Recordings of Each Other Speaking Spanish

I will keep an eye out for your next one Stu. Before I started I tried to memorise a few sentences that I was comfortable with but ended up saying completely different stuff. Good luck :+1::+1:

1 Like

Thanks but I think the credit belongs to SSi not me, Iā€™ve never been able to get the hang of any attempts at learning a language so Iā€™m really not a fast learner, itā€™s definitely got to be the method involved that somehow makes it stick.

Sorry for a million questions, but would you recommend continuing with my plan to forge ahead with level 2 before my trip, or would I get more benefit from the Tourist course?

Just to explain a little, we are going to a very touristy town near Malaga called Benalmadena, where we go every year. But although we are based in that area we travel around to all the little Spanish villages that are so far, mostly, untouched by tourism. In previous years we have had a few very quiet days as the locals donā€™t speak English and our Spanish didnā€™t go beyond asking for a beer. Itā€™s in these places that Iā€™d like to be able to say a few Spanish phrases, even if Iā€™m not that competent Iā€™m assured people appreciate the effort!! So, not sure if the Tourist Course or Level 2 would be best - canā€™t fit them both in before I go :frowning:

2 Likes

Thank you! I think Iā€™m getting somewhere with the methodology (although still plenty of fine-tuning to do) - but thereā€™s absolutely no way it can work unless you bring your own hard work and motivation to the party - so I remain extremely impressed with how brilliantly youā€™re doing :sunny:

As for Tourist vs Level 2 - for you - go Level 2, all the way. The tourist stuff opens up some extra vocab, but youā€™ll be able to ask for that anyway - while Level 2 will get you deep into some really flexible patterns - with your genuinely excellent levels of production based on Level 1, youā€™ll be able to get stuck into some hugely impressive real conversations with Level 2 under your belt.

But really, really push yourself to get at least one 2 hour conversation before you go - itā€™ll be like unlocking the flood gates for youā€¦ :sunny:

1 Like

Thanks Aran, spent a bit of time reading through old posts on the forum this evening and have come across one thatā€™s got me worried - latinamerican vs castillian Spanish. It hadnā€™t even occurred to me before now, I was just running off at a tangent with the challenges - but Iā€™m now concerned no-one will understand me anyway as itā€™s the ā€˜wrongā€™ Spanish for where Iā€™m goingā€¦

Off to bed now but would welcome any advice on this - are they massively different?

And yes - will do that 2 hour chat before I go, have signed up to italki :slight_smile:

Thanks as always for your response and help!

2 Likes

Hola Nikki,

This is Gaby, the male voice of SSiS. Donā€™t worry about any differences between Latinamerican vs Peninsular Spanish, you will be understood everywhere with SSiS. To put it in perspective, some words change depending on the country you go to, and there are some small differences in the pronunciation of certain words, same as you see between American and British English. But EVERYONE will understand your Spanish anywhere you go. If anything, they will think you have a cute Argentinean accent, if you imitate my pronunciation :smile:

Buenas noches,
Gaby

3 Likes

lol thanks Gaby, Iā€™ll try to do that :blush:

2 Likes

Yeah, as Gaby says, do NOT worry about this. Iā€™ve talked Spanish to people from Murcia, Basque Country, Madrid, Argentina, Uruguay - the only problem has been my ability to express myself, not their ability to understand me - and the major problem with understanding them has always been speed, never dialect (it can give you the occasional hiccup, but no more than that). Make sure youā€™re doing the accelerated listening exercises every day, and youā€™ll have given yourself the best possible shotā€¦ :sunny:

2 Likes

No progress on getting a recording down yet I am afraid. A bit of domestic drama involving an ambulance and a scare with the granddaughter put paid to any chance of doing one. All was okay though, so maybe Iā€™ll get la oportunidad soon!

Ā”Chao!

Stu

Ā”Hola!

Making this unscripted recording I found very hard, mainly because I felt that I could not really say that much just speaking, without a real context. Its a poor attempt and I know a lot more vocab that I managed to say in the 1 minute recording, but I am hoping it will act as a springboard for future unscripted recordings. It will be great when I can look at a picture, say, and then talk about that, as that would at least give some focus and structure. Hopefully I can do as well as Nikki in the future, when I have gotten up to Challenges 16+ā€¦!

So for what its worth, here it is:

Ā”Chao!

Stu

2 Likes

Wow youā€™re a very harsh critic on yourself - that was fab! I understood it all, even that you speak a little Welsh (although Iā€™d forgotten that word myself). Now you speak a little Spanish too!

WTG

2 Likes

Wow!! Congratulations Stu, that was really very impressive! I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever listened to other students do an unscripted monolog using SSiS material; it must say it sounds completely fluent. Listening I can tell that it is certainly the voice of a foreign person speaking, but I would easily have assumed that you have been living in a Spanish speaking country for a long time. Well done, keep at it!

Gaby

2 Likes

Glad to hear all ok

1 Like

I am I am afraid. I feel that I did not use much in the way of the vocabulary I know and I felt very restricted and repetitive because I did not really have anything to say in a real sense. But many, many thanks for your kind words!

Stu

Many thanks Gaby, coming from you that is praise indeed.

Iā€™m not happy with it because it felt very forced and artificial. I would much rather have more ums and ahs, and actually say something more ā€œrealā€ to be honest - something that forced me to produce the Spanish more naturally than a monologue, and something that stretched my vocabulary more (say a question and answer or describing something). I think one issue is that although by now I have a fair number of patterns, I am still limited in what I can actually talk about subject-wise. I also think I bailed out very early in the piece at the end, because I felt brain freeze coming on. I should have let myself fight through that rising panic of not having anything to say, and actually said something like no puedo recordar lo que queria decir, nesecito pensar rather than just chao! I just keep thinking of what I could have said to keep it goingā€¦

Nevertheless, many thanks again, and yes, I will keep at it. Another recording will come along soon no doubt.

Hasta pronto,

Stu

But thatā€™s because recording yourself speaking a monologue IS forced and artificial!

Your levels of production here are absolutely excellent, Stu - as Gaby says, anyone would presume that youā€™d been doing this for a very long time.

Of course you still have limitations - youā€™re on challenge 13! Youā€™ve got 6 hours of material under your belt! But your ability to communicate with those 6 hours of material is clearly excellent.

Youā€™re ready to put yourself into situations of forced communication - in other words, conversations, where you do NOT lapse back into English. Why not find yourself a partner, and then record yourself having a conversation? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great idea, Iā€™ll try to do just that, thanks :smile:

Stu

1 Like

:bell:[quote=ā€œaran, post:36, topic:5100ā€]
Your levels of production here are absolutely excellent, Stu - as Gaby says, anyone would presume that youā€™d been doing this for a very long time.
[/quote]

All the encouragement means a great deal, so muchas gracias Aran y Gaby with bells on! :bell: :bell: :bell: This has been a really useful exercise in getting back in touch with how new learners feel when they start out with SSi courses, so I am really grateful and hope I can use this renewed empathy with newcomersā€™ experiences using the method, to help and encourage them better. The bonus is, Iā€™m learning a great new language at the same time!

The SSi forums are really brilliant places to hang out and share experiences, so I hope we get more and more people chipping in and starting new Spanish threads :flag_es: ā€¦

Hasta pronto,

Stu

1 Like

Youā€™re helping make it all much more lively, which will in due course lead to more people seeing the value in the forums, so diolch o galon am hynnaā€¦ :slight_smile: :star: :star2:

It sounds correct to me, essence. Good work!

1 Like

Nikkifoster, what you have got in a month time is awesome!
I wish I could make so much progress with my English.
You must say ā€œquiero estar segurAā€ and not ā€œquiero estar seguroā€ as you are a woman.

1 Like