Reading a book

Hi all, I’m a newbie on here and got to session 11 and lived to tell the tale! I’m loving it!
I want to be able to read a Welsh book, not too hard, but don’t know where to start.

Any thoughts. I’m not proud about children’s books, if that’s what I need. Don’t know where to start.

Thanks

2 Likes

You might try the “Nofelau Nawr” series of books. They are quite short, and specifically designed for adult learners. On most pages there are some words given at the bottom, and the idea is that with the small amount of help you are given, and with what you know already, you can work out other unknown words from context (or if all else fails, look them up, of course).

If you are learning the northern flavour of Welsh, you might try the Blodwen Jones trilogy, by Bethan Gwanas.

However, there are several southern flavour books in the Nofelau Nawr series that I’ve come across, e.g. “Beth Nesa” by Gwen Redvers Jones, and “Gwendolin Pari, P.I.” by Meleri Wyn James.

If you live in the UK, you can often find these on Amazon Marketplace very cheap, although they are also quite cheap new in any case.

The language in this series of books is essentially colloquial Welsh, as taught by SSiW, and not what is normally thought of as formal written Welsh, However, you will probably notice a few small differences (other than north vs south) between what’s written in the books and what you are used to hearing on SSiW. You’ll soon get used to it though.

Pob Hwyl. :wink:

3 Likes

Shwmae Amanda, a chroeso i’r fforwm!

I would suggest “E-ffrindiau” by Lois Arnold. It’s written in the form of e-mails sent betweeen 2 Welsh learners - one living in South Wales and the other in Australia. The language throughout the book is graduated, so as the story progresses the vocabulary and syntax develops and becomes more complicated. The English for new vocabulary appears at the bottom of the page as they are introduced. There are other books available which use this method of writing aimed at learners wishing to be able to read Welsh, but this one is a great book to start with if you want to start with a more grown-up book!
Gav :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hello @amandaglamville

I started with “Cwm Gwrachod” and “Coed y Brenin” by Colin Jones. They are obviously written for learners on his own course, but I found the stories enjoyable. What happened to Dafydd? And is there a body in the wood?

Now I am moving on to Blodwen Jones, as mentioned by mikeellwood. I have “Sgŵp!” and “Cysgod yn y Coed” by Lois Arnold lined up to try next. I also have “Deg Chwedl o Gymru” by Meinir Wyn Edwards, for some traditional stories.

It’s slow going at the moment because I have to look a lot of words up, otherwise I quickly get totally lost. I am not yet at the stage of guessing meanings from the context, though that should come. It gives a real sense of achievement though.

Enjoy yourself!

Sue

4 Likes

Hi Amanda, and a very warm welcome to the forum! Congratulations on getting through the first 10 - that’s a very significant achievement… :star: :star2:

1 Like

Second vote for e-Ffrindiau - because the characters IN it are are learning, their language gets gradually more complex throughout the story - it’s quite clever really.

3 Likes

Have you tried the Ar Ben Ffordd series. They are short pieces with a glossary after each section. I can’t tell you how excited I was to understand a joke in Welsh for the first time. I can also recommend Scwp by Lois Arnold. Slow going at first for me but very rewarding. I order books from Y Lolfa website.

4 Likes

I found these very useful!

2 Likes

Good afternoon Amanda, I have been learning Welsh for years, but ,what I most enjoy and find the easiest is reading Welsh ( I can move at my own pace). There are loads of books available for Welsh learners, but I will recommend one which is’e-ffrindiau’ by Lois Arnold. What makes this book special is the way it is written. The two characters are conversing via e-mail, so the conversations are real and they have a thread from one to the other, as if talking to each other. The book also starts at ‘entry’ level Welsh and moves along until you arrive at something like intermediate Welsh, by which time you are into the characters and their families. The book also provides the vocabulary.

1 Like