Sharing Favourite Lyrics / Help with Welsh Lyrics / All things Lyrics!

Answering my own questions:
According to the Vox Pictures clip on YouTube.
“Written by Amy Wadge and performed by Ela Hughes for the television series Un Bore Mercher / Keeping Faith produced by Vox Pictures for S4C.”

1 Like

Of the several places I could have left this, I have randomly selected this thread.

1 Like

Don’t know if it’s been too long since you posted this for you to receive replies. . . The translation in the album jacket (I know, I know, a CD!) is as follows:

Hyddgen

So silent the slopes this evening
From Hyddgen to Darren Bwlchgwyn
A thick haze-like shroud o’er the landscape
From the Garn to the lake set within
Not a sound disturbs the brown curlew
As it cries from the mist ‘bove the moor
While the sheep graze still on the hillside
By the Covenant Stones of Glyndwr

Hyddgen, once you had your hour
When the sounds of triumph echoed throughout your land
The sounds of triumph throughout your land

Not a soldier is seen now
From Hyddgen to Darren Bwlchgwyn
The coarse grass of centuries grew there
To hide the blood of our kin
But where once his banner fluttered
On the peak of Pumlomon Fawr
The rocks still testify up there
That Hyddgen had its hour

Did you ever spend time up on Hyddgen
Or walk on Darren Bwlchgwyn
To experience the pride of the mountain
Whose defender great Owain had been?
Did you feel that tumultuous excitement?
Heard the bugler’s heart-warming stand?
It still calls you back to the battle
To free yourself and your land

Hyddgen, once you had your hour
When the sounds of triumph echoed throughout your land
The sounds of triumph throughout your land

Powerful stuff!

H

2 Likes

Hi, does anyone know a good website to find Welsh song lyrics?
I like the song Dawnsia by Fleur de Lys, but I can’t understand some parts because the background music sometimes drowns out the vocals or would it bother anyone if I posted the lyrics I understand so far so that someone can correct/fill in the blanks?

1 Like

Tweet them - https://twitter.com/fleurdelysband
I can almost guarantee that they’ll be only too pleased to help you out.

1 Like

(i never received a reply by the way)

2 Likes

So sorry to hear this. Haved you receive a reply since you last posted here?

1 Like

Hi. This was recently used as a tv programme track and my wife and I were racking our brains figuring out what the chorus lyrics were… Full song…

Bellach dwi’n ugain oed, wedi tyfu mewn i’n ngroen, di blasu be di byw, teimlo bach o boen. I’m now 20yrs old, grown into my skin, tasted a bit of life, felt a bit of pain.

A yndw dwi dal yma, nid yr olaf nac y cyntaf. Yes, I’m still here, not the last or the first.

Dwi’n cerdded mewn i’r tafs, a dio jest ddim run fath ag oddo, ond ella fi ydio. I walk into tafs (I believe reference to the pub in Llangefni, Ynys Môn, called Tafarn y Rhos)
Bwyda fi drwy dy lygaid nydwydd, pwytha fi i fod yn hen fel newydd. Feed my through the eye of your needle, stitch me to be old lile new.

Chorus! After a few listens it’s;
Dawnsia, dawnsia, dawnsia nes bod dy draed di’ rhydd. Dance, dance, dance until your feet are free.
Sa neb yn dy weld di ar ddiwedd y dydd. At the end of the day, nobody sees you is the literal translation, but another way of saying dance like nobody’s watching.

Paid rhoi bai ar lle nid y rhai, ti’n cofio deutha fi, dwi’n cofio deutha chdi. *Can’t make out the first line, do you remember telling me, I remember telling you. Dwi’n gweld hi’n anodd cofio, ond yn haws fyth anghytuno. I find it difficult to remember, but even easier to disagree. Ac ar ol ystyried, yr un sefyllfa, ond lle aeth yr ysfa, am gwestiynau. After consideration, the situation, where did the urge go, the questions. Buan yr ydw innau’n sylwi, doedd na’m rheswm i mi boeni. I quickly realise, there was nothing to worry about. Chdi di’r un sy’n dysgu fi i atgoffa fi i wenu… You’re the one who teaches me to remember to smile.

Dawnsia, dawnsia, dawnsia nes bod dy draed di’ rhydd. Dance, dance, dance until your feet are free.
Sa neb yn dy weld di ar ddiwedd y dydd. At the end of the day, nobody sees you is the literal translation, but another way of saying dance like no one’s watching.

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Lyrics:
Dwi’n Dy Garu Di (I Love You)

Dwi’n dy garu di
Dwi’n dy garu di
Dwi’n dy garu, dy garu, dy garu di.

Dwi’n caru fy nghath,
Dwi’n caru fy nghath,
Dwi’n caru, Dwi’n caru y nghath,
Nicki

Dwi’n eich caru chi
Dwi’n eich caru chi
Dwi’n eich caru, eich caru, eich caru chi.

Dwi’n caru Cymru
Dwi’n caru Cymru
Dwi’n caru, Dwi’n caru, dwi’n caru Cymru
Dwi’n eich caru, eich caru, eich caru chi.

Dwi’n dy garu di
Dwi’n caru Nicki
Dwi’n eich caru chi
Dwi’n caru Cymru
Dwi’n caru Cymru

I love you, I love you, I love you my cat Nicki.

I love you (formal/plural)
I love you (formal/plural)
I love you, I love you, I love you (formal/plural)

I love Wales
I love Wales
I love, I love, I love Wales

I love you all.

I love you (informal)
I love Nicki
I love you all
I love Wales
I love Wales

1 Like

I’ve been looking on-line for the lyrics to Steve Eaves’ Pendramwnwgl to no avail, would anybody happen to know where I might find them, or know what they are and be kind enough to post them here, please?

Diolch

I’ve just had a listen. The lyrics are something like this. I haven’t attempted to translate them but if you need help with the vocab let me know.

Roedd gen i fwriad sicr, cynlluniau ar y gweill
Trefniadau pendant, a rhigol fel y lleill
Dwn i ddim be’ ddaru ddigwydd, i droi’r drol mor sydyn
Wel a deud y gwir yn onest, mi wn i be ddigwyddodd
Wnes i syrthio i lawr

Pendramwnwgl, tin dros ben
Tu chwith allan, allan o 'y mhen

Mae gwyddau gwyllt yn nabod eu llwybrau ar y gwynt
Ar gerynt llif y gwlff, daw eogiaid ar eu hynt
A dw innau’n gorfod dilyn yr un un hen hen reddfau
A galwad hen hen dynfa, lawr yr un un hen hen lwybrau
Tuag ati hi

Mae hyn yn ganwaith mwy, mae o’n fil gwaith gwell
Saith gwaith amgenach, dwy waith mor bell

Mae gennyf i ryw syniad, yn troelli yn fy mhen
Am bethau sydd yn darfod, am bethau’n dŵad i ben
A rhywfath o ail eni, yn digwydd i ni 'leni
Cyn cael atgyfodiad, mae’n rhaid i rywbeth ddarfod
A syrthio i lawr

3 Likes

Diolch o galon Gareth. That’s great, thank you. Now to drive my wife and dog mad by walking about and “singing” it!

1 Like

woaaw interesting:) I love Wales :blush:

Hi all - I’ve been trying to decipher the lyrics to the folk song Dadl Dau - I can make out a few here and there but would love to have the full set. Has anyone else got them? Diolch!

1 Like

I’ve only just found this thread and really enjoyed reading it. I especially like the love for Leonard Cohen…

I was surprised to learn recently that there was a posthumous album of songs he never got round to releasing: Thanks for the Dance

If you like Cohen it’s well worth finding if you haven’t come across it yet. I think it’s the best of his later albums, which is some achievement. The lyrics are brilliant, as you’d expect. From Moving on:

I loved your face, I loved your hair
Your T-shirts and your evening wear
As for the world, the job, the war
I ditched them all to love you more

And now you’re gone, now you’re gone
As if there ever was a you
Who broke the heart and made it new
Who’s moving on? Who’s kidding who?

I loved your moods, I loved the way
They threatened every single day
Your beauty ruled me, though I knew
'Twas more hormonal than the view

That last couple of lines is just sublime…

1 Like

And here’s the direct link to the channel https://www.youtube.com/@NosonLawen

2 Likes

This looks potentially very useful. This new wiki is asking for volunteers to add Welsh song lyrics (& translations into English) as there is a lack of lyric sites covering much Welsh music.

They are keen to get pop & more modern songs as well as traditional tunes so learners are able to understand & to sing along if they wish! The songs are initially displayed with the English translations ‘fuzzed out’ (you click to display the translation on the right):

2 Likes

Hi @splashwellykid! Thank you for sharing this interesting link - what an interesting find! :smiley:

I hope you don’t mind, but I have moved it to this thread about lyrics so it may be easier to find in the future.

Diolch! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m not sure if anyone replied to your question but they can be found in the sleeve notes of a Cerys Matthews album. Think it’s Hullabaloo? The first track is a medley of Rali Twm Siôn, Dadl Dau and a couple of other instrumentals and there are lyrics for all the songs on the album.

1 Like

I wrote the lyrics down as well, if you’re able to read my terrible scrawl

1 Like