Random Stwff

Also, strangely Ive never noticed this before on one of the chapels in Skewen:
ADDOLDY. For place of worship.

1 Like

In Bridgend, the office I work in is a small timber partitioned home made box. So, it didn’t seem too handy when I was told that four employees of a sister company needed to bunk in with me from now on. That was until they turned up, all talking Welsh and said no probs for us all to talk Welsh when we are in work. Not bad for Bridgend. :grinning:.

4 Likes

Just had an in depth discussion on environmental remediation. The young engineer changed to English at the point where he suspected the Welsh would be a bit too much for me, or parhsps he didnt know the words himself. Alas, I suspect the former.

2 Likes

Actually, joking apart. I’m just thinking of how fantastic it is that Iestyn, Cat, Aran and Catrin and All have got me so quickly to the point where I can actually chat to a 1st language speaker about every day things.

3 Likes

Just to say how much I loved my afternoon outing to Gwynedd yesterday. Just a work outing but so many kind local people took time out from their busy day to chat with me.

Any imagined North/South and New/First Language barriers seemed to dissolve. More than that, they served as conversation starters.

Also a massive thanks to SSiW and Southern friends for getting me to this point.

Hopefully an encouragement to all that if I can be helped to this point, then anyone can.

2 Likes

Just remembering what actually happened. The journey to Bangor was slow, following Swansea Jack site see-ers doing exactly the same journey. I Listened to Radio Cymru all the way up. I then decided to pop into Caernarfon Tesco’s for some sandwiches and forgot to change back to English - no problems. Then popped into the lab in Bangor - still no need for English. Then over to the Eisteddfod for a quick look. Obviously plenty of Welsh there, with the odd smattering of Glaswegian from one really helpful steward.

Gutted that I didn’t notice Gareth Wyn Jones the TV farmer squeezing past me on the bridge, until it was too late. But I did tweet him in Welsh the next day to check :grinning:

1 Like

Working near Gloucester/Caer Wrangon now. Theres a few stray Welsh signs and plenty of Welsh Workers on the site. Had a chat with someone from Ceredigion.

1 Like

Better pic

Gloucester - Caerloyw
Caerwrangon - Worcester
:wink:

1 Like

Ah yeah, thats where I am, Worcester :grin:. Check out the Welsh flag on the rotavator

3 Likes

High level llyn y mynedd (mountain pool/tarn) on mynedd Drumau.

Looking down to Afon Nedd and Castell Nedd (Neath)

A couple of pics from my walk up Mynydd Drumau this afternoon. The hill behind our house. Busyness (or excuses) have got in the way of me making this half hour walk from my garden for the last twenty years :frowning:

2 Likes

Capel Gellionnen, on top of Mynydd Gellionnen, Cwmtawe.
I think Gelli Onnen would translate as Ash Grove.

Lockdown Welsh

Stage and Platform are both Llwyfan by the look of it.
Also this has the makings of a nice SSiW style extended sentence :smiley:

2 Likes

Schools seem to be back today lots of Chelsea tractors dropping off kids :smiley: Drivers all very polite though and waving respectfully as I nervously squeezed past in shiny hire van.

Gutted, when I got through the jam though, that It hadn’t twigged that it was the Ysgol Gymraeg. I could have asked a few parents how old their kids are are if they are a real handful or just lively. Perhaps not, though. They seemed nervous enough :wink:

4 Likes

Nadolig Llawen i bawb
Merry Christmas, Everyone!!

(This was the pic of Bethlehem, Carmarthenshire that I was looking for recently)

5 Likes

I’m bumping in to more and more related words now so going to move over to my Random Stwff topic now to keep this thread clear and head-ache friendly :smiley:
Random Stwff - Welsh / General / Questions - SSi Forum (saysomethingin.com)

Moved over to this topic to save giving massive headaches to all and sundry :slight_smile:

How strange. I’m bumping into more and more of these interesting verb endings now.

A friend commented on his FB, thus:
“ddim hyd y gwyddwn i” . I think it meant “Not as far as I know”, although the tense seems slightly flexible.

So then I searched on “Gwyddwn”. Clicked on the following link and then within the Wictionary entry, I clicked in the [show] button, to the right of the heading “Conjugation”. A whole array of endings including some hypothetical ones came up. Ouch!
gwybod - Wiktionary

Very sad that our village was flooded today.
Not sure how S4C tracked me down, but pleased that they asked me to be interviewed. Should be on S4C news 7:30 pm

5 Likes

Stay safe mate

This is great news https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jan/24/duolingo-app-partners-welsh-language-centre-help-reach-goal-1-million-speakers?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

1 Like