Pump am y Penwythnos /Friday Five 23/05/2020 5️⃣

Bore da all, sorry I missed posting yesterday!

1) Who’s the first friend you made in the SSiW community?

2) Tell us the story of how you became a part of SSiW?

3) If you were to receive any gift/award/accolade for your success in learning a new langue what would you choose?

4) Name five random items you can see from where your sitting?

5) If SSiW were to insist that everyone using the forum had to include a short description of themselves in their profile, what would yours say about you?

Have a happy weekend! :grin:

1 Like

I think the first person I spoke to on arrival in Tresaith for the very first Bootcamp was Aran, but in a very short time I made freinds with 7 “magnificent” participants and the “Fab Four” plus their offspring.
I had been trying to learn my mother’s tongue since I retired through a combination of evening classes and intensive summer courses, all of which were worth doing. I was immediately attracted by the SSiW method and soon found that my learning stuck and my confidence to initiate conversations rose rapidly. (Diolch o galon unwaith eto)
3) If you were to receive any gift/award/accolade for your success in learning a new langue what would you choose?
I’ve already won an oscar at a party in Caernarfon (which is on my bedside table) and a cwtsh from the delectable Nia Parry. What else could any learner want?
My wife, my granddaughter, Pili (the one year old kitten (today)) (his sister is out killing stuff) and two of my peonies that M has cut this morning.

5) If SSiW were to insist that everyone using the forum had to include a short description of themselves in their profile, what would yours say about you?
Devastating looking, intelligent, multi-talented and, above all, modest.

3 Likes

[. quote=“catrinlliarjones, post:1, topic:26480, full:true”]
Bore da all, sorry I missed posting yesterday!

You know, I really can’t remember. 18 out of my 95 FB friends are on SSIW. I’ve been to enough bwtcampiau to not really know who I met when. And then there are others who I know, who aren’t on FB. If I had to choose one, and please, nobody be offended, I would say the lovely @tatjana is the staunchest SSIW friend I have. Over the years I’ve had 10 SSIWers, at least, in the house, for food or an overnight stay.

September 2009 I was in a 4 day residential Welsh course in Glan y Fferi, Fferyside, Carmarthenshire. I’d been the year previously but had attended daily, but this timeI chose to stay to make a small holiday of it. Another of the four residential students told me about SSIW snd gave me a card. He was an ‘early adopter’ and a retired language teacher and had already disagreed with how SSIW was run. I never met him again. I might have registered with SSIW when I got home from the course, but I don’t think I actually started learning with @Iestyn and @Cat. Three months later and I broke my leg. No work. No Welsh classes either. But, there was this online way of learning! I went to the third bootcamp held in the first year they ran, Junish, 2010.

Being mistaken for a native speaker. It’s occasionally happened, even if it only lasts for a minute or two. Even being mistaken for a Gog. You speak Welsh, but from somewhere else.

My mother, lying on the sofa, reading the Guardian.
Her quilts, hanging on the walls.
Two balls of yarn on circular knitting needles, waiting for me to get my head around lace knitting.
A pinboard with photographs of 6 generations of the family.
The bottom 7 inches off pyjamas which I cut off in order to make the PJs safer.

My motto is ‘Say yes, go first’. If you want to know more, ask me.
[/quote]

2 Likes

I remember introducing myself to Aran at the Llandow Eisteddfod in 2012 and have classed both him and his wife as good friends ever since. Through subsequent Eisteddfods, parties and bootcamps the list of real friends has grown exponentially.

2011, Wrecsam Eisteddfod, staggered into the SSiW tent for a bit of shade, got drawn into a conversation with Iestyn and before you know it I was downloading and completing lessons at an alarming rate.

The same as Marged above, getting mistaken for a native speaker is the highest accolade possible. I’m far from being a natural speaker but can do a reasonable impression of one and the dreaded word “learner” rarely crops up these days. Not that they think I’m not a learner but have the decency to not mention it. :man_shrugging:

Chocolate digestives.
Back to the Future DVD.
Wife.
Place mats from Llydaw.
Glass of beer.

Ex-drummer, ex-cyclist, ex-alotofthings.

1 Like

Probably @gruntius; when I went to Saith Seren for the first time after about 6 or 7 online lessons. He and several others looked after me and help me to try out a few phrases and keep coming back. Online I made lots of friends on the intensive 6months course by @Deborah-SSi and @nia.llywelyn were oth such a tremendous help.

I’d worked in Caernarfon over 20 years ago an had began to try to use Welsh regularly but didnt have the confidence. When my job moved back to Wrexham I didn’t use Welsh and began to forget what I’d learned. I had a message from an old friend encouraging me to try SSiW and loved it as soon as I started. I enrolled on the 6 months intensive and carried on into the ‘Deep End’. I eventually set myself a target of trying to cycle to the Eiseddfod inCardiff without speaking Welsh. Thats when the SSiW community really helped me; putting me up overnight meeting me in cafes and pubs along the way. A really unforgettable experience and I always be grateful for everyone who made my journey so memorable.

The award of speaking Welsh is truely enough for me.

Headphones
Dog
Salvador Dali clock
Map of Snowdonia
Sketch pad

The one who cycles everywhere and likes the ‘other’ code of rugby

3 Likes

The wonderful @sasha-lathrop!

I stumbled upon my first few Welsh words and sentences in a “Torchwood” novel nearly three years ago but they didn’t offer a translation in the book. Trying to translate it by myself with no knowledge of Welsh and just an online dictionary obviously failed, so I simply decided to learn Welsh to be able to translate it one day.
I found Duolingo and SSiW, started both and admittedly stuck to Duolingo throughout the last two taxing years due to professional school.
But having kept on learning Welsh for over two years made me realise two things: That I have fallen in love with this language and that I want to learn to speak it. Really speak it, not stuttering out mispronounced words and sentences out of a (virtual) school book.
So I came back to SSiW straight away, started that wonderful “word game”, joined the postcard club and am enjoying myself immensely! :blush:

I received so many gifts already: Meeting so many wonderful, kind, open-minded and funny people here and on Slack, time spent together at the hangouts, postcards,…
I would feel awful if I asked for more!

The crocheted plant one of my best friends made for me
My brother’s waistcoat with the loose button I still need to reattach
The plush toy dog which reminds me of my own late dog
My pencil cases with coloured crayons
All of my “Doctor Who” cups which don’t fit into the cupboard in the kitchen

Still waters run deep.

3 Likes

Urmmmm… well I guess lots at the same time when I joined the forum, unless I can count Aran and Catrin although technically I made friends with them before SSiW.

As usual with most things in my life, hap a damwain! - the door opened and I stuck my nose in for a shifty and been here ever since! :laughing:.

Nah - already gathered all the riches that go with learning a new language - friends, history, culture, opportunities, fun and a huge collection of grammar books!

a spare light bulb (on the desk that really should have gone back in the drawer months ago)
a photo of my dad, mum and brother
my work calendar
a huge stack of Welsh grammar books (see #3)
a dog having a nap on the floor

Likes lurking and googling. I don’t have all the answers but I know where to find a lot of them. :rofl:

3 Likes

huge collection of grammar books!

I knew we had a lot in common :laughing:

1 Like

I’m very late to the party, but I’ll say DIOLCH O GALON WELOD i ti @margaretnock! It is always a pleasure to meet you being in real life or online. The days you visited my little country Slovenia were magnificent. I’ll always be hugely grateful for everything you did for me from the first real conversation I had with you totally in Welsh all the way to taking care of me when I was on the way to Tresaith as I will always be endlessly grateful to your parents that I could stay overnight with them in London. You were one of those people who are constantly giving me the momentum to keep on going when there’s the danger I’d stop.

And of course, thank you for these kind words in deed.

Diolch!

3 Likes

I’d say probably Mark. Mark works for the RSPCB and has moved to North Pembs/Aberteifi. We met on bwtcamp in Tresaith. Great bunch that Bwtcamp lot!

I was told about SSiW by someone on our corporate induction in Merthyr. She was learning Welsh because her boyfriend is a Welsh speaker and I’d signed up to do an evening class. She said she thought it was great and, well, the rest is history

I won the award for Welsh language and Equality at the Cardiff and Vale Staff recognition Awards. I didn’t really learn Welsh for accolades though.

A florescent green sheep chew toy
A foot stool in the shape of a stool
A jellyatrics mug (old jelly babies)
A knitted teddy bear called Aneurin (has a twin called Bevan)
A knitted nurse

The last 4 all retirement presents for my mother-in-law.

Anthony moved to Cardiff to work as a physiotherapist with his then Welsh speaking girlfriend who is now his Welsh speaking wife. He still lives in Cardiff with his wife and son.

2 Likes