Latest details - Rescue mission for Saith Seren

So do I. I never even being to Cymru what to Saith Seren. …

1 Like

£10.00 pledged. Hope it’s successful. I’m from Wrecsam and visit Saith Seren when I go home - it would be a sad day if it closed. The part of the town near Chester Street is very pretty as well. Wrecsam gets a lot of bad press and the closure of Saith Seren would be a blow to the community.

1 Like

In my eyes, your story makes your pledge all the more valuable and valued. :star:

5 Likes

That’s fantastic! If you dont mind I would like to put your post up on my Facebook page. I know quite a few local Welsh speakers who have the money but haven’t registered as yet, and I hope your post will shake them out of their apathy. Thank you so much. Chris

1 Like

Superb, all of you.

Currently up to £580 set up payments, £125 promised on top of that, and about £850 in one-off payments promised - so that’s about £8.5k a year. A lot more to do, but Saith Seren have now decided to support the campaign in public and will be sending out a press release, and we’ll be getting some paper forms printed up for them to distribute for people who aren’t on the internet or would rather not do it online. :sunny:

8 Likes

YES! This is how I imagined it to be! I love this! We should succeed! :sunny:

4 Likes

Aran,
I have just set up my Gocardless account in favour of SSIW but there was no specification of an amount so I presume this will default to the £10 you have suggested?
I think the principal of supporting Saith Seren is gwych but I have some reservations about pouring this money into landlord’s pockets indefinitely and I can’t help wondering if it would be better spent on a mortgage (very cheap at present), perhaps on a different property, which may be more sustainable and worthwhile for future generations. I appreciate the funding stream would have to be very stable to allow this but a £2000 a month mortgage would fund a building of getting on for a million pounds so perhaps you would need less than that. Maybe it could be owned by SSIW for the long term rather than having to have rescue missions every few years.
Anyway, pob lwc
Nick

Yes, that’s absolutely right :sunny:

I think that’s a good idea, and I know that the board of directors would very much like to be able to purchase the property - if they get enough support to keep the doors open, I’d imagine they’ll be redoubling their efforts to find a way to do exactly that :sunny:

And just this morning we’ve got over the £10k a year mark - pretty impressive, for 6 days of spreading the word.

Thank you everyone who has helped spread the word - please keep on doing so, even though it’s a bit repetitive!

And if you haven’t yet, you can read about it and support it here:

www.SaySomethinginWelsh.com/saithseren

:sunny:

3 Likes

Aran,
Sorri, I miscalculated in my previous reply about a million pound house! I have just done some calculations and one could get a 3 year discounted variable rate 25 year term mortgage (with Bath building society) on a property worth £350,000 and with a £20,000 deposit for £1,862 per month including set-up fees. Some of the £20, 000 deposit may have to be raised as a separate loan. I know it is more complex than paying rent but at least the property would eventually be owned in perpetuity.
Nick

1 Like

Great news! We need to keep up the momentum! I’m looking forward to getting the registration form on paper from the Saith Seren so that I can go after those who aren’t online, or for whatever reason haven’t registered as yet. I know quite a number of people who just need that extra bit of persuasion and a push to get them to fill the form!

2 Likes

Thanks, Nic, really appreciate your input on this, and will be passing your comments on - I know they are looking at that kind of scenario, and it’s clear that ownership would be a much better long-term option, so fingers crossed we can get to that point :sunny:

As of this morning, we’re up to a total of 113 pledges, so over £13.5k per year - another good couple of weeks and we’ll be right on the verge of making this happen…

www.SaySomethinginWelsh.com/saithseren

5 Likes

Good on ya Aran

I will commit to 10 pound [ aussie keyboard ] per month as a one 12 month payment. I already pay a monthly fee to ssiw through pay pal, can I use this system and you sort it out your end.
Diolch Dale

4 Likes

I’ll do the same, if this method works

3 Likes

Brilliant, diolch Dale and Louis - yes, that will certainly work - we’ll sort out the Paypal details if the campaign gets to the point where Saith Seren decide to keep their doors open :sunny: :star2:

1 Like

Then count me in here too. I rather have PayPal then bank thingy … :slight_smile: especially if it can be sorted out as regular payment contract.

4 Likes

Hi not sure if this is the right place to post, but if people are in the area there’s what looks like a good night in the Saith Seren bank holiday monday, the Welsh learners night. Good chance to meet other learners plus it’s free too :slight_smile: :

NOSON WERIN GYMREIG! WELSH FOLK NIGHT!
NOSON RHAD AC Ȃ CHASGLIAD O’I CANEUON
yng nghwmni “Y BAND ARALL” SAITH SEREN, WRECSAM 7:30yhNOS LUN, 4ydd MAI 2015

You are very welcome to join the Saith Seren sesiwn siarad group on Monday
4th May to enjoy the company of “Y Band Arall” at 7:30 pm.

3 Likes

I’m hoping to be there, it should be good!

1 Like

Keep up to date with what’s happening at:

http://savesaithseren.tumblr.com/

Deadline reduced to May 12th for the Board to make their decision - still need about £1k more per month, but more supporters are rolling in.

Pledge £10 a month:

https://dashboard.gocardless.com/api/paylinks/0W52J43PPG

Latest state of play:

We’re up to about £26.5k a year in pledges and other support - we need to raise £790 a month (so 79 more pledges at £10 each) in the last 8 days - need to hit the target by the board meeting on the 12th…

Please share/spread as widely as possible on social media! And/or pledge:

https://dashboard.gocardless.com/api/paylinks/0W52J43PPG

4 Likes