Pump am y Penwythnos / Friday Five 26/02/2021

Bore da bawb! Here are today’s questions! :smiley:

1) If you could spend a whole day fluently in another language apart from Welsh and your mother tongue, which language would that be and why?

2) We’ve recently worked our way through David Attenborough’s DYNASTIES series with the children, which was fascinating and moving. Following the Emperor Penguin episode, our son revealed that he would like to travel to Antarctica some day to see the animals in their natural habitat. If you could travel with Attenborough to any part of the world to study any animal in the wild, what would it be?

3) How will you be celebrating Dydd Gwyl Dewi / St David’s Day this year?

4) Name five Welsh musical artists you would send on a tour of the world to promote the Welsh language and culture.

5) Make up your own Friday Five question and answer it…

.[quote=“CatrinLliarJones, post:1, topic:31007, full:true”]
Bore da bawb! Here are today’s questions! :smiley:

1) If you could spend a whole day fluently in another language apart from Welsh and your mother tongue, which language would that be and why?

Arabic, so I could speak to my Syrian refugee friends without having to go through their daughter whose spoken English is pretty good.

2) We’ve recently worked our way through David Attenborough’s DYNASTIES series with the children, which was fascinating and moving. Following the Emperor Penguin episode, our son revealed that he would like to travel to Antarctica some day to see the animals in their natural habitat. If you could travel with Attenborough to any part of the world to study any animal in the wild, what would it be?

A few years ago I was looking on line for beekeepers in my village. I didn’t find one, but I did find a wildlife photographer. I thought that my somewhat unkempt garden is, if not as good as the Gobi desert, or the Antarctic, is still interesting in it’s own way, so I invited her to come and take photos here, for my husband’s birthday. Chickens, ducks, the dog, but also gooseberries, bees, flies. I’m sure there is a programme to be made just in my garden pond and David Attenborough is welcome here any time.

Beginning a virtual pilgrimage from St David’s Cathedral to Glasgow, 2 miles a day, to “arrive” in time for the COP 26 Climate Conference in November.

4) Name five Welsh musical artists you would send on a tour of the world to promote the Welsh language and culture.

Kizzy Crawford, Max Boyce, Calan, Dafydd Iwan, Bryn Terfyl.

When will I be able to spend the night under the same roof as my Dad?

No answer yet. But the National Express services are, probably, set to run from the end of March, so I’m hoping.
[/quote]

Thanks, Catrin!

I’d choose Danish, because I’d like to be able to wander around Copenhagen in the manner of all those fab Danish dramas which have been shown on the BBC and surprise Danish people by chatting to them in their own language. Plus spoken and written Danish seem to have parted company some while back so being able to speak it would feel like a huge achievement.

The gorillas in Africa. Ever since I saw Mr A in the midst of them I’ve wanted to do that.

By leaving the house for the first time in months And Actually Doing The Food Shop, which is very exciting at this point, trust me :rofl:

Cerys Matthews, Gwenno, Meinir Gwilym, Shirley Bassey and the Manics

Q: What did you always want as a child but never got?
A: A SodaStream

1 Like

I’d choose Danish, because I’d like to be able to wander around Copenhagen in the manner of all those fab Danish dramas which have been shown on the BBC and surprise Danish people by chatting to them in their own language. Plus spoken and written Danish seem to have parted company some while back so being able to speak it would feel like a huge achievement.

I spent a few hours in Copenhagen back in 2013, by accident (I was supposed to be on a train to Moscow!), with my nephew. As internet access was excellent my husband had managed to buy us tickets to leave Copenhagen that night so we managed to have a wonderful few hours there. The fact it was midsummers day only added to the joy of the day. It’s a beautiful place.

1 Like

It is indeed! My OH used to work there so I’ve visited before, but couldn’t say anything apart from mumbling ‘tak’ at people now and again :rofl: I love the fact that you visited ‘by accident’, though. Now there’s a story you need to tell, by the sounds of it!

We left Frankfurt, three hours late at 01.30, on a direct train to Moscow. When we got on we confirmed with the attendant that it was going to Moscow. The journey was supposed to take about 36 hours and we were supposed to arrive at about noon on the Saturday. In the morning, Friday, at about 10am, we asked the train attendant if we were likely to make up time on our journey because we had plans for our few hours in Moscow before getting on the TransMongolian train to Beijing that night, which we couldn’t do if the train was still late.

The response was ‘Oops, you should have changed trains in Hannover, at 5 am this morning!’ Well, no one had told us, because if they had, we would have changed trains in Hannover! Very fortunately there was a cheap flight to Moscow from Copenhagen that night, and we were a couple of hours from Copenhagen, and we ended up arriving in Moscow at about 4am, 8 hours earlier than planned. We also had about 7 hours in the Moscow Hilton.

So much for trying to get to Asia without flying.

I’m listening to a podcast series about Taoism at the moment, so I’d love to understand the original Chinese of Lao Tzu. However, I think if given a day to spend anyway most Taoists would say meditate and spend it doing what makes you happy. So maybe not Chinese.

I’d love to spend a day speaking Russian with my sister-in-law. Or French with my friend Florin.

I’d love to listen to lectures on Sioux history in the language of the Sioux. Same with Vietnamese, Japanese, Zulu, Xhosa, oh @CatrinLliarJones this one is too difficult!!! :weary:

I’d love to rig it so I could guarantee I’d follow a snow leopard through the Himalayas. Or swim for a year with a whale.

We got this beautiful picture from meithrin yesterday.

Gwilym
Calan
Bwncath
Yws Gwynedd
Bryn Fôn OMB

So sorry it’s taken me ages to reply - one of those weeks! Wow, that’s a brilliant story, and that sounds like an epic journey :open_mouth: We had a similar experience travelling back from Berlin by train many moons ago (ended up in Metz at 4am, don’t ask) but the TransMongolian to Beijing sounds like something out of Agatha Christie! Glad it all worked out in the end, anyway.

1 Like

I think I would choose a language that I’m not likely to learn or ever have any cause to use. I would like to know what Russian feels like on the tongue and I’d like to be able to speak Elvish with Aragorn… :wink:

I’ve spent time in Ghana, and though the place is rich with monkeys, birds, insects various other rodents and reptiles there are no great plains or large predators there. I would dearly love to spend time with my family exploring and even volunteering in one of Africa’s national parks.

We watched the rugby that weekend, with Welsh cider and hot, welsh beef sandwiches and filled the house with daffodils.

Anweledig, Kizzy Crawford, Band Pres Lareggub, Owen Shiers, Lleuwen, Yws Gwynedd, Gwilym, Meinir Gwilym, Steve Eaves, Mt Phormula… and many, many more… :wink:

1 Like