Rownd a Rownd

People keen on spending other people’s money…

(The same reason why Kay initially downplayed the amount she was going to get, to stop her family from spending it all when it wasn’t even their money.)

Diolch! I had forgotten that conversation! It’s lovely to know my devious mind is still working OK!

Kay briefly went up in my estimation some episodes ago when she implied some of the money could go to help Kylie go to university. Kylie looked surprised but pleased.

Later when Ken challenged her she said, dismissively, “well, I had to say something didn’t I?”

arrrgh! Whe is she so horrible to her family?

I’m waiting to see if that’s a load-bearing wall she’s smashing… :scream:

1 Like

Is she that tŵp?
S
P
O
I
L
E
R

A
L
E
R
T
Oh dear! Someone used Kelvin as a patsy, dw i’n meddwl! I can’t believe he purposely smuggled anything! Or would have known how! I mean how on a stag w/e ina strange place to get what he’s supposed to have brought!
Embarrassing for Erin and Jason! I wish I could see a way for Michelle to get to pay for the wall!

1 Like

Possibly one of his “mêts” from the stag weekend did it just for a “joc”.

Oh, good point. Possibly not though, as it already had a serving-hatch “hole”, but then, I have no idea of the technicalities. If it is, Michelle will get a right blistering from Terry when he sees it. And he won’t have Kelvin to help him…hmm, which might actually speed up the job, come to think.

2 Likes

A good theory. There’s also been a number of mentions of the presents he’s bringing home for everyone (and I notice he isn’t using anrhegion, but something more Wenglish like presentiau - I haven’t actually checked the subtitiles). Wonder if the drugs are in the presents somehow…
[quote=“mikeellwood, post:726,
topic:578”]
as it already had a serving-hatch “hole”
[/quote]
Possibly depends on if she wants the entire wall gone, or just below the “hole”…I think she’s likely to get a right blistering from Terry no matter what… :slight_smile:

I do sometimes wonder how actually useful Kelvin is on any given job site… :wink:

2 Likes

I went through the Welsh subtitles for the most recent episode, and he used “presant” both times.

Yes, I wonder.

:slight_smile: Possibly makes a good panad. And to think, Lowri told Ken “I’m lucky to have him”!

Interested to note 2 uses of the preterite of bod in that episode (the “bu” form). Since the discussion on that subject recently, I’ve been trying to listen out for it on RC and S4C. I wouldn’t have caught these depending on my ears, but I spotted them in the Welsh subtitles:

Phillip to Iolo: “fuodd o yma yn chwilio amdana chdi…” which the English subtitles rendered as
“he’s been here…” (which is what I would expect, based on Gareth King’s big grammar book).

Wil to Erin: “Fues ti’n lwcus” which I think was rendered as “you were lucky”.
Perhaps the preterite was used here (rather than the imperfect) to emphasis that she’d been lucky on this one, short-lived occasion, not that she’d been lucky over a period.

And a new expression to me, used by John to Erin, when he was trying to explain to her why he didn’t quite believe her: “a ballu” which gweiadur.com tells me means “and so on”.
He used it after “after all that business with Iolo…”. However, the English subtitles didn’t translate the “a ballu” bit.

3 Likes

“Ballu” gets used a heck of a lot in the north. Our very own Catrin uses it a lot in the growth club recordings.

2 Likes

I noticed a ballu in Manon Steffan Ross’ Pluen several times. I couldn’t find it but in context it seemed to mean ‘and that/and all that/etc’. Now I know for sure - diolch @mikeellwood! :grin:

1 Like

I’m still catching up. I don’t know Vince’s back story but he seems like a good guy. He finds out Lolo needs a place to stay and immediately offers to let him sleep on their couch. I can’t imagine what Cathryn sees in Lolo to make her want to cheat on Vince.

I like John and Sion together. They seem very well suited and I like that she’s always there for Wil, Erin, and especially Rhys at this time. I did find out she was almost married to Mathew. I can’t picture them together to be honest.

Why is Kay mad all the time? She seems to have a permanent chip on her shoulder. Does anything make her happy?

1 Like

I didn’t notice it - probably because I was conscientiously ploughing on through without too much pause whenever I got the gist - but I’ve now looked it up in the GPC, which reckons it’s a contraction of a rhywbethau felly. Which makes sense…

1 Like

Is Vince a surrogate step-dad to Owain? I know Mair is Vince and Sophie’s daughter but Owain’s father is from Sophie’s previous marriage. Vince seems to look after Owain a lot too when he is also looking after Mair. He even made sure that Owain apologized to Rhys for making a mess in the garage.

Yes I think Vince is effectively his step dad.

When Owain got knocked down by a car (by Kay, of all people) Sophie kind of blamed Vince (for letting him play football in front of the shops without being supervised) and implied he didnt look after him properly because he wasnt his real dad. Vince protested. hotly that he’d been a good a dad to Owain as anyone could be.

1 Like

Come to think, I don’t know whether Owain calls Vince “Dad” or not. I must listen out for it.
I know that Robbie calls Kelvin just “Kelvin”, which seems slightly disrespectful, somehow.

Isn’t that generational? My dad was obliged to call his stepmother ‘mum’ although he always stressed ‘step mother’ when referring to her! But modern kids are much freer with given names than we were. i am quite impressed with the kids using chi, but maybe it’s usually chidi and my southern ear misses that!

I haven’t noticed that in Rownd a Rownd, but I suspect you’re not mistaken -
I’m reading another Manon Steffan Ros (Prism, on @netmouse’s recommendation) and I did notice it in that.

I think that because English no longer makes that distinction, and lots of other languages still do, we sort of lump them all in together as being like tu/vous, or du/Sie, or whatever we’re most familiar with, forgetting that all those other languages are each doing their own thing (Welsh included), and it’s just the oddity of English that makes us see them so alike. I think vous for parents in French would these days be the preserve only of the fearsomely posh and well-to-do, which isn’t really applicable here :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, and I’ve also noticed it in things like Sam Tân - seems to be fairly normal, although my kids wouldn’t dream of it!

I hope you’re enjoying Prism! I thought it was very effective. Maybe writing for older kids gives her the freedom not to have to be 100% realistic, while still dealing with important issues.

(Mind you, in a rare foray back into Saesneg, I seem to be (re-)reading Philip Pullman at the moment - multiply above statement by about a million…!)

I suppose the point I was making about Robbie and Kelvin was that he doesn’t respect him a great deal…perhaps because none of the adults in the household (especially Kay) shows him much respect. I have some sympathy with Kelvin (who probably shouldn’t really still be living with his parents anyway), continually being put down by his mum.

Kelvin and Lowri were supposed to be buying one of the houses that Terry and Kelvin were building at one time weren’t they?
I don’t remember what happened about that. Perhaps they simply couldn’t afford it.
Wouldn’t surprise me if Kay had put the kibosh on it somehow.

@henddraig - “chdi” is definitely heard on RaR a lot. I think the kids tend to use “chi” to their parents though. We learn “chdi” on the northern SSiW course, so it’s fairly recognisable.

1 Like

When I was young, I briefly dated a Dutch girl who called her parents U, which I also found unusual.

I asked around a bit and got the impression that this was because her parents were fairly old when they had her, and in her parents’ generation it was still more widely considered appropriate for children to address their parents with the polite pronoun, while children the same age as she but whose parents were 10 or 15 years younger would generally use the informal.

I think here in Germany, my grandfather called his parents Sie but I don’t think my mother called her father that any more.