Rownd a Rownd

to go to prison - I think (but please correct if I’m wrong) it was because the ‘holding’ cells at the Old Bailey were, or may even still be, under ground level in the building

1 Like

Yes his son, but there is yet another one, currently over in Spain, working for Wyn.
I had never seen him before until we had some episodes set in Spain when Alwenna went out there (but he had been in the programme before apparently). I’ve forgotten his name again, but he did come back ot Wales for a while, and appeared in quite a few episodes, but seemed to get fed up and cleared off again.

It’s a term I’d more associate with Oxford or Cambridge Universities. I’m not sure if the newer universities use it, but it means to be expelled, essentially. There may be varying degrees of being chucked out (maybe some of them admit the possibility of being allowed to re-enter after a period of penance, but I’m not sure about that.

Then there is the rather lovely “rustication”:

1 Like

To @philipnewton By ‘sent down’ this old fashioned dragon meant expelled! I’d forgotten rustication, which I associate with temporary sending down! Oh, and I put ‘gross indecency’ before but it was 'gross moral turpitude! We had lots of discussion on the sort of acts that might count, but I never found out!
To @mikeellwood Mike bach, I think there are just the three sons. Wasn’t it Sion who came back from Spain temporarily? Mind, until we saw him in Spain, I was unaware of his existence!! Now, remind me, is Alwenna one of Wyn’s scattered offspring by various wives/girl friends/brief liaisons? If she is Sion and Dewi’s Mam, maybe he will help Dewi out?

1 Like

Ah diolch Henddraig. @philipnewton had already mentioned Sion. Sorry. Brain-fry moment. :slight_smile:

Alwenna is Philip’s soon to be ex-wife (played by the lovely Ffion Dafis:

http://www.s4c.cymru/rowndarownd/rw/uploads/2010/10/alwenna-960x540.jpg

(also well known as the leader of Plaid Werdd (or whatever they call them in the series), in Byw Celwydd. Her character is called Rhiannon Roberts).

And because one picture of Ffion Dafis is never enough … :slight_smile:

And is she supposed to be Wyn’s daughter? Just by look, I wouldn’t guess that!

No, she is Wyn’s sister.

1 Like

Well, I’d be even less likely to have guessed that! Not taking after the same parent are they!

1 Like

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

A
L
E
R
T

Little Miss Spoiled ‘refuses to act her age’ making life awful for her staff! Silly girl! She can’t magic up good hairdressers all that easily! Although I’m sure Sophie will be delighted to oblige!
Jason is going to be really popular with Barry!
“Oh Megan fach! Move in with me! Marry me!” then what? Money handed over for something and she vanishes in a cloud of dust back to husband, wherever he is lurking!
As for Dewi, as expected!

:slight_smile: Me neither.

:slight_smile: Well, we do have to allow for a little dramatic licence. Either that or plastic surgery … :slight_smile:

Wyn always seems to me to have that cherubic, baby-like look (a bit like Winston Churchill, in that respect). I don’t think he’d win a beauty contest though, even a baby one.

Alwenna on the other hand…

Do we know there is a husband, or did we just speculate this? (I do think it quite likely though, a piece of inspired guesswork/detective work on your part).

She mentioned once being a widow and visiting her husband’s grave when Mr Lloyd was visiting his wife’s.

Though of course it’s hard to tell whether that was just part of the story as well.

1 Like

To be honest, I started to think I’d got the wrong idea when she went off to wherever it was instead of Bournmouth. I expected her to pop off to hubby! I had understood us to have seen her with her husband sometime back when, but I get less and less sure!

Or at least with a man, whom we might have speculated was her husband. But I also get less sure as time goes on, about what I am remembering, and what I am imagining. She drives a swanky car (unbeknown to Mr Lloyd of course). Did she buy that herself (perhaps out of ill-gotten gains, from some other old man with more money than sense), or did a husband / partner provide it?).

It wouldn’t be beyond her to find a likely looking grave somewhere, of someone about the right age who died about the right time, and which doesn’t mention a wife or children. (Or she could even find someone married to a Megan probably). Do we know her surname? Does Mr Lloyd I wonder?
Anyway, it would all be part of her act to get Mr Lloyd to take her to the cemetery, to put flowers on the grave, and tearfully ask Edwin if she could have a moment. (Have we actually seen such a scene already? I half think we have, but it’s probably my imagination again).

I think there is no doubt that she is NOT a widow! For the rest, I cannot be sure… Waiting with breath baited and trusting in Mr. Lloyd’s friends to help him during and after her machinations!

Mmmm Rwan beth?
Sticky fingers in bank account (of course couples have joint accounts, Edwin… no doubt after being ‘obliged’ to pay for something for him) … and then…Oh dear!

Spoiler 20.06.2017
p
o
i
l
e
r
So, was that her grand plan all along?

If it turns out that she’s not free to marry, what then, I wonder?

Maybe she can get him to set up a joint account before the wedding, and then she can clear it out and be off before the wedding is supposed to take place…

meanwhile, Jason and Erin probably deserve each other.

2 Likes

BTW, was Megan’s official story that she was recently (-ish) widowed, and cannot afford to keep her old house on, and has to leave it, and that’s why she was supposedly moving down to Bournemouth (to live with the sister-in-law)?

Presumably then she is ostensibly down-sizing, and the pieces she gave to Edwin are supposedly from her old home.

I wonder if really they came from a jumble sale or something?
I can imagine that one day, one of Mr Lloyd’s chapel friends will call in and recognise one or more of the pieces as one he sold recently in a jumble sale, and so they (probably) couldn’t have come from Megan’s old house. This might be enough to plant the seed of doubt about Megan into Mr Lloyd’s mind.

1 Like

my theory was as you suggest re-how she plans to fleece him without the need for prior matrimony! I thought she claimed to be renting, having already downsized, but how she explained lack of cash, I don’t know. He doesn’t seem to have noticed that she feels none of the anguish he was suffering at the idea of remarriage. Now we know she wouldn’t give house room to cheapish Victorian ornaments. She can afford to run a fancy car and pop,off to the sun at zero notice. She knows how much Edwin has, so,presumably thinks it’s not too little to be worth her bothering. Just what she has and whether she has a partner or husband, who knows! To be fair to her, with current interest rates, you need a huge amount of capital to get any measurable income!

One small point about Megan … we saw her, a few weeks ago I guess, fumbling to remove a wedding ring before it was seen.

3 Likes

Oh diolch yn fawr, Geraint! I knew I had reason to think she had a husband, but I couldn’t remember what it was!! You have reminded me!!

1 Like