Rownd a Rownd

That type’s such a staple of soaps, surely not every village has its criminal mastermind (or at least vaguely dodgy) Lets hope that he’s actually just off at auditions for the next series of…

He does a bit of trading, we know that!
But I came on to say, bets on Llio being pregnant?

2 Likes

And things are looking more and more strange!

It would seem that Barry’s work is as close to the line of the law as he can be and be able to escape prosecution! I met him when he was ill and thought he was lovely and written in just the right way to get through to men that the doctor is there to help you and can help you! It is a shock to find he is such a naughty boy!

1 Like

Does anyone believe that David will really tell Dani yfory?

1 Like

I don’t think he’s going to tell Dani. I feel bad for everyone in this love triangle. I will say that Rhys is quickly becoming my favorite character.

I’ve only recently been watching this show. Welsh soap operas must be different from American ones. The story lines are somewhat tame and everyone is still alive. I’m not complaining though as I’m really enjoying the show.

4 Likes

If you don’t mind convoluted plot lines and lots of bodies, try “35 Diwrnod” coming back here on Sunday at 9.00 pm. Not sure of International availability. I can’t guarantee body count, previous series have varied, but, if you can get it, you can always try it and see! It isn’t a soap in the true sense. R&R started as the story of the kids running a paper round, which means it is less prone to violence than some!
Croeso to the Forum! I guess you are in USA. How long have you been learning Welsh? This forum is full of friendly and helpful people like @aran, who runs the whole shebang, @Sionned who runs the SSiW map and will put you on if you visit the’ Please add me to the SSiW Map’ thread and @tatjana who is a tech wizz. I guess you have found FAQ!

1 Like

Oh I hate plot lines like this! Encage David in a corner and make everyone sorry for Dani for a self-inflicted injury,when she is actually a self-centred female who does not deserve so much sympathy! Artificial plotting - just like those US soaps!

I agree, it does seem a bit contrived…but not nearly as bad as US soaps. Hopefully ‘Rownd a Rownd’ 's ability to surprise and delight will triumph here.

Well, at least Dani is admitting it was her own fault. Now Wyn has to see reason. Maybe miracles do happen?

1 Like

Looks like I have a bit to catch up on, will do so tomorrow, Rownd a Rownd marathon on the horizon!

Yes, I’m all up to date now, Wyn, however, is like a few people I’ve come across, bully first then never quite see reason later as it would seem like a weakness.
I noticed that Dani’s sister used ‘gallu’ at the beginning of the episode, would she have said that in real life if living and educated in the Menai Bridge area?

I don’t think so, but I believe, before I started watching. some of the families moved about between north and south - perhaps to make mixed up usage believable?? Anyone know?

1 Like

It depends a little on usage but I know a lovely lady by the name of Catrin who was born and raised on the Llŷn who I have witnessed using “gallu” very often.

4 Likes

There are very few words which are absolutely fixed on a north/south basis (although that changes a bit when you drill right down to really local dialects).

I don’t think I’ve ever heard a Gog say ‘sa i’ or ‘so fe’ except in mimicry - you also wouldn’t here ‘fe’ instead of ‘fo’ outside of church or some ‘making a real point of it’ formal situation (and usually not even then) - and then a bunch of nouns…

But gallu/medru are both definitely common in the north… :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Many thanks, so if I’ve done northern SSiW that’s just something I pick up in time, and I suppose that it’s a positive that I’m recognising this in speech.

2 Likes

I think I’ve heard her say ble as well, which I had previously thought was “southern”.

All less clear-cut than I thought obviously :slight_smile:

I did find it interesting when David says something in “southern” and Rhys reacts in “northern” as if David had said it in “northern” as well.

Two places I remember are when they were in the hotel downstairs in the bar and David asked him something with Wyt ti’n moyn …? and Rhys responded with Nac oes!, which is apparently not uncommon in the north as a response to Ti isio …? based on the fact that that construction originated in something like Oes isio … arnat ti? "is the need/want of … on you? = do you want …?* – and the other in the recent episode where David twice said, on separate occasions, Alla i ddim … and Rhys responded with Na fedri.

2 Likes

Sounds very like my interaction with SSiW, North! I am actually using some gog now, but in extremis, back I go to the south in my head!

Interesting! I sometimes hear “oes” when I’m not expecting it, and I’ve wondered why oes and not ydy/yw - I’ll have to pay attention so I can give some examples. But maybe it’s a “northern thing” sometimes! :slight_smile:

As I remember, whereas in the north, need is expressed by ‘dwi angen rhywbeth’’ in the south it is ‘mae isie rhywbeth gyda fi’ So, do you need in the gogledd is ‘Wy ti angen’ answer ydy or nag ydy; do you need in the south is ‘oes gyda ti’ answered by Oes or Nag oes! @aran, @Iestyn? Not sure of spelling or accuracy, but I seemed to use ‘Oes/Nag oes’ more often in the south!

1 Like