Pwy sy'n dysgu Cymraeg yn Sweden? (possible Swedish meet-up?)

S’mae!

I read about all these meet-ups all over the world, but I can’t find any plans for a meeting in Sweden. Wouldn’t it be nice to have a SSiW meeting here as well, or am I the only Swede trying to learn Welsh?
Dw i ddim yn siarad Cymraeg yn iawn eto, ond dw i isio 'marfer (taswn i’n medru ffeindio rhywun sy’n siarad Cymraeg dipyn bach).

Anyone interested?

1 Like

@Lena_P

(Finn here, but I talked to someone from Sweden a while ago so I’m tagging just in case :slight_smile:)

2 Likes

There was definitely another Swede doing fairly well at some point a while back…:slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh and also, if you can’t get a group together (or just want some extra practice), you can join us on WSP to chat online :smile:

https://www.saysomethingin.com/welsh/info/welsh-speaking-practice

Dw i’n byw yn Sweden a dysgu Cymraeg.

I live in Småland. Where do you live?

1 Like

@Novem Thanks for tagging me. :blush:

2 Likes

Found you in the Braw.media map, Lena!

I live 90 minutes west of you. :slight_smile: 30km NE of Ullared.

The map has definitely had a boost since I registered, because when I checked it this time there were 3 learners (You + me + Richard), one fluent speaker and two native speakers. (Only me and Richard were visible when I registered.) One of the native speakers lives in Kalmar, Richard lives in Hässleholm and the other two in Malmö - so if we could get in contact with them we might have something to start with.
I don’t mind driving a bit to get to a meetup.

2 Likes

Yes, Novem - I saw that topic when I checked the board, and I will most likely use it!

2 Likes

This is exciting! I’ll put a note in the next newsletter and see if we can rustle up a few more SSiWers in Sweden!

3 Likes

It certainly has had a boost since I last saw the map. There were hardly any arrows at all in Sweden then.

So there are two in Skåne. I have family living there so I go there a few times a year. I’m not very mobile otherwise, I’m afraid. For (…) reasons I am unable to venture very far from home most of the time. But let’s see how many are interested and where we could meet. It would be great to have a native speaker among us, as I would really love it if someone could correct my mistakes.

2 Likes

Shwmae!

I’m in Linköping :slight_smile: I’d love to have a meetup if anyone’s up by me. I’ve just started the 6 month course so my welsh isn’t fantastic quite yet.

4 Likes

Linköping is a bit of a blank spot at the map currently, but if you register (it’s free) it won’t be completely blank anymore.

No problem for me to go to Linköping, if we’d manage to do a meetup there.

How many would been needed for a useful meetup? 4? 10?

Thanks for letting me know. I’ve registered on the map! I’m also able to travel if needed (within reason :)).

I’m not sure how many would be needed, I’ve not gone to a language meetup before but I’m guessing around 4 - 5 at a minimum.

2 Likes

Any number, really - a pair can have a fantastically valuable one-on-one conversation, and every extra person makes it that bit more flexible and interesting (although one-to-one conversation is the gold standard for the best possible practice, really)… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I wish I knew we had some learners in Malmo! I’ve been there twice over the last 2 years!

3 Likes

I agree with Aran, I think two is a minimum. At least to start with. I’m nowhere near fluent so I would probably get confused and not be able to keep up if there were 10 of us meeting.

2 Likes

So perhaps we should start small, then?
Would it be possible for you to come down to the Växjö area, Jessica? I think the southbound train from Linköping stops in Alvesta, and I could easily pick you up at the station there (if we don’t decide to have the meetup in the station house).
Is there somewhere around where you live where we could be, Lena?

1 Like

Yeah.

I can go down to Växjö, no problem. Since I’ve just started on the 6 month course (this week is week 1 for me) maybe we should give it a few weeks before our first meeting so I can actually say more than just “dwi eisiau dysgu cymraeg achos dwi’n hoffi yr iaith gymraeg” or similar. What do you think? :slight_smile:

Good point, Jessica! :slight_smile:
Perhaps sometime in March might be a good start? That would give you enough time to get into Welsh, and it would be handy for me before doing the final exam on the university courses in Uppsala (internet based courses, thankfully :slight_smile: )

1 Like