Rownd a Rownd

This thing with Barry, David and Rhys going into the cafe was a plot by Barry in my opinion. He knew Dani wouldn’t be far away and he took the chance, maybe his first real chance since that “dwi mor sori.” scene, to kick her while she’s down and get some sort of slightly nasty revenge. Well done lad, Dani is not nice at all in my opinion.

1 Like

Tiny spoiler from the S4C amserlen for heno: (27.06.2017)

Wedi iddi gytuno i symud rhywfaint o’i heiddo draw i’r garej, mae Mr Lloyd yn awyddus iawn i fynd â Megan am dro i’r dref lle mae syrpreis yn ei disgwyl. Nid yw Megan yn hoff o syrpreisus, ond wedi dweud hynny, mae hi wrth ei bodd gyda’r hyn mae hi’n ei weld yn nrôr Mr Lloyd. Mae gan Jason gynlluniau arbennig ar gyfer Erin heno wedi iddo ddod i ddeall bod Barry’n treulio’r noson i ffwrdd. Ond yn anffodus mae’n cael galwad ffôn gan Siân sy’n gwneud pethau’n anodd ac mae’r noson dawel i ddau yn cymryd tro annisgwyl.

I think the time for Megan to be rumbled is approaching. Probably not fully yet, but enough to sow the seed of doubt in Mr Lloyd’s mind?

Shall not read it until I’ve seen the episode! I hate knowing things in advance!! Where is the satisfaction in predicting? Or the appreciation in finding that the scriptwriters cleverly bamboozled me? I hated it when folk purchased a zine of mine, got me to sign it (embarrassing) and then turned to the end to see how it finished!! Grr! :angry: All that careful plotting and writing wasted!!

To be fair, it’s more of a tease than a spoiler.

(Just looked up “tease” in Welsh. As a noun, it’s “poenyn”.

As a verb, it is one of the secondary meanings of “poeni”.

There is also the slightly too English-sounding “pryfocio”.

That must have been frustrating. But perhaps some people need to know the ending, and then enjoy working back as to how it came about.

What was the zine about?

Nothing erudite! I have mentioned elsewhere that I am an aged Star Trek fan (original series). One of many who started writing Trek stories because it was cancelled and we had to write our own for lack of episodes! Nobody guessed we would make so much fuss that, after StarWars, Paramount would say, ‘Don’t we own something called StarTrek?’ And the rest, as they say includes an unlaunched shuttle, movies after movies, series after…

1 Like

OK, so they are making some things blindingly obvious!
Wel,
S
P
O
iL
E
R

A
L
E
R
T

Firstly, Jason 0 Erin lots and Barry unknowing accomplice!
I hate all the underlining! Megan IS AFTER his arian! Almost makes me think she’ll turn out to be totally innocent, although I can’t see how unless she is being blackmailed, psychologically abused or such! Wait with unbaited breath!

Yndy tad. Must admit, it didn’t work out quite how I had imagined.

While I am no fan of Michelle’s, she at least has got the measure of Megan.

Poor old Jason (did I really write that?) must be feeling quite, er, deflated.

1 Like

“yndy tad”? I read that as ‘yes dad’. Er? Dwi’n ddraig benywaidd!

I’m sure we’ve had this conversation before.

“tad” here is used as a sort of reinforcer, so the whole phrase means something like “yes, certainly!”.

If you are able to re-watch tonight’s episode (e.g. on Clic, or the S4C phone app), you’ll hear “yndy tad” used at least once. (That’s actually why I used it - I thought you might recognise it. :slight_smile: It’s quite common on RaR.

I was puzzled by its derivation for a long time, but eventually found out, somewhere online, that it probably was a reference to the almighty (as many “oaths” are, in English as well as Welsh).
So it might once have had the idea of “yes, by god!”, or something similar.

2 Likes

Found an example here:

http://bangortalk.org.uk/pdfs/siarad/roberts2.pdf

See line (1086)

This is one of those academic linguistic studies, recording the speech of ordinary Welsh speakers.
Someone replies “yndy tad” and they translate it as “yes of course”.

p.s. interesting that this is Bangor uni, and the speaker refers to Menai Bridge in the first line, so I’m wondering if “yndy tad” is particularly an expression used around that part of N.Wales.

1 Like

Dyma ni: dw i 'di ffeindo hi eto:

(google books: “The Welsh answering system”:

2 Likes

Like me crying O Duw Fawr! Diolch! When we get a try!!
I am quite willing to believe you’ve told me about Yndy tad before! My memory grows not better with age!!!
p.s. I’d say, “Yn wir iawn!” when you use 'Yndy tad"!

When David came into the Copa near the end, Meical said something like wyneb.

Literally, “face”, of course, but does this mean something like “cheek” in this instance, as in “you’ve got a lot of cheek to show up here / you’re very bold/brazen” ?

Or is it literal, as in something like “I don’t want to see your face here”?

I was also intrigued by this.

In the English subtitles, they translated it as “you’ve got some front”.
I can’t remember what the Welsh subtitle said, but I do remember that “wyneb” came into it.
I suppose that “fronting up” and “facing up” (to something/someone) are similar ideas, and that the Welsh phrase would be more or less recognisable when translated literally into English.
Must go back and see (and hopefully hear) exactly what he said.

If you look up “wyneb” in gweiadur.com, there are quite a few phrases including it:

http://www.gweiadur.com/en/Pawb/wyneb#Tab=phrases

including:

bod â digon o wyneb
[bod yn ddigon eofn; bod yn ddigon digywilydd]

to be cheeky enough

…so there is obviously an association in Welsh (as there is in English) with “face” and having a bit of cheek, or nerve (or in this case, downright courage, I would say).

1 Like

Does anyone know why episode 53 is missing off iplayer? :frowning:

1 Like

No. I see it’s missing from iPlayer whether I look via my computer (Windows 7/Chrome) or our Samsung smart TV.

It’s there on Clic though:

http://www.s4c.cymru/clic/c_level2.shtml?programme_id=536271846

(Well, they don’t show episode numbers on Clic, but it will be the one from 27th June 2017).
SPOILER - episode 29.06.2017

Well, it looks as though Michelle is pretty close to rumbling Megan.
I’m wondering why Megan is bothering to get rid of Meical and Michelle though. I’d assumed she would have cleaned him out and cleared out herself before the ceremony, or if not, very soon afterwards. She obviously afraid that they might somehow stop Mr Llloyd from letting her get away with his money, but I didn’t think it would take her long to do that.

She clearly didn’t want Michelle seeing her mail, so perhaps it is in a name other than the one she is known by to Mr Lloyd & co. And also maybe her address is a bit of a giveaway - i.e. not where she claims to live, and also perhaps a lot posher than her supposedly reduced circumstances would suggest.
.(Edited to correct the dates (I hope all mistakes were corrected!) - thanks @henddraig )

1 Like

Thank you Mike.

Not to be picky, but time travel?? Did you mean 27/06 or 29/06?
Ah, 29/06! (read spoiler!) Woops, 27/06, I looked on my TV! But your comments seemed to fit with last episode on 29th June! Mehefin 29.

Episode 53 is on iPlayer now, no idea what the problem was but you can all relax now.

1 Like