Receiving S4C and Radio Cymru outside Wales in the UK

Time passes, one might expect improvement but it sounds like Gower where we got everything clear as a bell from North Devon and, to watch S4C or listen to Radio Cymru, you had to go to North Devon!

2 Likes

Is your mobile phone signal reasonably good? You could stream Radio Cymru via the tunein app on your phone, possibly thence to your car sound system via bluetooth?

1 Like

good idea. Canā€™t really do that yet though - will have to upgrade my phone account, because ran out of data allowance last week, with ten days to go and car radio isnā€™t up to it - also new car is a few years away i think. When Iā€™m rich, Iā€™ll probably do it though. One day hopefully, but being a fluent Welsh speaker is probably a more achievable goal in the short term.

2 Likes

ā€¦is pricelessā€¦

2 Likes

Listening to Radio Cymru FM quite clearly sat here in my car in Bamber Bridge, Preston. Not as far from Wales as Belper in Derbyshire, but quite impressive I think.

1 Like

Back in terrestrial days, I could pick up S4C in Manchester. You had to have your antennae (remember them) pointed the right way!
I also used to get Radio Wales in London (on MW with a choddy aerial mind)
This digital stuff is rubbish!

In case anyone is unaware of it, S4C in-UK-but-outside-Wales can be found on

Virgin TV ā€“ 166
Freesat - 120
Sky ā€“ 134
and online on the S4C website
:slight_smile:
ā€¦ but unfortunately not on Freeview
:disappointed:

1 Like

And Radio Cymru via WiFi, BBC Media Player is available in China. Just donā€™t try to write on the forum at the same time with only 3 bars of WiFi available.

1 Like

Perhaps Chromecast would be useful to anyone who has a smartphone but would rather watch S4C on TV?

1 Like

Easier said than done. The S4C app doesnā€™t support chromecast yet (it was last updated on Android in 2015). Technically you should be able to cast via the Chrome browser on your phone to your chromecast but Iā€™m not sure itā€™s possible in the same way as with a pc browser. Then thereā€™s the possible way of just casting your phone screen to your chromecast, but this involves leaving your screen on all the while you are casting, or you lose the picture.

1 Like

Interesting considerations @Colin Dale. I havenā€™t much interest in using one myself. Just put the thought out there since I donā€™t think that it had been mentioned and may be useful to some who have reception problems. Iā€™m quite happy to watch programmes on my phone.

2 Likes

Chromecast works with the BBC iPlayer app which AFAIK carries S4C.

1 Like

I didnā€™t know about this. Thanks @robbruce.

1 Like

Iā€™m in Manchester, on digital TV. When I programme my TV I have to choose an area manually, and then it shows me those channels, and it doesnā€™t seem to police the area I choose! So if I select Wales as my area I get S4C in Channel 4ā€™s place and BBC One Wales etc etc. Might be worth a try!

3 Likes

Shwmae Rachel!
When youā€™re programming your TV, is this for Freeview? I should imagine with Freeview you are restricted to whatever is being broadcast from your local transmitter. I canā€™t speak for YouView as Iā€™ve never used them, but I have Freesat, which does ask for your postcode - sooo, even though you can get S4C on Freesat anyways, you can determine whether the channel appears at 120 or 104 without it being policed.
But YouView, I know you can only receive S4C if you live in Wales. Although if the location is user defined, that will be interesting to find outā€¦ :thinking:

1 Like

This is freeview, using the TVā€™s built in system. If it finds a new channel or a change itā€™ll ask for permission to retune, or I can manually start a retune. Then itā€™ll ask for my location, I flick between England - North West and Wales, depending on whether I particularly want local news at the time.

If I select Wales it just programmes as if I was in Wales, with S4C in place channel 4. If I pick North West I also get a Manchester specific channel on 6.

Itā€™s an LG TV if that makes a difference?

2 Likes

I have made the assumption that her local transmitter is Winter Hill (This covers most of the flat areas of north west England i.e. Lancashire plain, Merseyside, Manchester). Looking at which channels are transmitted on freeview by Winter Hill, S4C isnā€™t among them.

I found this online:

ā€œif you are west of Manchester, you may be able to receive the channel from the Moel-Y-Parc transmitterā€

Are you in the west of Manchester @RachelH?

2 Likes

This would suggest itā€™s not Moel-Y-Parc. Curious.

Iā€™m in South Manchester.

I think I could even have London TV if I wanted, Iā€™ll test the theory when I get home later. Itā€™s a smart TV, could I be receiving via the Internet?

Possibly, but in that case I think you would know, since you kind of need to take some action in order to choose ā€œinternetā€ or ā€œtvā€ mode - at least we do. Weā€™ve only recently got our first smart TV (our first flat screen even), so Iā€™m still getting used to it, but I explicitly have to take some action in order to watch something via the internet or something via normal broadcast TV.

In smart TV mode - I think I mean ā€œinternet modeā€ - (on our (Samsung) tv), you get presented with a series of ā€œappsā€ (such as iPlayer, Youtube - canā€™t remember if there is one for S4C, but you can watch S4C via the iPlayer app). You can also go to Chrome-style browser and type in a URL and go to Clic as though you were on a computer/laptop/smartphone, and that can work (although Iā€™ve not manage to get any subtitles at all that way (and only English ones via iPlayer :frowning: ).

1 Like