Rownd a Rownd

Erin was practicing driving with Siân, but they got into an argument which culminated in Erin leaving the car, walking on the road. Meanwhile, David and Rhys were on their way to the airport for a trip to Bali. David turned towards the back to make sure they had their passports. In that moment Rhys sees that there is a person walking down the road and calls David to attention. While trying to avoid Erin, David loses control of the car, crashing it into a road construction site, and the impact set the car flying and spinning and landing on its roof.

3 Likes

Thank you!

Yes, that seemed to come out of nowhere. Some of us found that a rather cheap and not-terribly convincing plotline. But anyway, they have been careless, and I think it’s about to blow up in their faces…

1 Like

Erin also blamed herself for causing the car crash, and Rhys may be doing so as well as he’s not talking to his sister (and she’s trying to mend things by doing the marathon / 10K run).

1 Like

Talking of Erin’s marathon, when she was showing off her running gear to her Dad, he said

“Digon o sioe”.

I knew what that meant literally (“enough of a show”), but I assumed it had some idiomatic meaning.
She seemed pleased, so it must have been complimentary (although he was probably humouring her).

I didn’t get round to looking at the English subtitles, but just now thought of looking in Gweiadur.com, and it gives “a picture” (also “pert” - “pretty” and “atyniadol” - “attractive”, “fetching”).

I think Iris has used it about baby Tom as well.

The impression I’ve received is that sioe can refer to something good-looking.

1 Like

Plenty of show! “There is plenty of show about her,” I have heard, usually about very dressy ladies like supermodels or folk aiming to look that way! Erin, yes, but Tom? Was he dressed up in eye catching fashion?

Well, Arthur dressed him up for that photo competition (but I don’t know if that was the occasion).

1 Like

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

A
L
E.
R
T

Well, idiots deserve knees in uncomfy spots! But Erin is a bitch of the first water! Those boys need expert help!

Yes x 2! :slight_smile:

But I did think she handled the idiot very well!

BTW, interesting, the Welsh use of “hen ast”. I know the two words usually do go together, but in English, we wouldn’t normally call a young lady of Erin’s age an “old b…”. “little b…” more like.

1 Like

Missed that totally! I suppose you’re sure what you heard? I’ll rewatch! Hen for Erin definitely seems wrong!

I didn’t catch that at all either, but I’m pretty sure I’ve seen examples in reading of ‘hen’ being used – I don’t know – dismissively? As a way of diminishing something, rather than having anything to do with actual age? – Which would fit with “little” in @mikeellwood’s gloss, rather than the literal ‘old’…

1 Like

I think I’ve heard Cau dy hen geg for example, as a more emphatic “shut your mouth”.

Another linguistic point relating to RaR: “gennod” is a much used word on RaR (spelt “genod” in the s/t I noticed tonight).

Although I hadn’t checked, I’d sort of assumed it was the plural of “geneth”.
However, when I checked, I found that the plural of “geneth” was “genethod”.

And of course “gennod” is the plural of “hogen” or “hogan” - RaR prefers “hogan”. GPC seems to prefer “hogen”. Gweaidur.com has both. And the full plural is actually “hogennod”, but obviously “gennod” for short.

1 Like

hen ast was used by Iolo in Copa.
I noticed it in the Welsh subtitles. Can’t remember if I actually heard it.

I’ve seen hen used in pet names for children - hen gena bach, for instance, word for word little old bear cub but translated in Harry Potter as little tyke.

1 Like

Yes, people are always calling each other genod and hogia(u).

What exactly does Michelle think she’s doing at the end of the episode?

Other than making the place unlivable you mean? I presume there is some sort of “if we could afford it we’d…” project she has discussed in the past with Meic and she’s trying to force him to use the inheritance for that! Another candidate for bitch-hood!
p.s, I rather thought Kelvin was a bit hen pecked but he’s sure shown a macho side!

She was seen a couple of episodes ago planning on getting a new kitchen with Meical’s inheritance from David. She’d got kitchen envy since cleaning Barry’s, and was telling Britney about how it was knocked through into the living room & speculating about where they could borrow a sledgehammer. So yeah, basically, making the house unlivable to force Meical’s hand.

1 Like