Random Stwff

Sneak preview of Cardiff Eisteddfod Maes B venue

1 Like

For anyone interested in Cumbric-
I have just come across the beginnings of a nice website:
http://cumbric.org/

1 Like

Just something I came across relating to certain language types. It made me think of the Welsh short present/future forms. Hopefully it might be of interest.

Here’s one for those of us that like shortened stuff. Somone being interviewed on the radio came out with " Dwi wedi" for “yes , I did”. That was the entire answer. Hard work for the intetviewer, but pretty cool all the same.

I wonder if you could get away with just "Dwi 'di. '. :thinking:

You could, yes - it probably wouldn’t be the only thing someone would say, because it just sounds a bit unbalanced, but it’d be understood.

2 Likes

**Huw Stephens of the BBC in Swansea town and Ty Tawe :slight_smile: **
This has just come up on my social media feed. I hope ok to post here.

I wasn’t aware of that this was going to be transmitted when I popped in on Saturday. However, I did get a lovely welcome and they were full of praise for SSiW.

As I say, I hope ok to post. Its in Welsh with a smidgeon of Swansea slang but ok to listen to, even if only for a bit of Southern listening practice.

1 Like

Just clarifying. BBC werent there when I was . I was saying that Ty Tawe were praising SSiW :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Here’s a pic from work today. It’s not very clear, but it says “ADFER” .
It seems sort of ok, but I’m not sure if it is the right sort of recovery. Having said that, I could be overthinking it, as even Recovery seems a bit jargony. Usually it’s Achub for rescue.

Here’s another; just for the view. I’m suggesting: Rhan o hen fforddbont for part of an old viaduct.

Pwll y Pant gwaithffordd, Caerfili/,Pwll y Pant Roadworks, Caerphilly :grin:

Uploading…
Also learning some stuff from the bilingual mobile information sign. It keeps changing its message every two seconds :slightly_frowning_face:. Also every bus stop sign has a different translation: Safle/Arosfan/Stop Bws

t took me a while to figure this one out. At 1:30 minutes into this Radio Cymru John Hardy programme the archive speaker mentions a stray wartime bomb landing on the Llandarcy Refinery. I’m pretty sure that I can hear “Gwai(th) Olew, Sgiwen” for Skewen Oil Works. I only sussed it because I can see it from my window.

1 Like

I’m putting this one in here because its slightly self-indulgent; ok, very :slight_smile:
My birthplace: Dilston in Northumberland, next to a stream now known as Devil’s Water. A bit creepy, but I’ve just found this in the Celtic Place names etymology thingy:
Under the heading of Glais for stream it has Devils Water, Northumberland: Du-s with an umlout over the “u”. So I’m taking that as Dulais. How cool is that?

Also, is it just me, or is it normal to say the S Walian Dulais with a N Walian U? Sort of U/I rather than the normal ee in Du, if you get my drift.

2 Likes

Today I’m in Dafen. Sorry about the roadworks :rage: Apparently from Dafan = Place of tame animals/cattle. A 19th c industrial village. I’ve just seen Dorothy Squire’s teraced house. Blue plaque spondored by Sir Roger Moore. :nerd_face:

Still in Dafen. Lurking outside of this Chapel trying to catch conversations. TBH i’m not catching a word even though most of it sounds English :thinking:

1 Like

For anyone interested in recent Welsh history. I noticed this on the web. I haven’t seen the actual book, but “Elizabeth” is Elizabeth Hopkin, mother of folk singer Mary Hopkin. I’m guessing that the text is in English

Then the Sirens Sounded
Elizabeth’s paintings and text evoke life in the Swansea Valley during the Twenties and Thirties. Stories tell of the annual carnivals, miners’ strikes, cinema queues, Josef Herman, the making of the Silent Village by Humphrey Jennings, and the visiting Romanies. The paintings bring to life these special decades between the two World Wars when life could be traumatic and romantic.

1 Like

Slightly off-topic, but what a pleasant surprise to put the news on and unexpectedly see Cat on there. :slight_smile:

1 Like

A couple of Celticisms in English Ive just come across.

In Wales - Months expressed using word month - Month of October for Octobet/Mis Hydref.

In Northumberland - one of my family members using dialect ,- question - Did you take the dog out “-. Full negative answer welsh style. - Na, I didn’t take the dog out” instead of just “No”,

O dan y Ffordd y Brenin Abertawe/Under the Swansea Kingsway :grimacing:. I didnt realise that the buildings were so deep.

1 Like

@Nicky I though t you’d like this. Swansea today. Also I heard a couple of families chatting in Welsh in the street. I had to stop myself from joining in.

1 Like

Ffordd newydd. Lon Pump Filtir, Y Barri.
New road - 5 Mile Lane, Barry.

1 Like