Question from Gareth ap Alun - currently doing Level 1

6 Likes

7 Likes

Dw i’n dallt rwan. Diolch!

3 Likes

Listen to Allison Hulmes First sentence practice. by Allison #np on #SoundCloud

4 Likes

… and if I’d actually looked it up before posting, I would have realised that the answer is in Modern Welsh by Gareth King, section 490 in my 1996 reprint copy, under the heading “Indirect sentences - Verb other than present or perfect of Bod starts subordinate original”. Gareth explains that in the affirmative of this case the link work is “y”, or “yr” before a vowel. In the example I quoted in my recording the second part of the sentence starts with “liciwn”, which is not the present or perfect of “bod”, so the link word between the two parts of the sentence is “y”.

However, he does add that the “y” is often not heard in ordinary speech - so when speaking casually it probably isn’t a big deal anyway.

2 Likes

Ah, but if you’d looked it up, you wouldn’t have posted it as a spoken question - which you did extremely well - and the whole point of posting a spoken question is the act of doing it and hearing responses, regardless of what the actual question is!

2 Likes

Yes, that is very true. What is more, I must say that I found it much easier to ask a question which had really puzzled me rather than making one up just for the sake of practice. I’ll chalk it up as a double win - I got an answer to a real question and I got some speaking practice done!

1 Like

Very well done Allison! I understood everything you said so feel chuffed with myself too. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Diolch i ti!
I’m very slow, but will keep on keeping on :smirk:

1 Like

Good question @Gareth_ap_Alun - and what a great, clear recording you have sent! If that’s what you manage to come up with in Level 1, you’re really doing great!

2 Likes

Gwych - well done @allison-1! Very clear, good recording!

1 Like

Diolch i ti :blush:

1 Like

a fi! I think means, me too. :slightly_smiling_face: