running! I’ve never been so happy to be able to flush a toilet! What simple pleasure is making you happy today?

I really had a sense of settling into my new job today. Simply because I was asked to supervise a situation. Was very minor but they came to me which was a boost :slight_smile:

I’m kind of itching to have voice coach, singing lessons at the moment. I think it would be both fun and therapeutic. If you could enrol in new lessons, what would they be?

I’m loving singing lessons at the moment

You are invited to a summer barbecue and are being asked to bring with you three things, one food item, one drink and one ‘something else’. What would you bring to the barbecue?

food - My sister-in-law’s Russian style beetroot, garlic and apple coleslaw
Drink - I’m a beer man. However, I do love a good gin too. So I’d probably look for a nice gin
‘Something else’ - a game of Molkki - I think it may be a Finnish game (@Novem?) but it’s a really fun lawn game which involves throwing wood at wood.

This is such a hard question. Remember the Titans never fails to entertain me. I enjoy American Football (normally just the highlights), the MoTown soundtrack with a mix of things like Norman Greenbaum is a winner. It’s a cheesy feel good film but set to the background of desegregation. Plus it’s based on a true story! I love the underlining message of the ability for respect to cut through prejudice…sorry got a bit heavy there!!
On an almost identical footing is Forrest Gump.

1 Like

My all time favourite film was the 1967 Russian movie version of War and Peace. It was shown in two halves because it was too long for one showing. It was Tolstoy’s vision. It was magnificent!

Yup! Mölkky :smile: :sunny:

1 Like

It’s a great game!!! My friends here in Cardiff found out about it and we always play when we’re at the park!

1 Like

My Mum grew up in Streatham and my Dad in Camberwell, so not a million miles from you!

Noswaith dda. I’m OK thank you. A bit thoughtful but OK. Hope you’re OK too. :slight_smile:

Visiting places trying to get the best photos of what’s around us (what is a bit impossible with my camera, but anyway). Evenings should be dedicated to music …

Just to finally come home and throw my “work” clothes off me putting on something more comfortable and get a big pot of coffee is just perfectly enough.

Firedancing, CGI and animation, guitar, figureskating, dancing, singing and how to lead a BIG group of performers so I could finally fulfill my youth dreams about leading a massive group of 1000 performers who’d constantly touring around the world doing all kinds of (impossible) performances. However this should include a course of how to become young and not clumsy again … of course languages are taken for granted here without saying. :slight_smile: (oh, did I mention that I’d like to be techy geek too???) :slight_smile:

Ahhh … “roštiljada”.
Food - čevapčiči (you don’t have them there)
Drink: Beer (for puring it on meat so it gets really nice flavor and smell … mmmmm … Of course for drinking too. It suits the most to such kind of food (for my taste).
Other: charcoal. It has to be charcoal to grill meat on … other doesn’t do for me (us).

Still sticking with Gladiator with Russell Crow altnough there are a lot of good movies and going into pondering my thoughts I would not be able to make my mind … maybe … does anyone remember first in series of two movies “Les Sous-Doues Passent Le Bac” (I don’t know what English translation of the title was though)? It was a comedy which I saw only once and never ever again and I have it in good memory of laughing to almost every single scene in it. :slight_smile:

Here’s the clip, but sorry, couldn’t find something with subtitles. There are exams and it’s shown how some “organized” some “help” to pass them. :slight_smile:

2 Likes